Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> exams< modafinil
KL
post Dec 22, 2005, 03:57 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

hi all!
I have a major exam coming up in the next month, its an endurance type exam over nine hours(with short breaks) designed to test your mental reasoning. Obviously enough, four hours into it anyones’ brain would start to go a little mushy!

On top of this i do shift work so I’m tired and therefore have been prescribed Modafinil (Provigil) as my sleep patterns are awol. I believe that this has some cognitive enhancing effects but can anyone recommend a fast acting nootropic for this type of exam to keep my brain from crashing? And one that wont interfere with the modafinil

Thanks
K
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Dec 22, 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4556

You must be American. Only that can explain the ease with which you speak of taking prescription drugs and switching drugs around to accomodate your life-style. My first advice to you is: Don't take any drugs, period. Our brain has 100 billion trillion cells or so, and we use up only 10 percent of its capacity throghout our entire life on average. Give your brain a break and instead concentrate on cultivating its awesome capacity. Secondly: Ask your doctor for this kind of advice. Don't trust a website's forum for advise on medicine for your brain. The internet is just a graffitti wall: Anybody can be an expert on anything.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rick
post Dec 22, 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #3

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

I agree about being careful with drugs, but I must take issue with the 10 percent brain myth. Here are some debunking sites:

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

http://www.brainconnection.com/topics/?main=fa/brain-myth

A nine hour exam is an unusual stress, but you can build your endurance. First, have good overall health. Vigorous daily exercise and a balanced diet are essential to building stamina. Professional chess players know this, but they go only three to five hours at a time, for several days in a row.

If your work circumstances are such that you still feel a drug boost will be helpful, I suggest the safest stimulant, caffeine. Take 100 milligrams (tablet form) every two or three hours with lots of water, as caffeine is a diuretic and will dry you out (with lots of urination visits to the bathroom). As a last resort, consider the (perhaps illegal, but possibly by prescription) alternative of 15 to 30 milligrams of amphetamine sulfate taken an hour before the exam. Amphetamines are very habit forming, so this should be only a one-time deal, with perhaps one practice session so you won't be surprised by its effect.

I'm not an expert, and when I took the graduate record exam (GRE) I did not use amphetamine. However, both caffeine and amphetamine are proven in the medical literature to significantly improve mental performance. This is only an idea to consider.
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 22, 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

QUOTE (code buttons @ Dec 22, 06:00 AM)
we use up only 10 percent of its capacity throghout our entire life on average.

like something else pointed out, the 10 percent myth is complete nonsense. Stick an electrode in the brain and you'll hear a majority of neurons firing away, even when the subject is doing 'nothing'. To suggest that active neurons have no function is to suggest that Nature is acting in vain; with the possible exception of the appendix, this is not the case, which means we are using far more than 10% of our brain. Do you really think you would function normally with 90% of your brain excised? If so, can I give you a lobotomy so we can confirm your 10% myth?
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 22, 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Um, I mean, "like someone else pointed out", not "something". Sorry!
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 22, 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

Ok, I now see you are referring to 10% of brain's capacity instead of 10% of brain. The two are not equivalent and I interpreted your post as suggesting we use 10% of our brain, when in fact you meant 10% of the brain's "capacity". Fine, my replies above missed the mark; however, how do you measure "brain capacity"? What exactly does that term even mean?
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 22, 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

QUOTE (KL @ Dec 22, 03:57 AM)
hi all!
I have a major exam coming up in the next month, its an endurance type exam over nine hours(with short breaks) designed to test your mental reasoning. Obviously enough, four hours into it anyones’ brain would start to go a little mushy!

On top of this i do shift work so I’m tired and therefore have been prescribed Modafinil (Provigil) as my sleep patterns are awol. I believe that this has some cognitive enhancing effects but can anyone recommend a fast acting nootropic for this type of exam to keep my brain from crashing? And one that wont interfere with the modafinil

Thanks
K

Here's my recipe for success:
4 gm crack, 1.5 gm nicotine, 8 gm crystal meth, 10 cups of black coffe, and top it off with 3 gm industrial strength rat poison. Bona petite!

Seriously, aerobic exercise (long distance jogging, whatever), a good full night's sleep, and make sure you're all practiced for the exam at least a couple of days before the test (and not the night before).
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 23, 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

You must be American. Only that can explain the ease with which you speak of taking prescription drugs and switching drugs around to accomodate your life-style.

Ain't that the truth! Only in America does the Pharmaceutical industry has so much lobbying influence and such power grip on our collective national phsichy to where they have us beleive that we need a pill for everything: happy pill, be-normal-pill, upper/downer pill, chill pill, loose weight pill. But, what about side effects and adverse reactions?! No problem: take another pill for that!
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 23, 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #9

Unregistered

QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 22, 01:32 PM)
with the possible exception of the appendix, this is not the case

What about wisdom teeth? Aren't they supposed to be nothing more than painful left-overs from the times when we were in caves and needed stronger jaws to brake-down hard-to-eat food?
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 24, 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #10

Unregistered

QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 22, 09:00 AM)

If your work circumstances are such that you still feel a drug boost will be helpful, I suggest the safest stimulant, caffeine. Take 100 milligrams (tablet form) every two or three hours with lots of water

Try this over-the counter product which has been available for this purpose you're talking about for decades here in the U.S.: Vivarin
Each tablet contains 200 mg of pure caffeine, which is as good as about 1 or 2 cups of coffee. It is as safe as coffee of soda. Only problem from my own experience: watch-out for the jitters. So don't over-dose.
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 24, 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #11

Unregistered

like something else pointed out, the 10 percent myth is complete nonsense. Stick an electrode in the brain and you'll hear a majority of neurons firing away, even when the subject is doing 'nothing'. To suggest that active neurons have no function is to suggest that Nature is acting in vain; with the possible exception of the appendix, this is not the case, which means we are using far more than 10% of our brain. Do you really think you would function normally with 90% of your brain excised? If so, can I give you a lobotomy so we can confirm your 10% myth?

Then how do you explain the doofer we put in the White House?
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Dec 24, 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 24, 03:52 PM)

Then how do you explain the doofer we put in the White House?

some people may be just brain-damaged, but that doesn't mean they're using 10% of their brain. Using much more than 10% of a brain-damaged brain, a doof may make actually it into the white house. The proof is in the Bush.
+Quote Post
SarahGM
post Aug 01, 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 32961

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy - http://onlinecheappills.com I recieved my pills within one week of ordering them.
P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 4y3g6f4k
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 09:44 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles