BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Human Brainome Project
purkinje4u
post Mar 21, 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I'm sure most of you have not heard about the Human Brainome Project which was launched last year and how it is working to map every neuron and synapse of our brains in excruciating detail. It may be the most inspiring and disturbing technological project in contemporary history, and underlies the agenda of several brain mapping organizations, most prominently this one. Apparently there is now a race going on with corporations also performing similar experiments, except with the intent of patenting the results. Now what I'm wondering is if another distributed computing effort might be in order. What do you all think? I don't see how information like this can be patented. There is nothing truly proprietary about it, and it would do more good in the public where the benefit can truly be felt.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Mar 22, 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4556

Without the right incentive, no action may be taken. And money is the ultimate incentive. I say, let them corporations do the hard work and, once finished, a way should be found to deal with the information distribution. Either way, the public wins.
I'm surprise that you think no one here at BRAIN META has heard of these projects. That's as naive a statement as I've read in a while!!!
(Maybe you were joking, which means I just wrote the naivest statement I've seen in awhile)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Mar 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #3

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4768

It is almost a waste of breath to talk to someone who thinks that no one here as heard of the project considering Shawn is a neuroscientist and is mapping the brain on his website brainmaps.org
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Mar 22, 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #4

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

I think it's meant as a joke. There have been no announcements for a Human Brainome Project, though there may be soon. And even if there was, what would you patent?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 09:28 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles