BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On The Spiritual Laziness And Gullibility Of Christians, Islamic Sheep, Buddhists, And Others Who Cannot Think For Themselves
lucid_dream
post Feb 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #1

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

It's funny that probably close to 99% of society believes in utterly primitive notions derived from religion. I have seen many actually hold their heads up high and be proud of the fact that they are naive and gullible enough to take the bible, koran, and other "sacred" works literally. How ridiculous is that?

In terms of mental, spiritual, and intellectual evolution and development, there is so much variability between individuals that it makes comparison and even dialogue difficult. How do you interact with people who are primitive christians, or primitive followers of islam, or primitive buddhists, or in general, people who are so mentally and spiritually lazy that they cannot think for themselves and instead choose to blindly accept the words of others as truth?

The best thing these religious sheep can do for themselves is to destroy their belief system, and start over from scratch, trying to think for themselves and make use of their experience. There is something far better than any religion can offer, but it is up to you to find it for yourselves. No one else can tell you what it is, though sometimes it's possible to point other people in the right direction. So come on, get to it!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Feb 11, 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #2

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4768

lol I think the purpose of religion may be as a break from reality for those who cant handle it! haha funny but true. The notion that someone is looking out for you is to help those who are overly worried with their daily lives, the one that always gets me is "why does god make people suffer?" ugh the very question brings up ideas of smaking the ones who asked. Even if an almighty being did exist then what would the diffrence be between earth and heaven if no one suffred and further more (as previously discussed) not only would earth almost become more like hell than if their was suffering but no one would improve, everyone would become more and more lazy because their would be no reason for them to work or improve themselves. This actually has been occuring over time with the human race but on a much slower scale. It is also the reason for the increase in obesity, plainly we dont have to do anything! we dont need to hunt or walk or work. Everything is handed to us so we turn into lazy fat asses.

Although I do have to say the figure for those who believe in a religion is much lower than 99%. Although I cannot remember the statistics anymore I was shown what the worldwide percentages were for the major religions, then all the small ones were group together and what was left was the non believers tongue.gif. However I would not call people primitive unless I was to call myself primitive as well, this is because as foolish as it may seem that they believe in religion so too do non believers do foolish things. I do understand what it is like talking to someone who is a complete true believe in whatever lord they worship and it can be very frustrating. This lack of open mindedness is like beating your head against a brick wall. My solution is not to debate it out with them if they are completly unopenminded (because no matter how right you prove yourself they wont believe you) instead I let them go on with their lives believing in what they want as I spend my time looking for others who are above it instead of wasting time (I have tried) conversing with those who are to close minded to listen.
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 11, 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #3

God

Religion has some interesting ideas, but to blindly accept the tenets of any religion on "Faith" amounts to voluntary enprisonment of your mind and spirit. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

+Quote Post
maximus242
post Feb 11, 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #4

God

actually you bring up an intresting idea, did you know almost all of the time people will choose security over freedom? this is what religions live off of.

This post has been edited by maximus242: Feb 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
+Quote Post
cerebral
post Feb 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Overlord

Group: Full Member
Member No.: 957

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Feb 11, 04:22 PM) *

actually you bring up an intresting idea, did you know almost all of the time people will choose security over freedom? this is what religions live off of.

I'm inclined to think they live off pulling the wool over your eyes while demanding obedience and financial contributions. If you're cute enough, they might try to get other things too.

+Quote Post
maximus242
post Feb 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #6

God

lol its sad but true what goes on in religion but it has improved 700% compared to what it used to be. I will put up some info on how cults and other agencies using mind control & mind manipulation operate by tommorow if I can. anyways g2g for now cyah tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 11, 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Feb 11, 11:52 PM) *

It's funny that probably close to 99% of society believes in utterly primitive notions derived from religion. I have seen many actually hold their heads up high and be proud of the fact that they are naive and gullible enough to take the bible, koran, and other "sacred" works literally. How ridiculous is that?

In terms of mental, spiritual, and intellectual evolution and development, there is so much variability between individuals that it makes comparison and even dialogue difficult. How do you interact with people who are primitive christians, or primitive followers of islam, or primitive buddhists, or in general, people who are so mentally and spiritually lazy that they cannot think for themselves and instead choose to blindly accept the words of others as truth?

The best thing these religious sheep can do for themselves is to destroy their belief system, and start over from scratch, trying to think for themselves and make use of their experience. There is something far better than any religion can offer, but it is up to you to find it for yourselves. No one else can tell you what it is, though sometimes it's possible to point other people in the right direction. So come on, get to it!

Is this a serious question or just a slam? Are you claiming to know something of the history or origin of these religions so as to be an authoritive spokesman or are you whining because you can't come to common ground with these people you have alienated from your set standards of evolution?

Do you find no benefit to the belief in God regardless of the limits one has in their knowledge of God?

Personally I find the idea that so many are focused on God even in a limited fashion quite compelling, in that there is a force in nature that inspires a desire to believe in something even if it's limited by personal knowledge.

You can pretty much trace every religion back to a single root. Those who became enlightened and shared their experiences attracted those who were in their own life ready for something, anything that might explain the drive within themselves to seek the answers to questions.
The only limits to the process are in the abilities of one to recognize something that exists outside of the box the personality has built in beliefs of reality.
One has to learn to crawl before they can walk. True compassion is in recognizing all levels of evolutionary progress and giving them equal value rather than trashing those that seem below our boxed standards built on our own weak sense of self worth. It's easy to trash the little guy when we are seeking to maintain our own elite status. In fact it becomes necessary so that we can maintain our position.
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 11, 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #8

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 11, 08:14 PM) *

Do you find no benefit to the belief in God regardless of the limits one has in their knowledge of God?

Personally I find the idea that so many are focused on God even in a limited fashion quite compelling, in that there is a force in nature that inspires a desire to believe in something even if it's limited by personal knowledge.
True compassion is in recognizing all levels of evolutionary progress and giving them equal value rather than trashing those that seem below our boxed standards built on our own weak sense of self worth. It's easy to trash the little guy when we are seeking to maintain our own elite status. In fact it becomes necessary so that we can maintain our position.

Joesus, my post is a rant about blind acceptance of religious doctrine without backing it up with personal experience and thought. Your observation that many are focused on God is considerably less interesting when we begin to realize that many people just parrot what they've read or been taught without giving thought to what they're saying and what they're blindly accepting as true. We must question all our assumptions periodically. Religious doctrines are nothing more than a large conglomeration of assumptions that the religious authorities want you to accept on blind faith. This blind acceptance is what I take issue with and what disgusts me. So no, you will not find me sympathizing with thoughtless sheep anytime soon. Our time on earth is too short for nonsense and false identification.

I've said before that I believe religion has a purpose and that each of us must pass through a religious phase. But that being said, each of us also must pass through oral and anal phases as a baby, yet we don't elevate their importance or claim that they're the best phases in the world. Religion is no different. Anyone caught in it, who blindly accepts religious doctrines, I consider below a child and will treat as such. At least a child maintains an open-mind and looks upon all with fresh eyes. Religious doctrines are meant to dull the mind and turn you into a blindly obedient servant of the religious authority. It is all about power, ignorance, and gullibility. There is little that is holy or transcendental in that.

All assumptions can be questioned. Our lives are full of them, and most of the time we do not question them. We should be questioning and reevaluating. Wouldn't you agree?

+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 12, 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #9

Supreme God

All assumptions can be questioned. Our lives are full of them, and most of the time we do not question them. We should be questioning and reevaluating.

It's funny that probably close to 99% of society believes in utterly primitive notions derived from religion.

Are you sure this isn't an assumption?
Couldn't you also say religion is interpreted through the primitive notions, or cognition of the inner impulses or clouded intuition regarding the forces of nature and the experiences of nature and its relationship with humanity?

IF, you had an understanding of the creation of the universe and a relationship that was united with it rather than separated from it would you rant about something that you were connected to?

Even if you had a limited knowledge and questioned the reality of God and the universe, rather than following any assumptions would it and does it do any good to complain about the things around you other than maybe temporarily satisfying some sense of self measure?

Wouldn't it be more constructive to look into your own relationship with the essence of that, which inspires all religions and relationships with God and the Universe rather than to point to something and complain about it?
Is there possibly something there to inspire YOU, to find more that satifies both the intellect and the heart in you? If so wouldn't that be something to be grateful for?

In my own experience I find that there is no such thing as Chaos.
The body and the world is only a reflection or extension of the mind in its own beliefs of reality. The mind when disconnected from the pure intuitive aspect of the heart always tries to find identity in a world that is constantly changing, creating beliefs based on experiences of the past which are usually created from limited beliefs in reality.
Often superstition perpetuates itself because the majority hides behind democratic process, not opening itself to differences in opinion and embracing that which connects individual experiences to the diversity of humanity. Focus is on what is wrong with the world rather than what is followed thru perceptions of personal realities and beliefs. In other words we tend to look at the world thru our own filters when we see something that inspires us to rant rather than to seek the Truth and then share that with those that are ready to drop their illusions for something more real.

There are a lot of good things in the Bible and the Koran if you know what is Truth. Just because someone doesn't use the tools correctly doesn't mean the tools are bad or that the untrained user is unable to grasp reality.

This post has been edited by Joesus: Feb 12, 2006, 01:58 AM
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 12, 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #10

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 12, 01:55 AM) *
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Feb 11, 03:52 PM) *

All assumptions can be questioned. Our lives are full of them, and most of the time we do not question them. We should be questioning and reevaluating.

It's funny that probably close to 99% of society believes in utterly primitive notions derived from religion.

Are you sure this isn't an assumption?

It is an inference based on experience. The only assumption is that my broad experience with individuals may be generalized to entire population. Given that my sampling of the population is biased towards educated individuals, I figure my original estimate of 99% of society thoughtlessly believing in primitive religious notions is an underestimate. The figure may be closer to 99.99%.

IF, you had an understanding of the creation of the universe and a relationship that was united with it rather than separated from it would you rant about something that you were connected to?

I don't see why not. Just the fact that we are all interconnected with everything else in the universe in one way or another does not imply we can't rant about things.

does it do any good to complain about the things around you other than maybe temporarily satisfying some sense of self measure?

complaining and questioning assumptions are two different things. I am not complaining. I am suggesting that people think more and question their assumptions more instead of blindly and thoughtlessly accepting other people's dogmas as truth.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to look into your own relationship with the essence of that, which inspires all religions and relationships with God and the Universe

I do both, and more.

Is there possibly something there to inspire YOU, to find more that satifies both the intellect and the heart in you? If so wouldn't that be something to be grateful for?

There is much to be grateful for, but there would be much more to be grateful for if more people learned to think for themselves. Wouldn't you agree Joesus, or are you grateful for the people who blindly and thoughtlessly accept what you teach them without giving it thought or relating it to their personal experience?

In my own experience I find that there is no such thing as Chaos.

What does this have to do with anything?

The body and the world is only a reflection or extension of the mind in its own beliefs of reality.

depends on how you define mind. Reflection is not the same thing as extension. Are you saying you believe the world is a reflection of the mind or an extension? Does this not make it different from the mind?

There are a lot of good things in the Bible and the Koran if you know what is Truth.

There are few diamonds in a lot of mud. We would do well to separate the wheat from the chaff and get rid of the "holy bs" books altogether.

Just because someone doesn't use the tools correctly doesn't mean the tools are bad

agreed, but irrelevent for the purposes of this dialogue

+Quote Post
maximus242
post Feb 12, 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #11

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 11, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Feb 11, 11:52 PM) *

Is this a serious question or just a slam? Are you claiming to know something of the history or origin of these religions so as to be an authoritive spokesman or are you whining because you can't come to common ground with these people you have alienated from your set standards of evolution?

You can pretty much trace every religion back to a single root. Those who became enlightened and shared their experiences attracted those who were in their own life ready for something, anything that might explain the drive within themselves to seek the answers to questions.
The only limits to the process are in the abilities of one to recognize something that exists outside of the box the personality has built in beliefs of reality.
One has to learn to crawl before they can walk. True compassion is in recognizing all levels of evolutionary progress and giving them equal value rather than trashing those that seem below our boxed standards built on our own weak sense of self worth. It's easy to trash the little guy when we are seeking to maintain our own elite status. In fact it becomes necessary so that we can maintain our position.

Religion has been traced all the way back to shamanism which is said the be the first form of religion. And lucid a lot less than 99.99% of people believe in a religion.

This post has been edited by maximus242: Feb 12, 2006, 12:45 PM
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 12, 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #12

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 11, 08:14 PM) *

Depends on how you define God. I believe beliefs have utility and sometimes are even related to truth, but we should all be examining and re-evaluating all of our assumptions every now and then, even assumptions involving God.

People who blindly and thoughtlessly accept and parrot what others teach should learn to think for themselves. Otherwise, they will be pawns of others.

+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #13

Supreme God

complaining and questioning assumptions are two different things. I am not complaining. I am suggesting that people think more and question their assumptions more instead of blindly and thoughtlessly accepting other people's dogmas as truth.

Ranting and questioning are two different things..

I don't see why not. Just the fact that we are all interconnected with everything else in the universe in one way or another does not imply we can't rant about things.

No it doesn't, it doesn't imply that you should either. I was simply suggesting that if you were omniscient you would have knowledge of what the end result of this creation was. There are different ideas about being connected. If you were the master builder of your own house you would know what you were building. Being that your own vision is that of a speculated opinion based on the knowledge of union rather than the experience of Union you still hold the world outside of you as in need of something but haven't a clue how to approach your diagnosis.

You are making an assumption that most are as interested in other peoples choices and opinions as you are, and that people in general blindly accept others choices, beliefs and points of view as their own.
Personally when exploring anothers beliefs I find making blanket statements about humanity as a whole based on a few individuals limiting.

I do both, and more.

Well I haven't seen any proof of that but I won't make make the assumption that you haven't done the best that you know how.

There is much to be grateful for, but there would be much more to be grateful for if more people learned to think for themselves. Wouldn't you agree Joesus, or are you grateful for the people who blindly and thoughtlessly accept what you teach them without giving it thought or relating it to their personal experience?

I'm not invested in what people decide to do with their power of choice. I find surrender in service regardless of the outcome quite expanding.

depends on how you define mind. Reflection is not the same thing as extension. Are you saying you believe the world is a reflection of the mind or an extension? Does this not make it different from the mind?

Only when you see reflection and extension as two different things, then yes mind becomes something different

There are few diamonds in a lot of mud. We would do well to separate the wheat from the chaff and get rid of the "holy bs" books altogether.

I hear that from a lot of people who do not understand the influence of God in creation. Generally from those that have their own expectations of reality, without the experience of Union.

agreed, but irrelevent for the purposes of this dialogue

Sounds like there is room for more in your experience of self reflection and evolution of both mind and body.

By the way defining God in any manner, including separating any aspect of what you see as being right or wrong or separate from the creation God is a blind assumption.
There are no victims and there are no pawns once you really get to know God.

This post has been edited by Joesus: Feb 12, 2006, 04:38 PM
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 12, 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #14

God

Joesus, I get the impression from you that you believe that being content with everything and being accepting of everything just the way it is is the sure sign of wisdom and the pinnacle of spirit. This is false. You may be content with the way things are, but I do not believe you are any wiser for it. Quite the contrary in fact.

People, when they age, tend to become more mellow, more feminine (or receptive), more resigned to "fate" and circumstance, and less able to make discriminating choices (hence, the "everything is the same" line). This is weakness, not the sign of wisdom. I have not seen any evidence that your motives for what you say are anything other than that of a tired person.

And let's face it, religious scriptures are poorly written, poorly articulated, and contain little in the way of wisdom. They appeal to the masses, hence their popularity, but since when does wisdom and truth compromise itself for the masses; never.

Our species would do better to extract out the few lines of wisdom from the mass of religious scriptures, and to put the rest to flame. Anyone who thinks wisdom is to be found from reading scripture is not wise. Wisdom is to be found in the experience itself.

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 12, 04:33 PM) *
Sounds like there is room for more in your experience of self reflection and evolution of both mind and body.

sounds like there's room for you too. There's room for everyone.

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 12, 04:33 PM) *
There are no victims and there are no pawns once you really get to know God.

No victims? If you really believe that, burn down your house and cut off your right arm.

+Quote Post
post Feb 12, 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

People are generally getting smarter. We are more aware of the world around us. Technology is helping us to understand more, quicker. Institutional religion is in crisis. People just don't see the point in 'having faith'. Why waste time believing in something that is ineffable? Why not help fellow humans directly rather than spend time in a church worshipping? Why be exclusive? Why not judge people individually? Faith in God is falling apart I think. 'What is God' is increasingly being answered with: 'a dated control mechanism leveraging forced ignorance and the fear of the unknown for the benefit of the few'.
+Quote Post
post Feb 12, 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #16

Unregistered

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it." -- Andre Gide

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Feb 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #17

God

I'm not invested in what people decide to do with their power of choice. I find surrender in service regardless of the outcome quite expanding.

I see no diffrence between your god and any other totaltarian. The idea that this loving god would threaten his people with the notion that if they didnt do what he wants he will send em to hell alone disproves the ideas of a loving god. Your no more than sheep to afraid of the wolves, so you follow the shepard to whatever end he will lead you to.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 12, 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #18

Supreme God

Joesus, I get the impression from you that you believe that being content with everything and being accepting of everything just the way it is is the sure sign of wisdom and the pinnacle of spirit.

First impressions are often deceiving when one places their own thoughts about reality on the board as being universal Truth. I take it since you accept the idea that there's room for more in your experience that you won't be standing still in this single impression without (at some point) actually asking questions to receive more.

Heres a jewel for you.:
Mt 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

and:

Eccles 8:17 Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labour to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea farther; though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.

1 Cor 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Got any Idea what this means?

People, when they age, tend to become more mellow, more feminine (or receptive), more resigned to "fate" and circumstance, and less able to make discriminating choices (hence, the "everything is the same" line). This is weakness, not the sign of wisdom. I have not seen any evidence that your motives for what you say are anything other than that of a tired person.

More projections of your personal beliefs? Should I or anyone else take for granted this and the other statement about 99% of humanity being sheep because you believe this to be true? If I was to accept this as being universeal Truth without having my own experience wouldn't I just become one of your sheep?

And let's face it, religious scriptures are poorly written, poorly articulated, and contain little in the way of wisdom. They appeal to the masses, hence their popularity, but since when does wisdom and truth compromise itself for the masses; never.

Sometimes poorly translated, most often misunderstood. I would agree that wisdom and truth do not compromise each other, it is only the misunderstanding of truth and wisdom that perpetuates the illusion of conflict and compromise.

Our species would do better to extract out the few lines of wisdom from the mass of religious scriptures, and to put the rest to flame. Anyone who thinks wisdom is to be found from reading scripture is not wise. Wisdom is to be found in the experience itself.

What do you recommend as the point of authority to determine Truth and wisdom?

No victims? If you really believe that, burn down your house and cut off your right arm.

Come again?.. If I burnt my own house and cut my own arm off, how would I be a victim to my own actions?

I see no diffrence between your god and any other totaltarian. The idea that this loving god would threaten his people with the notion that if they didnt do what he wants he will send em to hell alone disproves the ideas of a loving god. Your no more than sheep to afraid of the wolves, so you follow the shepard to whatever end he will lead you to.

God doesn't threaten anyone. Some people may believe God is threatening them thru their own superstitions and ignorant beliefs.
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 12, 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #19

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 12, 09:24 PM) *
First impressions are often deceiving when one places their own thoughts about reality on the board as being universal Truth.

I did not preach universal truths. I have only conveyed my observations of people in general, and issued a call for people to start thinking more for themselves instead of just accepting as true what religious authorities or others feed them. It is partly out of pity that I issued the call, and also in the hope that some might listen.

More projections of your personal beliefs? Should I or anyone else take for granted this and the other statement about 99% of humanity being sheep because you believe this to be true? If I was to accept this as being universeal Truth without having my own experience wouldn't I just become one of your sheep?

no-one is immune to projecting, not even you. We can do our best to guard against it as the situation warrants. No, you should not take anything I say for granted. Like I said before, I am not claiming universal truths. Only sharing my observations and making a request of others. I am not looking for sheep, simply to find resonance in others who share my sentiments.

Heres a jewel for you.:

I am too rich for that.

Got any Idea what this means?

I was not born yesterday.

What do you recommend as the point of authority to determine Truth and wisdom?

I do not recommend any authorities save our experience. We are the authorities. Not those old ones whose words echo throughout the centuries and who are parroted by parrots as soon as they learn to talk.

Come again?.. If I burnt my own house and cut my own arm off, how would I be a victim to my own actions?

no doubt some would say it was your own fault, but I would understand and would try to convince everyone else that you were a victim of your beliefs.

+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 12, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #20

Supreme God

I did not preach universal truths. I have only conveyed my observations of people in general, and issued a call for people to start thinking more for themselves instead of just accepting as true what religious authorities or others feed them. It is partly out of pity that I issued the call, and also in the hope that some might listen.

Interesting, you appeal to others to ask questions and seek answers, but before you ask questions of me you make general observations of me based on your beliefs of older people and the stereotyping you have attached to older people in general.
Is this what you are seeking to draw towards you, more like minded individuals who through their own similar beliefs look to change the world more to your liking?

no-one is immune to projecting
Then why make general statements about people around your changing experiences?

I was not born yesterday.

I'll take that as a no..

I do not recommend any authorities save our experience. We are the authorities. Not those old ones whose words echo throughout the centuries and who are parroted by parrots as soon as they learn to talk.
Experiences change. You haven't really met 99% of humanity nor do you seem to have the experience of studying religion to understand the concept behind it. You still haven't answered my question of what the quotes of scripture mean. Perhaps you need to ask more questions and seek to discover what underlies your approach in making general statements about the world from just your own single experience.

no doubt some would say it was your own fault, but I would understand and would try to convince everyone else that you were a victim of your beliefs.

I see... So much for letting others have their own experience and being their own authority..
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 12, 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #21

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 12, 10:48 PM) *
but before you ask questions of me you make general observations of me based on your beliefs of older people and the stereotyping you have attached to older people in general.

you're right. I should not have done that.

Is this what you are seeking to draw towards you, more like minded individuals who through their own similar beliefs look to change the world more to your liking?

with others involved, there is no I, only our.

why not? So long as I'm not projecting.

I'll take that as a no..

You should take that as an "I will not be lured into that trap". The bible is open to ridiculously many interpretations. I don't need others misinterpreting my interpretations and attacking straw men.

Experiences change.

Which is good. If they didn't, life would get boring really fast.

You haven't really met 99% of humanity

I don't know what you mean since "humanity" is an abstract term. If you mean I haven't met 99% percent of the human population, well that's obvious. No-one has.

nor do you seem to have the experience of studying religion to understand the concept behind it

if you have something to contribute, do. What do you believe is the concept behind religion that, according to you, I do not understand?

You still haven't answered my question of what the quotes of scripture mean.

because it is irrelevant. And also for the reason given above. If there is some interpretation you think I'm missing, then out with it man.

Perhaps you need to ask more questions

or perhaps I have been asking too many questions and need to take more actions.

I see... So much for letting others have their own experience and being their own authority..

you're the one who said there were no victims. Maybe instead of suggesting that you burn down your house and cut off your right arm, I should have just asked you if you would feel victimized if someone else burnt down your house and cut off your right arm with a steak knife.

+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 13, 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #22

Supreme God

with others involved, there is no I, only our.

You're mixing words..
The point is, that you are like the 99% you claim to have knowledge of in that you seek security within the beliefs of your own ideals regardless of how far you have taken yourself into the knowledge and experience of it. If you have room to grow than why make assumptions at your present level of experience?
If you feel you have that right then why not give that freedom and right to all others? What makes your personal Jihad most righteous? The rationalization that you face a majority that seeks to change the world to their point of view leaves you in a minority seeking to find union in a like minded attempt to change the majority.

why not? So long as I'm not projecting.

If your experiences change how do you know you aren't projecting from a lesser experience? So far you haven't really talked about the reality of absolutes or of consciousness, the essence behind reality and the manifest display of diversity and free will.
You seem interested in your will being righteous according to your level of experience and the condemnation of others who do not meet your expectations or standards. What of others who have more knowledge than you? Do they exist? And more importantly do they have the right to suggest as you have that you may be following designs based on ignorance or lack of knowledge and experience and would you accept that as you wish the lesser that you have outlined to surrender to your will?

I'll take that as a no..
You should take that as an "I will not be lured into that trap". The bible is open to ridiculously many interpretations. I don't need others misinterpreting my interpretations and attacking straw men.

Paranoia strikes deep.... I'm asking you to share your experience of the Bible, not your opinion of others words of the bible Why not give others the freedom to make their own determination of your knowledge and experience as you have done with them? How else are you going to offer the truth about religons and what is in the bible if you yourself do not understand what is in it? Simply making the statement that it should be burned is only coming from your opinion that it or those who read it have corrupted the 99% of humans that you are seeking to change. Have you read the Bible?

You haven't really met 99% of humanity
I don't know what you mean since "humanity" is an abstract term. If you mean I haven't met 99% percent of the human population, well that's obvious. No-one has.

How long does it take you to really know someone? I'm genuinely curious since you are making claim to having a relationship with the 99% you are seeking to change.

nor do you seem to have the experience of studying religion to understand the concept behind it
if you have something to contribute, do. What do you believe is the concept behind religion that, according to you, I do not understand?

I'm asking you to expand beyond the general concepts you have made about religion. Where your knowledge comes from. Have you actually read the Bible or the Koran since you mentioned them in particular, or the Upanishads, the Vedic Teachings. The Teachings of the East and the West are both founded in common territory.

You still haven't answered my question of what the quotes of scripture mean.
because it is irrelevant. And also for the reason given above. If there is some interpretation you think I'm missing, then out with it man.

It's not irrelevant. making general statements that the book should be burned does not discuss the essence of the teaching that inspired its creation. There are many interpretations, I'm looking for yours, that is what is missing from your claims to experience, not your opinion of others interpretations.
Evolution of spiritual awareness is part and parcel to the Growth of awareness, Scripture is ultimately flexible to allow all interpretations no matter how simple or obscure. Free will and the ability to make choices at all levels of experience is what makes humanity different than animals. No one is following anyone without their ability to make the decision to follow. Unfortunately you can't take that away and have others follow you and your ideals without taking their choice away from them or convincing them that your choice is best for them.
You have been suggesting that others need to see your point of view, and so far the point of view is that what you see is wrong and needs to be changed, but in order for someone to move past their own experience there necessarily has to be something greater for them to surrender to. Your opinion offers nothing greater to step into.
Perhaps if you had something of value to offer on God and religion they might listen to you.
If they believe in God and have an experience of God than I doubt that they will give up their experience for your experience no matter what you had to say.

Perhaps you need to ask more questions
or perhaps I have been asking too many questions and need to take more actions.
or perhaps you have been asking the wrong question.

you're the one who said there were no victims. Maybe instead of suggesting that you burn down your house and cut off your right arm, I should have just asked you if you would feel victimized if someone else burnt down your house and cut off your right arm with a steak knife.

Perhaps that is the reason you are at where you are at. Your own evolution of understanding and communication is still ongoing. If you want clarity for others you must first be clear.

This post has been edited by Joesus: Feb 13, 2006, 07:01 PM
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 14, 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #23

God

Joesus, you're assuming many things, such as my statements are due to limited concepts and experience, whereas what I was requesting at the start was a re-evalution of our widely held assumptions. I reread the thread, and it's evident we are not budging from our positions, so in light of this irreconciliability, let's agree to disagree, at least for the time being.
+Quote Post
post Feb 14, 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #24

Unregistered

QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Feb 14, 07:25 AM) *

Joesus, you're assuming many things, such as my statements are due to limited concepts and experience, whereas what I was requesting at the start was a re-evalution of our widely held assumptions. I reread the thread, and it's evident we are not budging from our positions, so in light of this irreconciliability, let's agree to disagree, at least for the time being.

I'm assuming nothing. I'm simply asking questions you seem to have not resolved in your own mind because you have no clear answers to them. So in light of this I'll agree that you are making general statements based on insufficient knowledge and experience.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 14, 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #25

Supreme God

what I was requesting at the start was a re-evalution of our widely held assumptions.

I'm sure you've heard the old saying that you can't solve a problem from the level that it was created...
+Quote Post
post Feb 15, 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #26

Unregistered

Hello lucid_dream,

I agree with your general idea about religions. But religion is only one form of self-deception. If some one did not subscibe to any religion but had some other form of self_deception, that would also be harmful. I suggest that you focus on self_deception as the most basic evil. Have you thought about this idea? This is a friendly suggestion and not a criticism.
+Quote Post
post Feb 15, 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #27

Unregistered

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 15, 04:19 PM) *

Hello lucid_dream,

I agree with your general idea about religions. But religion is only one form of self-deception. If some one did not subscibe to any religion but had some other form of self_deception, that would also be harmful. I suggest that you focus on self_deception as the most basic evil. Have you thought about this idea? This is a friendly suggestion and not a criticism.

guest,

what is your understanding of self-deception and harmfulness...what is evil?
+Quote Post
post Feb 15, 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #28

Unregistered

"I'm sure you've heard the old saying that you can't solve a problem from the level that it was created"

HUH? isn't the level that anything is created is as it source? thus...one must go to the source to solve a problem?

+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 15, 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #29

Supreme God

QUOTE(guest @ Feb 16, 12:48 AM) *

"I'm sure you've heard the old saying that you can't solve a problem from the level that it was created"

HUH? isn't the level that anything is created is as it source? thus...one must go to the source to solve a problem?

So what would you identify as the source of this issue?
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Feb 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #30

God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 14, 08:49 AM) *
I'm assuming nothing. I'm simply asking questions you seem to have not resolved in your own mind because you have no clear answers to them. So in light of this I'll agree that you are making general statements based on insufficient knowledge and experience.

In other words, Joesus, you're making assumptions because what you said above is equivalent to the following:

I'm assuming nothing. I'm simply asking questions that I am assuming you have not resolved in your own mind because I'm assuming you have no clear answers to them. So in light of these assumptions of mine, I'll (wrongly) conclude that you are making general statements based on insufficient knowledge and experience.

That's a lot of assumptions for someone who's claiming they're assuming nothing, wouldn't you say? Is it possible for you to approach this topic with an open mind?

QUOTE(Joesus @ Feb 14, 06:20 PM) *
what I was requesting at the start was a re-evalution of our widely held assumptions.

I'm sure you've heard the old saying that you can't solve a problem from the level that it was created...

The problem here is the myriad assumptions and doctrines that people thoughtlessly maintain. So what solution are you proposing?
+Quote Post

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles