> Simultaneous thoughts?
Hey Hey
post May 26, 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #61

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 845

QUOTE (Rick @ May 26, 12:03 AM)
If procreation and life are good, then wouldn't they be better without deception?

just part of the battle for a mate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 26, 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #62

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

They say that all's fair in love and war.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 26, 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #63

Supreme God

Member No.: 3202

But, do you lie to your mates? Is there such thing as small lies? "

No honey, you don't look fat in that dress."
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 26, 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #64

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Your punishment for being truthful is not getting laid.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 26, 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #65

Supreme God

lol

no doubt!

....and is there punisment for lying, i.e cognitive functioning (psychological) or when you meet your maker and have to attone for your discretions?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 26, 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #66

Supreme God

In those situations is there not a way of being truthful without being hurtful and avoid any future repercussions?
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 27, 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #67

Supreme God

unfortunately can't meet my maker(s) as they have both passed away. did their job and then nature moved them on. won't it be terrible when the human lifespan is extended to hundreds or thousands of years (and maybe more) - especially if there is no expanded consciousness or simultaneous thinking. evolution didn't make plans for that. I suppose when we crack the light speed problem there will a way to get around the overcrowding. in the meantime I imagine there will a longevity class system. bill gates's relatives should be OK though.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jun 30, 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #68

Supreme God

The reason talking on a cell phone makes drivers less safe may be that the brain can't simultaneously give full attention to both the visual task of driving and the auditory task of listening, a study by a Johns Hopkins University psychologist suggests. The study, published in a recent issue of "The Journal of Neuroscience," reinforces earlier behavioral research on the danger of mixing mobile phones and motoring.

"Our research helps explain why talking on a cell phone can impair driving performance, even when the driver is using a hands-free device," said Steven Yantis, a professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences in the university's Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences.

"The reason?" he said. "Directing attention to listening effectively 'turns down the volume' on input to the visual parts of the brain. The evidence we have right now strongly suggests that attention is strictly limited -- a zero-sum game. When attention is deployed to one modality -- say, in this case, talking on a cell phone -- it necessarily extracts a cost on another modality -- in this case, the visual task of driving."

Yantis's chief collaborator on this research project was Sarah Shomstein, who was a doctoral candidate at Johns Hopkins. Shomstein is now a post-doctoral fellow at Carnegie-Mellon University.

Though the results of Yantis' research can be applied to the real world problem of drivers and their cell phones, that was not directly what the professor and his team studied. Instead, healthy young adults ages 19 to 35 were brought into a neuroimaging lab and asked to view a computer display while listening to voices over headphones. They watched a rapidly changing display of multiple letters and digits, while listening to three voices speaking letters and digits at the same time. The purpose was to simulate the cluttered visual and auditory input people deal with every day.

Using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), Yantis and his team recorded brain activity during each of these tasks. They found that when the subjects directed their attention to visual tasks, the auditory parts of their brain recorded decreased activity, and vice versa.

Yantis' team also examined the parts of the brain that control shifts of attention. They discovered that when a person was instructed to move his attention from vision to hearing, for instance, the brain's parietal cortex and the prefrontal cortex produced a burst of activity that the researchers interpreted as a signal to initiate the shift of attention. This surprised them, because it has previously been thought that those parts of the brain were involved only in visual functions.

"Ultimately, we want to understand the connection between voluntary acts of the will (for instance, a choice to shift attention from vision to hearing), changes in brain activity (reflecting both the initiation of cognitive control and the effects of that control), and resultant changes in the performance of a task, such as driving," Yantis said. "By advancing our understanding of the connection between mind, brain and behavior, this research may help in the design of complex devices – such as airliner cockpits – and may help in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders such as ADHD or schizophrenia."

This type of work also informs debates about the safety of mobile phone use while driving. It suggests that when attention is focused on listening, vision is affected even at very early stages of visual perception. A paper describing the research appeared in the Nov. 24, 2004, issue of the Journal of Neuroscience (10702-10706).

###

Lde@jhu.edu
443-287-9960
Johns Hopkins University
+Quote Post
VietSteve
post Jul 08, 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 4456

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 11, 08:23 PM)
Some key points of interest!

Let these thoughts perculate and see if your mind makes any leaps across previously uncrossible chasms!

Bucke, Richard Maurice (1901). Cosmic Consciousness. New York: Innes & Sons.

Cosmic Consciousness (1901) – Richard Maurice Bucke, M.D.

Minds do vary in complexity between animals, but consciousness does not vary, to treat it as though it can make it into some unnecessary new metaphysical realm.

Minds do vary in complexity between animals, but consciousness does not vary, to treat it as though it can make it into some unnecessary new metaphysical realm. .

+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jul 08, 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #70

Supreme God

I'm still practicing, but no luck yet.
+Quote Post
daveca
post Oct 22, 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 33168

I think so. I have been starting small. math problems at the same time. I felt different, better, after I got good at it. Once i even had a little panic attack. Now im very good. I think I'm going to try 3 at a time. I just wanted to see others techniques.
+Quote Post
kamiobarbosa
post Dec 22, 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 33323

Fine. Why do you think this is? One could imagine that having more than one conscious thought (or process) by the same individual consciousness confers advantages. Maybe evolution tried this and then discarded it, or maybe it hasn't turned up yet, after all our brains/minds haven't been around that long, in evolutionary terms. We can have unconscious and conscious activities simultaneously so why not multiple conscious activities? Also, what does split brain say about the nature/location of consciousness
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Dec 23, 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #73

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

QUOTE(kamiobarbosa @ Dec 22, 2010, 11:11 AM) *

what does split brain say about the nature/location of consciousness

Brainspeak
+Quote Post
Christsean
post Feb 08, 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #74

Aspiring

Member No.: 33398

It is possible to think about a topic while carrying on unconscious processes. A good example is driving. The brain is highly efficient at processing loads of information unconsciously and keeping us between the mayonaise and the mustard (white line/yellow line) and out from under the 18 wheeler that just slammed on brakes in front of us or that fella that just pulled out in front of me and is going 25mph below the speed limit. But the more mental attention that is required the less focus we have on the road. Conscious thought is a single process/idea that can be entertained while the brain carries on unconscious activities. But to carry on two actual thoughts/ideas at the same exact time without switching back and forth between the thoughts is impossible in most humans. There are a few people who can answer a complicated math problem while drawing a masterpiece, but this is very, very rare. I'm not sure if you could train your brain to even begin to accomplish this. Most of us can switch back and forth very efficiently between several thoughts/ideas, but never carry them on simultaneously.
+Quote Post
Christsean
post Feb 09, 2011, 04:51 AM
Post #75

Aspiring

Member No.: 33398

I would like to rethink my last statement. This morning as I was praying I had an overlapping/simultaneous thought. It was very bizarre. They were both being processed at the exact same time. Not sure if I could do it purposely. The thought was very powerful and infiltrated the prayer. It was a thought that had the power of anxious worry to take over the number one spot of my attention, but I continued in my prayer. Not sure if it's because I am taking Racetams or not.
+Quote Post
Encunseseda
post Jun 20, 2011, 04:50 AM
Post #76

Unregistered

I like! wink.gif
+Quote Post
IdentitytheKeystone
post Jul 01, 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #77

Unregistered

QUOTE(LV Sale @ Jun 28, 2011, 12:35 AM) *

I advise to you. Louis vuitton bags , How so? I am sorry, that has interfered... This situation is familiar To me. Let's discuss. Write here or in PM. Actually. You will not prompt to me, where I can find more information on this question? I have removed this phrase

Exscuse me. I am intruding to present a simple question - What if you had two thoughts in different parts of the brain that were the seme ? My answer is that each thought would confirm the other, in the manner of reciprocal validation. The two thoughts would them form an island of relative certainty in the brain. So I am suggesting that consciousness is clear organized thought which happens when multiple similar or near identical thoughts are apprehended at the same time. You have to admit such an episode would be attention grabbing in the brain.

I suggest that rather than contemplate the coexistence of different thoughts, it is more interesting to contemplate the coexistence of similar or identical thoughts.

I have a blog page - consciousnessthroughidentity.

Thank you for reading.
+Quote Post
Noggnboggn
post Oct 11, 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 39166

Don't kno exactly if I will receive feed back from what I am saying but I manipulate others and read vibes and expressions all at once adding up the outcome of each word I am going to say with what tone of voice leading into loop hole questions to where I can ease there minds into following my ideas and decisions, I can't help myself but to study everyone and everything as well as myself, I honestly do believe I have multiple thoughts overlapping each other on a regular basis exceeding to the point to where I'm picking out the clear ones my brain at times litteraly feels to be on fire, sometimes it gets to the point to where's it's comparable to chanting groups it is most definitely overlapping thoughts while running concurrent with each other,,,,.... (I would like to lead away from this with a off topic question because everyone has opinions beliefs and facts from study's)))................I can control my pupil's size shrinking it and growing it whether or not if you hold a bright flash light to my eye then take it away or if I even keep them open because after closing and opening them they refocus, question= is this abnormal or highly possible with too much time on your hands could this be a health risk!??.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Oct 12, 2017, 06:22 AM
Post #79

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

A person can believe what they think, yet in the face of reflection where others can have their own thoughts, those others can and will have a completely different experience.

Dude.. if you think the same way you write, where a sentence runs on to fill a page, I can see where you would fall into your thoughts and become them.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:13 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles