Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Jun 19, 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #2

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

100 trillion (10^14) is what I've heard, assuming 10 billion neurons (10^10), each having an average of 10,000 synapses.

the methods for computation rely on statistical sampling, which are liable to large errors. Even saying the figures computed for total synapses in the human brain using statistical sampling fall within a "ballpark" range is probably too optimistic. IMHO, nothing short of a comprehensive mapping (and counting) will offer a satisfactory answer.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post Jun 20, 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

Hopefully you can elucidate this further in your work LD. Just shows how ambitious a project mapping every synapse really is!
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jun 20, 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #4

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 25755

at that point, it seems pointless to compare the amounts. Utilization seems more productive....

All i know is that theres a shitload, so try to make the best out of what you have....and it seems like a great selection
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Jun 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #5

God

Member No.: 4768

Could probably come up with some kind of synapse imaging technology using nanotechnology based sensors along with computational algorithms to figure it out. Use molecular properties of the synapse to trigger a molecular sensor, kind of like how supramolecular chemistry works and then use that to send a count signal to a "counter" maybe like a modified DNA string, then mark the synapse in some way to avoid it from being counted again.

Things are a little tricky on the nanoscale for computation, but its doable for something so simple. Then processing the information you could even just have multiple counters, thousands or millions of things that keep the count and billions of "counting" molecules. Then simply extract the counter molecules and run some kind of machine that detects the number of a counting molecule. Basically you could just use amino acids for the counting molecule and instead of having it for genetic code, use it for computation.

Theres been some work on modifying DNA like that for computation.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jun 21, 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

I wonder what the variability is? And the male-female differences? And the change with age? But accuracy could be quite important to make any sense of the differences.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Jun 26, 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #7

Aspiring

Member No.: 22853

Also, don't forget that in the number of synapses will vary by 35-50% in a sleep wake cycle.

As you are awake in the day, you build synapses as you interact with your environment and experience.
In the night, sleep prunes away those synapses via slow wave activity, to refresh them back to a baseline state after every full sleep. Only a small trace of the synapses are left to retain memory. This helps save energy and creates space for new synapses to be formed.
+Quote Post
kortikal
post Jun 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #8

Awakening

Member No.: 4755

QUOTE(astroidea @ Jun 26, 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Also, don't forget that in the number of synapses will vary by 35-50% in a sleep wake cycle.

As you are awake in the day, you build synapses as you interact with your environment and experience.
In the night, sleep prunes away those synapses via slow wave activity, to refresh them back to a baseline state after every full sleep. Only a small trace of the synapses are left to retain memory. This helps save energy and creates space for new synapses to be formed.

Source?
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Sep 27, 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Aspiring

QUOTE(kortikal @ Jun 28, 2009, 11:53 PM) *

QUOTE(astroidea @ Jun 26, 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Source?

Sorry for the late response, haven't checked this thread in a while
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16376591
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Sep 28, 2009, 06:42 AM
Post #10

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

great, but that reference does not claim that number of synapses varies by 30-50%, only that synaptic strength varies.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Sep 29, 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #11

Aspiring

QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Sep 28, 2009, 07:42 AM) *

great, but that reference does not claim that number of synapses varies by 30-50%, only that synaptic strength varies.

I stand corrected.
I misunderstood what synpatic weight was when reading the article, which I thought was due to both quantity and strength. I feel a bit sheepish now presenting that to my class. My TA didn't catch me on that.

+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post Dec 20, 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #12

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

Finally getting around to reading "The Synaptic Organization of the Brain" (awesome book by the way!!) and Shepherd says that there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 trillion synapses in the human cortex. Not sure if Shepherd revises this estimate in the latest Microcircuit book and I know we are working with extremely rough estimates here and a precise mapping will be the only way to get precise numbers, but it is interesting how much variation there is in sampling estimates.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 04:45 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles