Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Secular Meditation?, looking for information and techniques
Vertigo
post Dec 09, 2010, 08:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33029

I'd love to know where I could find some information and guidance in meditation that doesn't require me to assume the existence of spiritual energy, chakras, etc.

I'm willing to believe that regardless of whether such things literally exist (in the scientific sense of reality, not talking about metaphysics or purely conceptual/abstract things) the conceptualization and belief in them could lead to real benefits or desirable results but I hate that wherever I turn to learn meditation techniques I am first educated about a bunch of stuff that may as well be mythological as far as I'm concerned and I am expected to buy into it. I know people who are better off because of meditation and there is a lot of compelling evidence supporting the idea that it could help promote happiness, peace of mind and various forms of well being and most appealing to me, some interesting experiences. The trouble is that I can't choose to believe something I see no reason to believe in (other than the experiential benefits of believing it) because I'm a skeptic. My skepticism is what I believe to be a big obstacle barring many learning techniques from being applicable to me but I also value that skepticism very much. I'm patient and I would say that I'm fairly open minded too but am having a great deal of difficulty finding instructors, guides and books that will teach technique and express knowledge as knowledge and opinion as opinion without a great deal of dependence on making some huge leaps of faith about the very nature of reality. Am I making any sense? I don't need a thorough scientific understanding of anything here, I just want to know where I can learn some techniques that I can apply without depending on making unreasonable assumptions to get there.

Let me just clarify that any of you reading this who practice meditation and preach or believe in the things I'm trying to avoid, I don't doubt that it works for you or that it's been beneficial - It's just very difficult for me to to apply it. I don't want to be told to feel energies - if I feel an energy, I'll feel an energy but I can't chose to feel something that isn't there and if it IS there, whatever it is, I don't know how to feel it and need to be told how rather than just told to do it. I don't want to have my chakras endlessly explained to me without any explanation as to how it is known that they exist or what reason I have to believe they may exist. I don't want to assume their presence. I don't want to hear about mystical energies or anything mystical at all for that matter. I'm not saying I'll walk away at the first mention of an energy that isn't electrical, magnetic, chemical, thermal, mechanical or any other form of energy strictly defined by physics. I'm totally down to use abstract, figurative and metaphorical thinking - Carl Jung may have used the term "psychic energy" literally and that term may have no literal scientific value but some of the ideas that utilize such a term are still applicable and useful despite this so in the right context, terms like psychic energy and mental energy are perfectly comprehensible and acceptable even to me - I'm not looking for excuses to discredit anything I hear. I do want to understand. I'm just not big on blind faith.

A point in the right direction would be really cool.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
majentis
post Dec 09, 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7590

Is there any particular reason for wanting to meditate; an aspect of mind you're hoping to cultivate? I've not got any links, just how I've gone about it:

An easy way to start is to simply stop being carried along by the stream of thought. For some people is goes like this: A thought process emerges and, in those early phases, it is an observable phenomena. Very quickly it grows in size, its 'gravity' getting stronger and before you know it - you are actively participating in and contributing to the continuation of the thought.

So for example I might be sitting quietly, with no apparent thoughts. Then a faint thought process about apples arises...there's no real context to it, only the idea or image of apples. At this point, my conscious self becomes aware of the apple thought emerging, and I let it pass me by. If not, then soon I'm thinking about the time I ate an apple with a worm in it...and so the thought goes.

This can be done by maintaining a focal point - such as breath, a body part, a mental image etc. There are various other ways too - and you will probably just get a 'feel' for letting the infant thought processes pass you by. Using a focal point just helps when starting out, as it allows more easily to observe when thought is being diverted from its primary goal (the focal point).

But if you enjoy the process, I think soon you'll discover many subtleties regarding your thoughtspace, and from there you could possibly redesign the practice to suit yourself, and what it is you'd like to get from it. I think sometimes people get too rigid with their opinions on what meditation should be...and forget that, like with most things - change and adaptation is good for promoting growth.

+Quote Post
kikai93
post Dec 16, 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 33312

Secular Meditation:

1) Learn to sit still. Get in a position and learn to remain in it without moving. No twitches or reseating yourself.
2) Learn to breath right. Your breathing should be easy, rhythmic, and unhurried. Try breathing in to a count of four, holding to a count of four, exhaling to a count of four, hold to a count of four, repeat until you do it without thinking about it.
3) Learn to focus. Put an object in your mind. It should be simple and uncharged. Red triangle. Yellow circle. Hold it in your mind without distorting it or thinking about anything else as long as possible.
4) Stop thinking. Let everything flow through you.

Success in each exercise is represented by an hour or more of uninterrupted practice.
+Quote Post
lamarkia
post Dec 18, 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 33315

Vertigo,
I may be able to help point you in a new direction. As you know, meditation and prayer are religious methods of obtaining contact with a higher being or transcendent state of consciousness. Secular approaches have been helpful to people who want to try that route. Post here is you want more information.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 08:09 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles