BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hormones and Autism, Does anyone know of any work linking the two?
dutch84
post Jul 31, 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 5115

I was reading about how hormones can effect the brain's plasticity. Specifically:

"Gonadal hormones alter the brain and make the male and female brains more or less responsive in different environments. One way that they have such an influence is by altering the susceptibility of cortical neurons to the effects of environmental stimuli. For example, Janice Juraska found that exposure to gonadal hormones perinatally determines the later ability of environmental stimulation to alter the synaptic organization of the cerebellum. Furthermore, she showed that environmentally induced changes in the hippocampus and neocortex are affected differently by gonadal hormones. For instance, the female hippocampus is far more plastic in new environments than the male hippocampus, and this plasitcity depends on estrogen."

Reading this immediately made me think of autism, and how it is predominant in males. Could estrogen therapy be a possible treatment for children with autism?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Aug 01, 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

An interesting website I found by googling autism hormone, is:-

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041113/bob8.asp

Many sites are available with deeper information of the possible causes, and maybe there need to be different 'cures' for different cases.
+Quote Post
someidi0t
post Oct 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 31638

I actually read that autistics mirror-neuron systems function differently than 'neurotypicals,' explaining social ineptness.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 07:38 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles