Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why teenagers should steer clear of cannabis
cerebral
post Sep 28, 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #31

Overlord

Group: Full Member
Member No.: 957

I never really liked alcohol anyway except very rarely and cannot understand how people can become alcoholics.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BornaDreamer
post Sep 28, 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #32

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 5735

Well, people can definitely have hallucinations while on cannabis... it may not be the average experience but it happens. Not from withdraw that I know of but from the actual experience of the substance...
+Quote Post
Darksanity
post Oct 10, 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #33

Aspiring

Member No.: 5552

I remember one day on my first few times I smoked cannabis. I smoked a little more than usually and it was a full blown psychedelic experience at the level of LSD...
+Quote Post
Lao_Tzu
post Oct 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #34

Awakening

Member No.: 5060

Seriously, Darksanity? I'm amazed. My friends who have smoked have never seen anything like the effects of LSD. The first time I smoked was just hilarious and euphoric, but I had no hallucinations then, nor on any weed-only occasion since.

QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Sep 20, 2006, 03:35 AM) *

QUOTE(code buttons @ Sep 19, 2006, 02:47 PM) *

"A single glass of wine will impair your driving more than smoking a joint. And under certain test conditions, the complex way alcohol and cannabis combine to affect driving behaviour suggests that someone who has taken both may drive less recklessly than a person who is simply drunk."
New Scientist March 2002 (linked)

experience tells otherwise. Just another reason to remain sceptical of the New Scientist

Yeesh, lucid, that's pretty dismissive!

If I was to provide personal anecdotes, my experience would corroborate New Scientist's suggestion. I felt much less safe driving when drunk than I did driving when stoned, though lately I'm very rarely either.

What I said was that nicotine and alcohol are not harder drugs than cannabis. Only the die-hard cannabis user will object to this and go on the defensive, and their opinion is expected to be overly biased. I'm trying to be somewhat objective here.

I'm afraid I must object to your argument here (as well as your pre-emptive ad hominem) and suggest that nicotine and alcohol are both 'harder' than cannabis (and I don't smoke much weed at all these days).

Nicotine and alcohol are both more addictive than THC, and cause more severe withdrawal symptoms. Also, contrary to your earlier assertion, nicotine alone can kill - it is a potent neurotoxin. So can alcohol - either directly through poisoning, or indirectly by making someone do reckless things, which is disturbingly frequent. By contrast, THC is virtually harmless: there are no recorded incidents of someone dying from THC poisoning.

That said, I make no arguments against cannabis use being mentally harmful, which I think it is. It demotivates people and depresses them emotionally and intellectually, making them less able to function socially. It is also thought to exacerbate pre-existing tendencies to schizophrenia, or to induce it straight. So I agree that teens generally ought to be cautious.
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 17, 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #35

Aspiring

Member No.: 5876

[/quote]

Nicotine and alcohol are both more addictive than THC, and cause more severe withdrawal symptoms. Also, contrary to your earlier assertion, nicotine alone can kill - it is a potent neurotoxin. So can alcohol - either directly through poisoning, or indirectly by making someone do reckless things, which is disturbingly frequent. By contrast, THC is virtually harmless: there are no recorded incidents of someone dying from THC poisoning.

That said, I make no arguments against cannabis use being mentally harmful, which I think it is. It demotivates people and depresses them emotionally and intellectually, making them less able to function socially. It is also thought to exacerbate pre-existing tendencies to schizophrenia, or to induce it straight. So I agree that teens generally ought to be cautious.
[/quote]

You did forget to mention that while under the influence of THC, slowed reaction time could pose some sort of danger to the subject or others, but I agree that even still THC is much less physically harmful comparitively speaking.
+Quote Post
xanadu
post Oct 19, 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #36

Awakening

Member No.: 4955

Did you folks see the article recently that shows the ingredients in cannabis help prevent alzheimers? Another study shows it reduces the symptoms of that disease.
+Quote Post
Ignorance Is Eternal
post Oct 19, 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #37

Aspiring

Member No.: 5876

QUOTE(xanadu @ Oct 19, 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Did you folks see the article recently that shows the ingredients in cannabis help prevent alzheimers? Another study shows it reduces the symptoms of that disease.

Really? For some reason, that seems ironic. Is there a site where I could view this article?
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Oct 23, 2006, 07:54 AM
Post #38

God

Member No.: 5681

I'm not sure which article you mean xanadu, but I saw once that THC is the exact chemical opposite of something which causes alzheimers or some other disease of the brain. Maybe its the same information being reporteda again?
+Quote Post
Culture
post Oct 23, 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #39

Overlord

Member No.: 4711

QUOTE(xanadu @ Oct 19, 2006, 12:28 PM) *

MAY help prevent.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm

The active ingredient in marijuana may stall decline from Alzheimer's disease, research suggests.

Scientists showed a synthetic version of the compound may reduce inflammation associated with Alzheimer's and thus help to prevent mental decline.

They hope the cannabinoid may be used to developed new drug therapies.

The research, by Madrid's Complutense University and the Cajal Institute, is published in the Journal of Neuroscience.

We would warn the public against taking marijuana as a way of preventing Alzheimer's
Dr Susanne Sorensen
The scientists first compared the brain tissue of patients who died from Alzheimer's disease with that of healthy people who had died at a similar age.

They looked closely at brain cell receptors to which cannabinoids bind, allowing their effects to be felt.

They also studied structures called microglia, which activate the brain's immune response.

Microglia collect near the plaque deposits associated with Alzheimer's disease and, when active, cause inflammation.

The researchers found a dramatically reduced functioning of cannabinoid receptors in diseased brain tissue.

This was an indication that patients had lost the capacity to experience cannabinoids' protective effects.

The next step was to test the effect of cannabinoids on rats injected with the amyloid protein that forms Alzheimer's plaques.

Those animals who were also given a dose of a cannabinoid performed much better in tests of their mental functioning.

The researchers found that the presence of amyloid protein in the rats' brains activated immune cells.

However, rats that also received the cannabinoid showed no sign of microglia activation.

Using cell cultures, the researchers confirmed that cannabinoids counteracted the activation of microglia and thus reduced inflammation.

Drug target

Researcher Dr Maria de Ceballos said: "These findings that cannabinoids work both to prevent inflammation and to protect the brain may set the stage for their use as a therapeutic approach for Alzheimer's disease."

Dr Susanne Sorensen, head of research at the Alzheimer's Society, said: "This is important research because it provides another piece of the jigsaw puzzle on the workings of the brain.

"There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease, so the identification of another target for drug development is extremely welcome.

"The Alzheimer's Society looks forward to seeing further research being carried out on cannabinoid receptors as drug targets for Alzheimer's disease but would warn the public against taking marijuana as a way of preventing Alzheimer's.

"It is now generally recognised that as well as providing a 'high', long-term use of marijuana can also lead to depression in many individuals."

Different receptors

Harriet Millward, of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, said there were two main types of cannabinoid receptor, CR1 and CR2.

"It is CR1 that produces most of the effects of marijuana, including the harmful ones.

"If it is possible to make drugs that act only on CR2, as suggested by the authors of this study, they might mimic the positive effects of cannabinoids without the damaging ones of marijuana.

"However, this is a fairly new field of research and producing such selective drugs is not an easy task.

"There is also no evidence yet that cannabinoid-based drugs can slow the decline in human Alzheimer's patients."
+Quote Post
m4x1m1n1o
post Feb 18, 2007, 03:07 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 7620

"We would warn the public against taking marijuana as a way of preventing Alzheimer's "

LOL!
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #41

God

Member No.: 5877

lol no one thinks marijuana is the harder drug...It is just the government, because they have no way to make money if marijuana is legal--same reason stevia is a "dietary supplement"
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 18, 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #42

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

QUOTE(Ignorance Is Eternal @ Oct 17, 2006, 05:13 PM) *
nicotine alone can kill - it is a potent neurotoxin.

This is very misleading since almost anything is neurotoxic at sufficiently high levels. Nicotine activates nicotinic acetylcholine receptors which are distributed throughout the brain and are thought to be largely pre-synaptic receptors that function to increase neurotransmitter release.

In other words, nicotine potentiates neurotransmitter release and thus may enhance brain function.

Nicotine has been successfully used to alleviate some of the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, along with cholinesterase inhibitors.
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 18, 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #43

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

I know ppl who have tried nicotine, alcohol, and cannabis in varying dosages and only the cannabis caused them to hallucinate like madmen. And so there is no way you can say that cannabis is safer than nicotine or alcohol in moderate dosages.
+Quote Post
m4x1m1n1o
post Feb 19, 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 7620

so THC is used to alleviate the inflammation of microglia and Nicotine is used to alleviate some of the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, along with cholinesterase inhibitors.
with that said, is it better to get addictions for preventing AD????
maybe the answer is YES but there are a lot of f@#€ing side effects!
please dear italy let the THC become legal and put the damn taxes on it!
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 19, 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #45

God

QUOTE(m4x1m1n1o @ Feb 19, 2007, 01:42 AM) *

so THC is used to alleviate the inflammation of microglia and Nicotine is used to alleviate some of the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, along with cholinesterase inhibitors.
with that said, is it better to get addictions for preventing AD????
maybe the answer is YES but there are a lot of f@#€ing side effects!
please dear italy let the THC become legal and put the damn taxes on it!

HAHA I couldn't agree more~ The only probelm is that if marijuana is legal, everyone could just grow it themselves and there is no money to be made for the government...And if marijuana was legal there wouldn't be any wars--why would the government want that smile.gif

Oh and instead of using nicotine, why not use galantamine? Nonadictive and has many of the same effects right?
+Quote Post
Orbz
post Feb 19, 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #46

Overlord

Member No.: 6770

A possible mechanism for the rat study on THC and heroin...

Most drugs of abuse and rewarding situations raise dopamine levels either directly or indirectly (through incentive motivational effects). As cannabis has numerous interactions with the dopaminergic system, it is possible then that this system has become sensitised towards incentive stimuli through the administration of THC. This would manifest later on as increased consumption of other rewarding stimuli and in this study they used heroin which could be easily replaced with alcohol, methamphetamine, cocaine and probably even sucrose consumption. I would also think that administration of the aforementioned substances (possibly including sucrose) would also lead to the increased consumption of heroin.

So my understanding of the situation is that administration of one rewarding substance will increase consumption of a second seemingly unrelated substance. And looking at some animal data this will increase until a set point is reached well above a natural rewarding threshold. This fits with the fact that many users who prefer heroin will use methamphetamine during heroin droughts to stave of craving.

Although this only takes into account the dopaminergic system...
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Feb 20, 2007, 01:09 AM
Post #47

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

What are people's views on the usefulness of hallucinating?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 20, 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #48

God

Sure hasn't helped me much... Recently I have been having little psychedelic flash backs (especially when looking at hotel room celings).
+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #49

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Feb 20, 2007, 01:09 AM) *

What are people's views on the usefulness of hallucinating?
True hallucinations, as associated with schizophrenia, are, of course, counterproductive, leading the victim away from reality.

The visual and other effects associated with consciousness expanding drugs are more properly called pseudo hallucinations because the drug utilizer is aware that his unusual experience is the product of the drug. There is some debate within the utilizer community as to the utility of (pseudo) hallucinations: some partisans maintain they are a distraction from the benefits of the experience, while others maintain they are a necessary part of it, something to be gotten through before finally "coming on."
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Feb 20, 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #50

God

Member No.: 4768

Hallucinating can have healing and psychological relief capabilities when used in a medical context. Milton Erickson hypnotically induced hallicinations to relieve subjects of pain that otherwise required morphine.
+Quote Post
DeviiKun
post Dec 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 15016

I dont look at cannabis as a strong hallucinogen but to say that it is, is to call nicotine(I dislike) an equal to that of cyanide via cranking up the dose to unusual levels. However, due to varying sensitivities in people, I would imagine you can find individuals that trip from THC. Most traditional hallucinogens are active via seritonin receptors if im not mistaken, cannabis is via cannaboid receptors, a different section of the brain all together

Dreams are just self-induced DMT(more intense than LSD) trips. So force the state of mind or not, something similar happens on a normal routine in the brain.

Dreaming seems to be a needed function to allow the brain to cope. (Nightmares are bad trips I guess.) I've always looked at it like digestion for the brain, flushing, reorganizing, or maybe like scan disk for a computer hard disk checking and fixing.

I think hallucinations are something your brain, and you, can take something from. Still much depends on frame of mind, setting and substance. Forcing your mind into various states of mind, or learning how to do it at will is beneficial, under the same idea, that while in that state of mind you are able to bring some of the feeling and ideas back into a somber, sober, self.

Cannabis hinders productivity or drive(I think mainly to the short term memory loss), but it does help with mood and anxiety. I personally dislike alcohol and its use, I believe it to be destructive more so than cannabis in terms of cost of human life, but more specifically the cost to other humans that did not choose to imbibe.

But I am no PhD, all of the above is simply from experience so far and a bit of research I've done out of curiosity.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Dec 17, 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #52

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

Cannabis is a very safe plant to use in moderation.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Dec 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #53

God

QUOTE(LifeMirage @ Dec 17, 2007, 07:18 PM) *

Any tips on getting a prescription in California? smile.gif
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Dec 17, 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #54

Demi-God

QUOTE(Flex @ Dec 17, 2007, 09:26 PM) *

It would be easier to get a THC based prescription drug.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Dec 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #55

God

QUOTE(LifeMirage @ Dec 17, 2007, 07:42 PM) *

How does one go about that? Say I want a prescription for dronabinol, what is the best way to go about getting a prescription?
+Quote Post
Discordia
post Dec 18, 2007, 07:45 AM
Post #56

Aspiring

Member No.: 14894

A person cannot be physically addicted to marijuana, but one with a weak mind can feel like they are addicted to marijuana. It seems that any drug that has a positive effect is bad for the body.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Dec 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #57

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

QUOTE(Discordia @ Dec 18, 2007, 03:45 PM) *

A person cannot be physically addicted to marijuana, but one with a weak mind can feel like they are addicted to marijuana. It seems that any drug that has a positive effect is bad for the body.

Usually it is one with a weak mind that tries Marijuana, as a means to alter ones perceptions of reality.
+Quote Post
Discordia
post Dec 18, 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #58

Aspiring

Member No.: 14894

QUOTE(Joesus @ Dec 18, 2007, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Discordia @ Dec 18, 2007, 03:45 PM) *

Usually it is one with a weak mind that tries Marijuana, as a means to alter ones perceptions of reality.

People try marijuana for different reasons, usually it is to fit in to a crowd, and although it does alter ones perception of reality I do not think thats why most people try it initially.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Dec 18, 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #59

Demi-God

QUOTE(Flex @ Dec 18, 2007, 12:29 AM) *
QUOTE(LifeMirage @ Dec 17, 2007, 07:42 PM) *

How does one go about that? Say I want a prescription for dronabinol, what is the best way to go about getting a prescription?

Ask a doctor.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Dec 18, 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #60

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

People try marijuana for different reasons, usually it is to fit in to a crowd, and although it does alter ones perception of reality I do not think thats why most people try it initially.

You don't think trying it to fit in is an attempt at the alteration of the perceptions of ones reality, sense of self, sense of relationship with the world in an altered state of mind and body?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles