Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Donnie Darko
Shawn
post Mar 05, 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #1

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

anyone seen this one? Just got done watching the director's cut on DVD. Awesome movie. It tackles deep philosophical issues such as the meaning of life, but in a rather covert way. And the movie allows for multiple interpretations.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Mar 05, 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4556

Of course! One awesome movie indeed. I wonder where the script came from. A book maybe? A cult classic, from the audience's reaction so far, I've noticed: Either you hate or you love it. Instntant inductee into my 10 all-time favorites. I've allways been confused, though: Is the movie about time travel, or about schizophrenic dislusion. Either way, it's a treat to the senses.

This post has been edited by code buttons: Mar 05, 2006, 09:57 PM
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Mar 05, 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #3

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

There is a short book called "The Philosophy of Time Travel" which Darko reads in the movie (and you can download it online) which offers one explanation for what happens. In the director's cut, they even show you each page of the book interspersed throughout the movie. However, that book does not answer all questions in the movie. For instance, Frank (the big bunny rabbit) would be interpreted as the manipulated dead, but you can also interpret him as the personification of Death, anthropomorphized, like the Grim Reaper. The movie seems to be about Darko finding meaning and a grand plan behind everything as he's moving towards the point of his death, which he goes into willingly and even laughing.

It's one of my favorite movies. I've seen it four or five times so far, and each time it gets better.

It's funny how people react to the movie, like you said, code buttons. My wife hates it, for example, but then again, she is not concerned about finding a consistent interpretation for all of the events in the movie.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Mar 06, 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #4

God

Member No.: 96

I first watched the director's cut, and had nothing but good impressions. I talked my brothers into renting it, but unfortuately they got the theatrical release. It sucked nuts. It was a totally different movie. So much of the important information that tied the movie together was removed. It seemed like a disjointed trip of nonsense. This could explain why some people hated it. Although...., I do recall reading a review from some ditzy teenager who thought the theatrical release ruled but the directors cut sucked. Maybe it's just an extreme case of watching the version that best suits you.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Apr 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Supreme God

Well, here's a pretty reasonable interpretation of the movie... But it doesn't go anywhere close to the deepest meaning of it, which may have just as well gone beyond the director's intention; in my opinion...
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Apr 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #6

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

QUOTE(code buttons @ Apr 10, 2012, 04:37 AM) *

Well, here's a pretty reasonable interpretation of the movie... But it doesn't go anywhere close to the deepest meaning of it, which may have just as well gone beyond the director's intention; in my opinion...

Reasonable my ass!!! Why in first place 'the corruption' occurs here in Earth? What if it happens in a unhabited part of the universe which seems more likely? Ok its just a movie.
But anyway the guy from youtube is proposing a multiverse level III and I like it but for the detail that is supposedly impossible to travel between those universe. I never thought on the movie that way before.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Apr 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #7

Supreme God

QUOTE(Jakare @ Apr 10, 2012, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(code buttons @ Apr 10, 2012, 04:37 AM) *

Reasonable my ass!!! Why in first place 'the corruption' occurs here in Earth? What if it happens in a unhabited part of the universe which seems more likely? Ok its just a movie.
But anyway the guy from youtube is proposing a multiverse level III and I like it but for the detail that is supposedly impossible to travel between those universe. I never thought on the movie that way before.

I agree with you on everything, Jake! But you have to agree that the explanation of it in the Youtube link is pretty close in description to Richard Kelly's apparent intent. What boggles the mind in my case is: How in the hell Richard Kelly came upon conceiving such an ingenious plot from scratch! This movie talks to so many minds at so many levels, that it makes you think that there was either a best-seller author and book before the movie, or a genius for a movie director behind it (hardly!).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 08:58 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog