Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fasting side effects
Flex
post Nov 29, 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #1

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 5877

I am planning on doing a 5 day fast (water, but no food for the entire 5 days) and if health permits, add an additional week. What are the potential health risks of such a fast? Any long term damage?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Nov 29, 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 4768

If you havent fasted in a while then all those toxins that were stored in your bodies fat cells from years ago will become released and could put you in the hospital. If you havent fasted in a long time, its best to ease into it slowly.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Nov 29, 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #3

God

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Nov 29, 2006, 04:33 PM) *

If you havent fasted in a while then all those toxins that were stored in your bodies fat cells from years ago will become released and could put you in the hospital. If you havent fasted in a long time, its best to ease into it slowly.

Well, if that is all I have to worry about, we will see if I am in the hospitol in a few days smile.gif
+Quote Post
Rick
post Nov 29, 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

The latest research shows there are no health benefits to fasting at all, but only risk. To lose weight, reduced food intake and exercise are all that's needed.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Nov 29, 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #5

God

QUOTE(Rick @ Nov 29, 2006, 04:40 PM) *

The latest research shows there are no health benefits to fasting at all, but only risk. To lose weight, reduced food intake and exercise are all that's needed.

I am actually not concerned about losing weight at all. I am in the best shape of my life. I was going to do this as more of a spiritual experience (namely to see if I have some God dilusions in my altered state of consciousnes)
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Nov 29, 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #6

God

Member No.: 4768

Theres a lot smarter ways to having spiritual experiences than starving your body. Buddah took that whole starving thing to the extreme by only eating a grain of rice per day. Then he came to a revelation and changed his whole outlook on fasting. If you really want some spiritual experiences, meditate outside for 5 days.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Nov 29, 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

Ask the experts:

http://www.islamfortoday.com/ramadan05.htm

(Hunger pangs are a bit like foreskin - you might try and remove them, but either evolution or God [or both?] put them there for a good reason wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Flex
post Nov 29, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #8

God

I have always identified with struggle. My times of greatest accomplisment have always come when most people would be in despair. I feel that it is right, for at least 3 days. I have spent more than 5 days meditating in the woods (well not much more 7 days in the Olympic National Forest alone) and that was a very life changing experience. I also spent an entire month alone in a house right on the beach, and I mean alone, I didn't so much as have a phone or electricity for that matter. I have a feeling that this is just something I have to do. With that said, I am just curious as to the long term effects, only dire long term consequence will change my mind.

And what exactly is the reason for foreskin? lol
+Quote Post
Rick
post Nov 30, 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #9

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Three to five days of not eating, but drinking water, will probably not cause permanent damage. However, it will take you several days to recover and get your strength back. Certain consciousness expanding substances will have a greater psychological effect without the stress of fasting. Those substances generally suppress hunger, so you will get the empty stomach experience too, at least for one day. You also need to prepare yourself by learning all you can about expanded states of consciousness. A trusted and experienced assistant is also advisable. Let me go on record here as saying that I never recommend to anyone in general to take (or not take) any consciousness expanding substance. That is one's own decison.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Nov 30, 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #10

God

QUOTE(Rick @ Nov 30, 2006, 09:42 AM) *

Three to five days of not eating, but drinking water, will probably not cause permanent damage. However, it will take you several days to recover and get your strength back. Certain consciousness expanding substances will have a greater psychological effect without the stress of fasting. Those substances generally suppress hunger, so you will get the empty stomach experience too, at least for one day. You also need to prepare yourself by learning all you can about expanded states of consciousness. A trusted and experienced assistant is also advisable. Let me go on record here as saying that I never recommend to anyone in general to take (or not take) any consciousness expanding substance. That is one's own decison.

The only problem I have with that route, is that I do not trust the suppliers of such substances.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Dec 01, 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #11

God

Alright it is 62 hours into this fast and my energy levels are no different than before I started. I have yet to feel so much as a sense of hunger (not even as much as the typical waiting for dinner hunger), and no head aches what so ever. I'm going to push the limits with a 10 mile run right now. Hopefuly this will speed up the process. My weight has dropped from 158 to 151 lbs but other than that I have had no effects at all.
+Quote Post
simon
post Jan 27, 2007, 06:16 AM
Post #12

Aspiring

Member No.: 6876

[/quote]The only problem I have with that route, is that I do not trust the suppliers of such substances.
[/quote]

Can you not get to a natural source?
+Quote Post
simon
post Jan 27, 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #13

Aspiring

Member No.: 6876

I can appreciate fasting as a brain change method but why would you want to be quite so harsh to your body by running 10 miles, surely a good walk and yoga would be better !?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Jan 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #14

God

QUOTE(simon @ Jan 27, 2007, 06:19 AM) *

I can appreciate fasting as a brain change method but why would you want to be quite so harsh to your body by running 10 miles, surely a good walk and yoga would be better !?

I am a wrestler, I love testing my bodies limits smile.gif I am young I can take it~I am a huge fan of yoga as well.

Have you ever tried running anything more than like 5 miles? There is a point (for me at about 6 miles) that extreme euphoria kicks in, it is really rather enjoyable. Nothing beats the feeling of a hard workout.
+Quote Post
Casey
post Feb 06, 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #15

Awakening

Member No.: 6699

QUOTE(Flex @ Jan 27, 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Have you ever tried running anything more than like 5 miles? There is a point (for me at about 6 miles) that extreme euphoria kicks in, it is really rather enjoyable. Nothing beats the feeling of a hard workout.

That's commonly called Runner's High or second wind. A lot of people think it's caused by a natural release of endorphins in response to the extreme stress.

I love the feeling too, but I haven't felt it for a few years. I'm probably desensitized to it.
+Quote Post
Golden Turtle
post Feb 02, 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 16670

Staying away from negative influences internally and externally is more important and productive than depriving yourself nutrition. Over exertion is also a cause of many health issues. Fasting can sometimes be beneficial. Only under certain conditions though. I don't know them all but, please take all the necessary precautions. Some may benefit more from a healthy diet. Others might benefit more from ingesting mushrooms. Slow down for a minute...reflect on your mission here. Does it involve unnecessary risks?
+Quote Post
paperdragons
post Aug 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 32993

I'm relying primarily on personal experience for my response here, but I fasted last year. It didn't last very long (about 3.5 days), but it was food and water... I didn't have any delusions, though I did have some interesting sensations. The hunger actually didn't bother me after about six or eight hours, but the water was... I was dry. I felt somewhat lightheaded, lethargic... I think my vision might have been getting a bit blurry too (I think that might have been why I stopped). Anyway, I was disappointed that I didn't feel I gleaned anything valuable from the experience. I admit, it was foolish. I didn't have any longstanding effects, so I suppose I was lucky.

Anyway, as I said, it wasn't a water fast, and a water fast would probably be slightly preferable... Still, I would check with a doctor or something, so that someone is prepared to monitor your health and give you support if anything goes wrong. Especially since you haven't fasted before.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Aug 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #18

God

Yeah I am not really down with the food and water fast. So far my record with the water fast is 14 days before I get bored with the idea smile.gif I definitely feel worlds better after I fast. Hopefully someday I will get in touch with my body to the point where I can do this:

http://www.wimp.com/indiangymnastics/
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #19

Supreme God

QUOTE(Flex @ Aug 15, 2010, 09:45 PM) *

Yeah I am not really down with the food and water fast. So far my record with the water fast is 14 days before I get bored with the idea smile.gif I definitely feel worlds better after I fast. Hopefully someday I will get in touch with my body to the point where I can do this:

http://www.wimp.com/indiangymnastics/
After you've smashed your knackers into a pole, I imagine the rest would come easy! ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Flex
post Aug 15, 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #20

God

It takes many years of knacker smashing to get to that level.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 15, 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #21

Supreme God

QUOTE(Flex @ Aug 15, 2010, 10:12 PM) *

It takes many years of knacker smashing to get to that level.
LOL! oooooooohhhhhh!
+Quote Post
phelps12
post Aug 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 34409

Fasting is not bad for our health as it is scientifically proved that it helps to improve metabolism. But if this is your first time then i may advice you to be careful and go slowly.
+Quote Post
deeptrancenow
post Aug 09, 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 34424

I fast frequently 5 - 10 days - liquids only - and find it much easier that way, then if I were trying to fast half a day. I prepare myself mentally and start fasting when it feels natural and almost spontaneous.

I may drink herbal teas, water with lemon, sometimes add freshly squeezed juices or even drink vegetable broth if I start to crave different flavors.

I start feeling effects usually after I've been fasting for at least 5 days, less than that doesn't do much for me.

I also find it easier and more natural to fast if I am engaged in some intense spiritual practice during fasting and may feel at times as if I'm absorbing the energy through the top of my head. It's a somewhat odd sensation that happens by itself and the first time I experienced it is when I found myself spontaneously fasting, without any previous intention or even consideration of fasting, after chanting some mantras. The mantras stimulated the movement of energy in my body in a way that I felt the energy in different parts of my body swirling and moving up and down my body, and culminating in the experience where I'd feel as if I had a funnel on top of my head through which I was absorbing the energy directly. That would happen, after I'd fast for several days.

I'd never force myself to fast, but would listen to my body and fast only to the extent that it felt comfortable for me. Depending on my level of physical activity during the fast, I'd drop 5 - 10 pounds.

Whatever health problems I might have had before the fast, they'd all vanish - as if the body would reset itself and I'd feel in better health than ever - also much more energized.
+Quote Post
aremwellness
post Sep 03, 2012, 05:58 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 34484

when the stomach is full, it is easy to talk of fasting said by St.Jerome
+Quote Post
shanewatson384
post Oct 10, 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 34598

In Meanwhile time, the energy your body saves used in those days...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles