BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cranial Electrical Stimulation, Stimulates those neurons!
Sumani
post Mar 27, 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #31

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 20044

QUOTE(Onfire @ May 16, 2006, 11:17 AM) *

Its in stock for only $295

Cranial Electrical Stimulation (CES) is basically two electrical prods that go on each ear and is performed for about 20 minutes a week. CES supercharges your nootropics stack, synergizes your neurotransmitters, and increases brain hemisphere coherence electronically.

The CES Ultra has two electrical configurations with two different frequencies: 100 Hz and 0.35 Hz. They are set using a dipswitch in the battery compartment. The frequency of choice is the 100 Hz which has the largest body of evidence as to efficacy behind it. It provides a gentle and calming tingling sensation, though it may also be used below the sensate threshold. The 0.35 Hz setting operates at a lesser amplitude, generating very little actual sensation, but with a more subtle impact. The user may pre-set the time for either configuration for 30 minutes or 45 minutes, at which point the current will automatically turn off, or to have the unit run continuously.

Frequency: 100 Hz
Power source: 9V alkaline battery
Wave Shape: Square
Amplitude: Adjustable from 0-1.5 Ma
Pulse Duration: 2 milliseconds (20% duty cycle)

Frequency: 0.35Hz (modulated by varying signals)
Power source: 9V alkaline battery
Wave Shape: Square
Amplitude: Adjustable from 70-750 microamperes

WHAT IS CRANIAL ELECTROTHERAPY STIMULATION?
From The Townsend Letter for Doctors, June 1993

Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) is the application of low-level pulsed electrical currents (usually less than 1 milliampere) applied to the head for medical and/or psychological purposes. There is now over 20 years of medical experience with CES in America. Presently, its use requires a prescription by a licensed health practitioner in the United States. It is available without a prescription throughout the rest of the world.

Cranial electrotherapy stimulation has also been known by many other names. Transcranial electrotherapy (TCET), neuroelectric therapy (NET), alpha sleep, electroanalgesia, electronarcosis and the original electrosleep just a few of the more common terms that have referred to the same therapy.

Cranial electrotherapy stimulation was first called electrosleep because it was thought to induce sleep. Rabinovich, a Russian, is given credit for making the first claim for electrical treatment of insomnia in 1914. In 1957, in the U.S.S.R., Anan'ev published the first paper on CES. The first book, simply titled Electrosleep, was published a year later by Gilyarovski. This generated a high degree of interest in the then-known Eastern Block countries and CES was soon adopted as a treatment modality. In 1959, Obrosow reviewed the CES literature and published the first American paper on CES. By 1966 the first International Symposium on Electrotherapeutic Sleep and Electroanesthesia was held in Austria. The use of CES had spread worldwide by the late 1960's when animal studies of CES began in the U.S. at the University of Tennessee, and at what is now the University of Wisconsin Medical School. These were soon followed by human clinical trials at the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio, the University of Mississippi Student Counseling Center and the University of Wisconsin Medical School. .

The most comprehensive review of the research in CES published to date is a chapter by Ray B. Smith, Ph.D. in the book, Neural Stimulation, published in 1985. Dr. Smith has been researching CES since 1972. He concluded, "There are 40 studies of CES readily available in the U.S. in which the dependent variable is reliable. When these are examined alone it becomes apparent that CES is effective in alleviating symptoms of anxiety, depression, and insomnia...CES appears effective as a treatment for withdrawal in the chemically dependent person. Other promising areas of treatment are in hypergastric acidity and migraine headaches. Dr. Smith adds, CES appears to be safe, with no harm or negative side effects having been reported to date in controlled studies...Finally, while one usually assumes some placebo effect from a treatment as dramatic as this, none has been reported in studies controlled for this effect�. Scientists at Harvard have recently analyzed all the literature on CES worldwide, and have also found it to be an effective therapy although they are holding their findings confidential until their results are published. Open marketing of CES devices began in the 1970's in the U.S. for the treatment of anxiety, depression and insomnia. Several thousand Americans are treated with CES annually by thousands of doctors and it is estimated that more than 50,000 people in the U.S. own CES devices which have been prescribed for home use. No adverse effects or contraindications have been found from the use of CES, either in the U.S. or in other parts of the world. As with all electrical devices, caution is advised during pregnancy and for patients with a demand-type pacemaker. In addition, it is recommend that patients not operate complex machinery or drive automobiles during and shortly after a CES treatment.

In addition to the usual claims for anxiety, depression and insomnia, CES has been researched for many other conditions. Favorable results have been reported in the literature for labor, epilepsy, glossalgia, hypertension, spinal cord injuries, chronic pain, arthritis, cerebral atherosclerosis, eczema, dental pain, asthma, ischemic heart disease, stroke, motion sickness, digestive disorders as well as various addictive disorders including alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and marijuana abuse.

Since we know that pain is a complex process involving the brain, it makes sense to add CES to the treatment of most pain patients. In fact, in many cases it is all that is needed to produce significant long-term pain relief.

Cranial electrotherapy stimulation is believed to stimulate the production of endorphins. It probably also affects the hypothalamus causing changes in the hypothalamic neurohormonal regulatory mechanisms and the reticular formation of the brain stem. The reticular activating system is involved in a myriad of behavioral expressions from alertness to sleep. This �attentional center" plays an important integrative role in the functioning of mind and body.

Cranial electrotherapy stimulation devices are generally similar in size and appearance to standard transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators (TENS), but produce very different waveforms. Standard milliampere-current TENS devices must never be applied transcranially. CES electrodes can be placed bitemporally, bilaterally in the hollow behind the ears just anterior to the mastoid processes, or clipped to the earlobes. This depends on the device being used. Most CES devices produce a pulse repetition rate (PRR) of 100 Hertz(Hz) which was what the original Russian devices used. Some produce a PRR as low as 0.5, or as high as 15,000 Hz. The current is usually increased by the patient until a mild tingling sensation is felt at the electrode site, or a slight vertigo (dizziness) is experienced. It is then adjusted back down to a comfortable level below that which produces vertigo or an unpleasant feeling of electrical current. It may take a few minutes before the current needs to be reduced. Generally, a treatment time of 20 to 40 minutes is best, daily or every other day.

Immediately after a CES treatment, patients usually report feeling more relaxed. Some people feel somewhat inebriated for the first few minutes. This is a pleasant and very comfortable sensation. After several minutes to hours, the light-headed feelings usually disappear, the relaxed state remains and a profound sense of alertness is achieved. This relaxed/alert state will usually remain for an average of 12 to 72 hours after the first few treatments and then becomes cumulative from a series of treatments. Most patients relate feeling more relaxed, less distressed, while their minds remain alert and even more focused on mental tasks. They generally sleep better and report improved concentration along with heightened states of general well-being.

Hi! I have been suffering with chronic pain due to fibromyalgia for a number of years. I developed cancer and after I was treated with chemotherapy that is not even acceptable for human consumption, the pain shot up to new levels of horror forcing me to take more garbage from BIG PHARMA. For the last 6 years my life has been spinning downward and I need to find a way to treat the pain without drugs. I just read about cranial electrical therapy for fibromyalgia patients in the Townsend Letter and I need to know if this $295.00 unit can help me? Has it been studied as a treatment for fibromyalgia pain? Is it effective? I have outrageously expensive health insurance that will fight the purchase of anything "alternative". However, I will pay out of pocket for anything that can give me back my brain and life! I will be grateful for any help or guidance I can receive from anyone on this matter. Kindest regards, Sumani
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BrainStim
post Sep 02, 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 18263

Here's some other material about cranial electrotherapy stimulation

CES for Depression

…with an effect size of r =.50, CES is much more
effective than any antidepressant medication, and,
unlike them, lacks significant adverse effects.”

CES depression 2

Brain Blogger page about CES

Its been used for generalized anxiety disorder.

Cranial electrotherapy stimulation was associated with a significant decrease in HAM-A scores (t = 3.083, p = .01). At endpoint, 6 patients (50% of the intent-to treat sample and 67% of completers) had a 50% decrease in HAM-A score and a CGI-I score of 1 or 2.
+Quote Post
erra
post Jun 06, 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 32177

QUOTE(Hudzon @ Dec 04, 2007, 11:54 PM) *

-At the more Clinical level of application, extreme psychosomatic reprocussions for years including paranioa, fear, overall obidence to everyone and everything.

I am aware of the first two, but the last one seems new to me. (Well, aside from the myriad of conspiracy theories about J. Delgado and the CIA, but I suppose I automatically dismissed those).

As I am doing some research on the topic right now, I would be very grateful if you could send me some reference.

Hi,

Im working on CES too. There are different frequencies to which different parts of the brain respond to...

does anyone know the different frequencies or knows where to find them...i think there are about 250 of

them.

Thanks
+Quote Post
magellan
post Jan 08, 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 32572

transcranial stim works great for me
no side effects whatsoever to date
within 2 days I was sleeping like a baby (ever since too)
after a month I stopped over reacting to aggression
could be that it made the nootropics work better by increasing brain blood flow
not so sure though
+Quote Post
post Apr 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #35

Unregistered

We perceive and are affected by changes too subtle to be described.
+Quote Post
Cassox
post Apr 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #36

Awakening

Member No.: 15624

The genesis of brain function is not electrical. In fact, one could just as easily argue that the so called "electrical" aspects are nothing more then a means for release of ligands (other then in the heart or other gap junction type areas). Dude, you realize that although we call it electrical activity all it really is... is movement of ions right? Potassium and Sodium moving in and out of a membrane of a single neuron all with the purpose of causing the release of a neurotransmitter. The brain in nothing like a circuit. Other than in a few areas where the neurons are literally sharing intracellular fluid... there really is no conduction of electrical impulse from one cell to another.

I mean, the whole "the brain is electrical thing" is really almost a description by definition. It's certainly not analogous to what a layman thinks of as electricity with electrons moving along a conductive medium. It really is a chemical process of ions moving in and out.
+Quote Post
Cassox
post May 05, 2011, 04:46 AM
Post #37

Awakening

Member No.: 15624

Not that it directly relates... but I think it's interesting. The much vaunted "God Helmet."

God Helmet.

So apparently the results weren't evident when another group tried to repeat them... but then again they used different procedures. I'm thinking, go for the gold. Wanna know if it works? 1 hour of MRI with everything except the Right Temporal Shielded. That should do ya.
+Quote Post
post May 24, 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #38

Unregistered

Всем привет! В общем, наверное, люди не зря создают такие темы, даже если просто хотят узнать, в чем смысл жизни для каждого. Как и многие, я зарабатываю с помощью интернета. Пожалуй, немного о себе. Я студент, мне 20 лет. Сначала я закончил колледж (после 9-го 4 года отучился), теперь поступил в универ, сейчас на 1 курсе. Особо универ не посещаю, учусь на тройки, в основном "ухожу" в себя, сижу дома, что-то "придумываю" с интернетом) миллионы не зарабатываю, сео - как хобби=))). Проблема в том, что ни в колледже, ни в университете, я не учусь на ту специальность, которая оч. нравиться. Я - инженер. Вроде более-менее престижно, но - это не мое. И самое интересное, что на КСС-е или програмировании я бы тоже не хотел учиться. Всегда хотел быть врачом. С детства нравиться биология, медицина и т.д. Вот благодаря Интернету, как бы так выразиться, немного успокаиваюсь. Создаю сайты на биологическую тематику, или про медицину, когда вылаживаю материал, сам его "взахлеб" читаю - не могу оторваться. Прихожу в универ - все нудно, все не то. Хотел на зимней сессии бросить, но... не бросил) Живу без отца - только с мамой, которая постоянно твердит, что необходимо иметь хотя бы "корочку". Знаете - ненавижу получать что-то для того, лишь бы оно было. В общем - учусь для родителя)

Я понимаю, что многие здесь взрослые люди, которые, возможно, в штыки воспримут и напишут "будь мужиком", "ты наверное забыл свои яички в детском садике" (люблю сериал "клиника"=)), но я тоже так думал. Почему-то депрессия, началась больше полугода назад и никак не проходит. Вечно пытаюсь себя чем-то заинтересовать, но в конечном итоге все оказывается не то... Каждый месяц я возвращаюсь в себя и думаю "а все ли я делаю правильно". Ведь в глубине души, каждый хочет делать именно то, о чем он всегда мечтал, но получает то, что нужно. Понимаю, что заниматься любимым делом в наше то время - это что-то на грани фантастики. Но все-равно, люди же находят для себя "нишу" и живут благодаря ней всю жизнь.
Сопли, сопли... но тем не менее - в чем смысл жизни для каждого, кто прочитает это? К чему Вы по-настоящему стремитесь? Что бы Вы хотели сделать именно в свое удовольствие?
+Quote Post
post Jun 12, 2011, 05:24 AM
Post #39

Unregistered

Obtaining a false passport. Okay, my guess is thats a one-to-five sentence in a country club federal prison. With good behavior, out in, say, eight months.Haste makes waste, she said sagely, and youve got to look before you leap. She frowned. On the other hand, youve got to strike while the iron is hot, and he who hesitates is lost.Too hypothetical for you?
+Quote Post
post Jun 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #40

Unregistered

Why would I do that?Thats what I thought, but theres something else, isnt there? What is it?Because thats not how it happened at all. A pair of sensations woke me, one centered an inch or so behind my forehead, the other in the pit of my stomach. My head, throbbing, alerted me that to move was to risk death, while my stomach advised me that it was about to reject what Id been unwise enough to put into it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles