Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sifting for Factual Psilocybin Information
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 5876

I was wondering as to the dangers of large psychedelic mushroom consumption. Also, any general information, personal experiences, or recommendations/condemnations would be gladly accepted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lao_Tzu
post Oct 17, 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #2

Awakening

Member No.: 5060

Hello!

I've taken psychedelic mushrooms quite a few times. There are many different kinds, but I can only speak for the psilocybe variety.

The 'standard' dose, as far as I'm aware, is two grams. This is about as much as you can fit if you pack the shrooms lightly into a 25ml shot glass. People have been known to take more - up to and over 5g - but I certainly wouldn't recommend it, especially if it's your first time.

My personal experiences have, for the most part, been lovely. I recommend taking them in the morning and without eating too much food first. Perhaps an apple for breakfast, then the shrooms. Make sure you don't have any commitments during the day and that you won't be disturbed by unexpecte visitors during the trip (which will be about 4 - 5 hours).

It's generally agreed that it's best to trip out in nature. Try to do it on a sunny day, with water and trees nearby. That's ideal. Try not to be in an urban environment. It's great to have a place to swim. And it's generally great to take a friend along; it probably doesn't matter whether they are also taking shrooms or not.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.
+Quote Post
Culture
post Oct 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Overlord

Member No.: 4711

Seems us capetonians are infiltrating :-)

If you _really_ want to try them you should sit and think about it. There are no life-threatening dangers, but if you are prone to feeling paranoid or there is a medical history of psychosis then steer far away.

+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 17, 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #4

Aspiring

QUOTE(Culture @ Oct 17, 2006, 12:53 PM) *

Seems us capetonians are infiltrating :-)

If you _really_ want to try them you should sit and think about it. There are no life-threatening dangers, but if you are prone to feeling paranoid or there is a medical history of psychosis then steer far away.

I've once before, but not enough to hallucinate. That was very interesting, and surprisingly social. I had a wonderful time, and I have thought long and hard about it. I actually had 2 dreams in which I acquired mushrooms. But yes, I would love to hear more elaborate descriptions of one's personal experiences while tripping.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 19, 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #5

God

Member No.: 5877

I have just started taking shrooms myself (p.cubanis B+ strand I believe,very generic). I personally have only taken them to expand on my cognitive limits--not for the sake of hilucinating. For your first few times I recomend that you practice intense meditation and yoga. Take maybe 2g for your first time, and I would never really excede a 3g trip (for the sake of cost and there is no need). You should find stretching very easy and if you focus on breathing and visualize your breathing you should achieve a very inhanced cognitive state. Closing your eyes will allow you to literaly go into another reality--for me it is a very spiritual thing.

I would limit your use of psilocyben and practice on "tripping" naturally. For a week or so I wore ear plugs all day and worked on psychoactive hearing (no idea if that is a real term, this was just a personal experiment) and it really works. The easiest thing to stat off with is your own voice. You can hear your voice without talking rather easily. By the end of a week I could vividly hear entire symphonies just through pure meditation and mind manipulation. The greatest part is you can create compositions of your own and hear every dynamic aspect of the sound. I was able to alter eq and harmonic variances in any given instrument. If you take time to study recording it will make your efforts much more effective (I recomend Modern Recording Techniques).
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 19, 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Aspiring

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 19, 2006, 06:01 PM) *

I have just started taking shrooms myself (p.cubanis B+ strand I believe,very generic). I personally have only taken them to expand on my cognitive limits--not for the sake of hilucinating. For your first few times I recomend that you practice intense meditation and yoga. Take maybe 2g for your first time, and I would never really excede a 3g trip (for the sake of cost and there is no need). You should find stretching very easy and if you focus on breathing and visualize your breathing you should achieve a very inhanced cognitive state. Closing your eyes will allow you to literaly go into another reality--for me it is a very spiritual thing.

I would limit your use of psilocyben and practice on "tripping" naturally. For a week or so I wore ear plugs all day and worked on psychoactive hearing (no idea if that is a real term, this was just a personal experiment) and it really works. The easiest thing to stat off with is your own voice. You can hear your voice without talking rather easily. By the end of a week I could vividly hear entire symphonies just through pure meditation and mind manipulation. The greatest part is you can create compositions of your own and hear every dynamic aspect of the sound. I was able to alter eq and harmonic variances in any given instrument. If you take time to study recording it will make your efforts much more effective (I recomend Modern Recording Techniques).

That is an exceedingly intriguing thought! Do you find that you are sore at all the next day from the stretching?

Musical manipulation! I play the cello, and I've recently been dabbling in creations of my own. If you don't mind, I am going to run an experiment parallel to your's. I'll have to skip many days of the week, though, because I attend highschool. Very intriguing; very, very intriguing.
+Quote Post
Darksanity
post Oct 19, 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Aspiring

Member No.: 5552

I took 1g for my first time... Once I took about 2.5-3g and it was one crazy experience. Total loss of time, reality, loss in thoughts
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 19, 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #8

God

It is dificult to accomplish, but you can really apply it to all of your sences--hearing just happens to be the easiest. I actually did that experiment before ever trying shrooms and I took it to the next level the day before I first took shrooms. My brother is a musician and I do his tour managing, so I am on the road for 3 or 4 months at a time. This is when I did the psycoactive hearing experiment. The day I got home from tour I ran 10 miles (after driving 8 or so hours a day and not exercising whatsoever in months). That is when I took the idea of mind manipulation to the next level. I simply focused my mind on running and in doing so I was able to relieve myself of any fatigue (I was going to keep running but it got dark). After that was my first shroom experience and I used it to hone my ability to manipulate my mind--thus the yoga and controlled breathing. It is really an amazing experience and for me it changed my entire outlook on life.

Now I am able to sustain a "natural high" basically the entire day, and I run 30miles several times a week no problem. I still like to trip on shrooms on occasion, but you should really try to limit your use and work on manipulating your mind naturally--it is alot cheaper wink.gif

oh yeah and the amount of shrooms I took my first time is a pretty heavy dose for most people--I am inclined to not be effected so much by psychedelics so you should find the right dose for you, but I would imagine it would be about 1.5-2g
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #9

Aspiring

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 19, 2006, 07:25 PM) *

oh yeah and the amount of shrooms I took my first time is a pretty heavy dose for most people--I am inclined to not be effected so much by psychedelics so you should find the right dose for you, but I would imagine it would be about 1.5-2g

I took about 2 grams my first (and only) time. I did not even hallucinate, but the effect on my perspective was very interesting. I did them with others though, and it became a much more social experience than I might have wanted. I am planning on taking a slightly higher dose with one good friend of mine. I am rather excited for it.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 20, 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #10

God

I have yet to have any real hilucinations. I have had very minor hilucinations, but I take shrooms in a very spiritual sence (to tap into a new level of cognition). My personal opinion is that if you are taking drugs for solely recreational purposes, maybe with the exception of pot, you should probably stop. If you want hilucinations shrooms are probably not the way to go. I do not know anyone who has had any real hilucinations--mostly just enhanced recognition of patterns and textures and possible motion of such patterns.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 20, 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #11

God

I have yet to have any real hilucinations. I have had very minor hilucinations, but I take shrooms in a very spiritual sence (to tap into a new level of cognition). My personal opinion is that if you are taking drugs for solely recreational purposes, maybe with the exception of pot, you should probably stop. If you want hilucinations shrooms are probably not the way to go. I do not know anyone who has had any real hilucinations--mostly just enhanced recognition of patterns and textures and possible motion of such patterns.
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 21, 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #12

Aspiring

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 20, 2006, 02:15 AM) *

If you want hilucinations shrooms are probably not the way to go. I do not know anyone who has had any real hilucinations--mostly just enhanced recognition of patterns and textures and possible motion of such patterns.

I'd definitely have to disagree with you on that in particular. Mushrooms seem the perfect balance between the extremnity of LSD and the alterations of Salvia Divinorum. My curiousity is pushing me to hallucinate with shrooms, because what is our perception other than the limits of our senses?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 21, 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #13

God

I guess I have never had any real hilucinations because of my brain type--I meditate several hours a day, and have developed alot of control over my mind and body. When I take any shrooms I have too firm of a grasp on reality to truely hilucinate. I believe that psychedelics bring out ones underlying mental state. "Mental illness" runs in my family and I know for a fact that I technically have inherited such genes. I find that most famous people in history have been "mentaly ill" because there is a drive that one gets from insanity and there is definitely a correlation between use of psychedelics and bringing out the underlying mental "issues". I think the reason phychedelics do not effect me as profoundly as other is the fact that in my normal cognitive state I posess many of the qualities that "normal" people can only attain through drugs so I do not find the effects that unusual.
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 22, 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #14

Aspiring

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 21, 2006, 05:19 PM) *

I guess I have never had any real hilucinations because of my brain type--I meditate several hours a day, and have developed alot of control over my mind and body. When I take any shrooms I have too firm of a grasp on reality to truely hilucinate. I believe that psychedelics bring out ones underlying mental state. "Mental illness" runs in my family and I know for a fact that I technically have inherited such genes. I find that most famous people in history have been "mentaly ill" because there is a drive that one gets from insanity and there is definitely a correlation between use of psychedelics and bringing out the underlying mental "issues". I think the reason phychedelics do not effect me as profoundly as other is the fact that in my normal cognitive state I posess many of the qualities that "normal" people can only attain through drugs so I do not find the effects that unusual.

What "mental illness" possibly compares to the perception of a "normal" person on shrooms? My father has a "mental illness" and I am not vastly effected, as you claim to be. My thoughts on why you never hallucinate is because you've told me previously that you've only used 2 grams (which you thought was quite a lot), which in reality is a subnormal dosage. 3-5 grams constitutes a "normal" dose in most "normal" people. If what you say is true, and you are cognitively much different, then you might even need a higher than "normal" dosage.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 22, 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #15

God

QUOTE(Ignorance Is Eternal @ Oct 22, 2006, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 21, 2006, 05:19 PM) *

What "mental illness" possibly compares to the perception of a "normal" person on shrooms? My father has a "mental illness" and I am not vastly effected, as you claim to be. My thoughts on why you never hallucinate is because you've told me previously that you've only used 2 grams (which you thought was quite a lot), which in reality is a subnormal dosage. 3-5 grams constitutes a "normal" dose in most "normal" people. If what you say is true, and you are cognitively much different, then you might even need a higher than "normal" dosage.

oh no I was recomending 2g for you--I have taken 7g of p.cubanis B+ strand with essentialy the same effects as when I take 2g. For me it really makes no difference how much I consume as long as I meet the minimum threshold. Taking an 8th (3.5g) for a typical person is a large quantity.
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 22, 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #16

Aspiring

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 22, 2006, 09:05 PM) *

oh no I was recomending 2g for you--I have taken 7g of p.cubanis B+ strand with essentialy the same effects as when I take 2g. For me it really makes no difference how much I consume as long as I meet the minimum threshold. Taking an 8th (3.5g) for a typical person is a large quantity.

Oh, I'm sorry. That would be my fault. I also apologize for my previously connoted annoyance, as it was completely unfounded and erroneous. It would seem that you are indeed unique in that case.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 22, 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #17

God

lol yeah it is really annoying... No drugs really effect me.
+Quote Post
Darksanity
post Oct 27, 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #18

Aspiring

Member No.: 5552

QUOTE(Ignorance Is Eternal)
Mushrooms seem the perfect balance between the extremnity of LSD and the alterations of Salvia Divinorum

Mushrooms have a more intense/hallucinogenic effect on me than LSD. LSD is more kind of another perception as if I see trought the eyes of an alien/animal. Salvia is like a 30sec LSD trip.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 27, 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #19

God

QUOTE(Darksanity @ Oct 27, 2006, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Ignorance Is Eternal)
Mushrooms seem the perfect balance between the extremnity of LSD and the alterations of Salvia Divinorum

Mushrooms have a more intense/hallucinogenic effect on me than LSD. LSD is more kind of another perception as if I see trought the eyes of an alien/animal. Salvia is like a 30sec LSD trip.

Now you are talking about smoking Salvia right? If you use ethanol as a solvent and take the salvia orally would the high last longer?
+Quote Post
Lao_Tzu
post Oct 28, 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #20

Awakening

Member No.: 5060

I recommend treating Salvia with respect and moderation. smile.gif
+Quote Post
purerealm
post Feb 09, 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 6044

actual hallucinations do not typically occur with psilocybin. more like closed eye visuals and open eye visual distortions.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 09, 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #22

God

QUOTE(purerealm @ Feb 09, 2007, 02:30 AM) *

actual hallucinations do not typically occur with psilocybin. more like closed eye visuals and open eye visual distortions.

I have never experience anything more than I can attain through meditation--well a bit more intense, but same stuff.
+Quote Post
simon
post Feb 27, 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #23

Aspiring

Member No.: 6876

I seem to remember the amount of Liberty caps, a very common mushroom found in the UK in Autumn, one would need to take to overdose would be 88lbs. I'll just write that again 88lbs !!!
+Quote Post
simon
post Feb 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #24

Aspiring

Member No.: 6876

www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_faq.shtml#4

Psilocybin and psilocin are part of the tryptamine family (indole C8H7N & ethylamine side chain). Psilocybin is soluable in 20 parts water, while psilocin is only slightly soluable in water.9 They bear close resemblance to the neurotransmitter serotonin. How these substances work is still quite obscure. Primary effect seems to be the inhibition of neurotransmitter serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine aka 5-HT), i.e. a 5-HT2A post-synaptic agonist that mimics the effects to 5-HT to put it in jargon. This is the working hypothesis for LSD-25 at the moment and it's probably true for psilocybin as well. These substances also present some cross-tolerance.

Psilocybin, psilocin and psilocybian mushrooms have very low toxicity - in tests with mice, doses up to 200 mg of pure psilocybin/kg of body weight have been injected intravenously without lethal effects (that would be 13 grams of pure psilocybin per average human (65 kg / 140 lbs). The ED50:LD50 ratio is 641 according to the NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects; compare this with 9637 for vitamin A, 4816 for LSD, 199 for aspirin and 21 for nicotine. According to Leo Hollister, Jonathon Ott, and John W. Allen, one would have to consume their body weight in fresh mushrooms or eat approximately 19 grams of the pure chemical substance to bring on death. As long as Psilocybin mushrooms are properly identified, poisoning is not a problem.

Salvia needs respect absolutely.
+Quote Post
Tone
post Mar 05, 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #25

Overlord

Member No.: 4916

4-HO-DMT is pretty non-toxic. You know, this all Psilocybin mushrooms are, simply imagine DMT and an HO added to 4. Thats what they have and what their other active immediately breaks down to.
+Quote Post
BellaMaria
post May 01, 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 10486

I have taken mushrooms once before, 3g.

It is difficult to explain until you feel it for yourself. It is another form of consciousness and it opened up a new world for me. I was around a few other people, who were on the same dose, and then one person's flatmates came in. Let's just say they weren't having nearly as good a time as we were. smile.gif

It gave me an understanding of what I was seeing and a deeper realization of normal sights that I wouldn't have in everyday consciousness. I was in London looking out a large window, and there was a passenger train in the distance. My friends and I sat looking at this train going by for hours. It sounds ridiculous, but I can only speak for myself and what I thought. I could imagine the people inside the train, each with a life of her or his own, all the things they were doing and they had no idea I was watching them. It was fascinating. All the lights led to a house or flat and I could FEEL the people inside.

I went into a grocery store and realized how ridiculous modern life is. The bright lights, the signs coming out and screaming what's on sale, the bright colors... it was all just so ridiculous and everyone was lining up for the cashier like it was normal. I noticed things I would never pay attention to on a normal basis.

I couldn't tie my shoes, but I was having these amazing, spiritual thoughts, bringing me closer to my friends, to God and to the world. Our consciousness without these types of drugs allows us to do mundane things like tie our shoes properly, but we can't see things on a higher plane like we can through the eyes of mushrooms.

I took a walk down the street and realized that all the passersby had no idea of the amazing thoughts I was thinking inside, and likewise there are so many people in the world and you can never know what they're thinking.

This is just a summary, but it was a never to be forgotten experience that I hope to have again. I highly recommend it and I would take it with chocolate to mask the taste.
+Quote Post
LifeHacker
post Jul 26, 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 25095

I am very experienced with mushrooms. I've eaten a shroom the size of my fist before. They slow down time dramatically.. a minute can seem like an hour which can actually help you be very productive in a short amount of time. It can help you enter a trance where you focus intensely on something.. They have tought me many things and I have had profound spiritual experiences on them.

I think it really helps you think better, it makes you more creative and open minded. When you listen to music you notice details you didnt notice before. I used to like to read books on them because it was like talking to the author in person, i would read one sentance at a time and absorb all the information better too. I'd finish the books in half the time if i was on shrooms. They have spoken to me in abstract ways and changed my life. I think I am much more powerful mentally because of them.

Large amounts are good but not necessary.. I liked to powder them and take a pinch at a time. 3 pinches was enough to put me in a somewhat alien mindstate. It creeps up on you.. when you are on shrooms you really dont realize how fucked up you are so its important not to do too much. You might not recognize yourself after taking them for a prolonged period of time.. You become more of a shroom and less of yourself lol. when your ego dies you will do things you never thought you would do. Sometimes your ego is holding you back from what you really want. For example if you find a fat girl beautiful but you are embarrassed, shrooms might make you ask her out.. and you wont be ashamed.

Shrooms will teach you about yourself and the universe, in my honest opinion. They help you read between the lines as well as off the page. Impossible to explain :\ Not everyone has the experiences i did
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 03:24 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles