Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Simultaneous thoughts?
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #31

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 3202

It's more of an analogy than it is an objective fact!

Thought at the speed of light, that is.

I do love illusions though, as long as they are not delusional illusions that cause cognitive contusions.

I aim to employ illusions only to push the boundaries of cognitive thought.

Provoke and evoke questions regarding reality, both subjectively and objectively.

They are a great tool when used correctly and in the right atmosphere.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #32

Supreme God

BTW, What is the speed range, in order of magnitude, of thought, when neurons are firing?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #33

Supreme God

That synaptic spark feels, to me, to occur rather quickly, all the while paradoxically seeming to occur in slow motion.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #34

Supreme God

QUOTE (Rick @ May 17, 03:40 PM)
Don't deal in illusions.

'Don't' sounds so dictatorial Rick. Your not a dictator, per say, are you Rick? I thought you were a teacher of some sort, correct? Is their a specific pedagogical philosophy that you adhere to and practice in the educational system that you are employed under? Personally, a sentence staring with 'don't' turns my brain off almost instantaneously, almost at the speed of light.

Maybe that's the way of the good ole US of A?

Dictatorship, just done alot smoother and under the radar than when it was tried in the past by other failed regimes.

The USA will fail and fall some day, and as a biproduct of that nation, so will you and your ways.

It's inevitable, history 'dictates' that it (and as a result you) will, but you never know right, because the future just ain't what it used to be.

How does it feel to have your country hated and targeted by so many people from numerous different countries all over the globe?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #35

Supreme God

QUOTE (Hey Hey @ May 13, 12:55 PM)
It is quite common for wishful thinking to displace reality.

Is it really, Hey Hey?

OK, maybe I am starting to sound too clinical.
+Quote Post
Unknown
post May 17, 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #36

Unregistered

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 17, 01:51 PM)

How does it feel to have your country hated and targeted by so many people from numerous different countries all over the globe?

it's flattering that we're the envy of the world
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 17, 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #37

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

So you are sensitive too Don, eh? But don't let's do a RtB. Rather let's stick to the question. And wrt the topic being covered before, not being psychic and not having too much time on my hands, I didn't search the forum for previous threads. If it has been covered before, then it can't have been adequate, or a reasonable response might have popped up here already.

And why would you want to insult the whole USA for points/comments raised by one citizen? Again I am embarrased that USAism has shown its ugly head. Rule Brittania doesn't cut it any more for we ordinary citizens and we ought to be making friends not enemies in these dangerous times. Rick usually makes sensible and objective points. We don't have to agree with him but we SHOULD offer some respect.

I am disappointed that no-one can suggest a truely scientific approach to the question or point to some decent literature, rather than some New Age meaderings. I think that the notion of simultaneous conscious thoughts could be a serious topic for study to seek ways of achieving it and then enhancing it.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 17, 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #38

Supreme God

ps, if simultaneous conscious thought is not possible, why is this?
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 17, 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #39

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 17, 02:41 PM)
BTW, What is the speed range, in order of magnitude, of thought, when neurons are firing?

Three concepts per second. --Leary
+Quote Post
merhymer
post May 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #40

Unregistered

QUOTE (Hey Hey @ May 17, 02:47 PM)
ps, if simultaneous conscious thought is not possible, why is this?

Not withstanding the possibility that simultaneous thoughts may be possible, I suspect a good analogy that could explain their non-existence in humans would be the difference between a single processor computer and a parallel processor computer.

Whatever and wherever our thinker is (surely as part of the brain), we have only one of them!

It can cope with several topics in a time-division multiplexed sort of way, but not two independent concepts at the same instant - for that you need two people!
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 17, 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #41

Supreme God

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 17, 02:51 PM)
'Don't' sounds so dictatorial Rick.

Sorry. Perhaps I've been a bit testy because I can't log out. It was merely a suggestion to avoid confusion. Others might take some of your metaphors literally. My visited posts are still showing unvisited too. Are you experiencing any of these difficulties?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #42

Supreme God

It's been doing that for a while now, so I figured it was a program glitch, so I eventually got used to it and mentally avoided it's objective fact, 'simultaneously' being aware of it....
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #43

Supreme God

QUOTE (Rick @ May 17, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 17, 02:41 PM)

Three concepts per second. --Leary

Interesting indeed, thanks for the arrow.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #44

Supreme God

QUOTE (Hey Hey @ May 17, 05:45 PM)
And why would you want to insult the whole USA for points/comments raised by one citizen? Again I am embarrased that USAism has shown its ugly head.

You, too do, make me chuckle to myself heartely Hey Hey.

Typical Brit, so hot tempered and quick for a fight. I had a lot of British buddies out in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so I'm speaking of experience. Although, these ones did drink quite alot and consumed alot of drugs, but that don't sound very British-like does it, withe a sovergn Queen and all? (phucking hooligans, especially when soccer is involved, eh Hey?)

Such a stereotype, eh? Espescially out of an eskimo, from the great white north living in an igloo.

Canada, the true north strong and free, eh!

But wait, now I'm pulling an Enki!

Weird!

Hey Hey, I am starting to believe that you have something against Canadians?

Hey, Your Queen Elizabeth is arriving here next week, and am I ever excited, wink wink

Saskatchewan, I do believe. Poor girl, a week in Sask.

P.S.

Don't have a cow man!
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #45

Supreme God

QUOTE (Unknown @ May 17, 05:26 PM)

it's flattering that we're the envy of the world

Yes, I too have more of a like than dislike for my giant of a neighbor, the USA.

We have a sort of mutual respect between nations, and I'm for the machine (not a controlling machine), not against it.

Just shaking the tree and seeing which nuts fall out.
+Quote Post
Dan
post May 17, 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #46

God

Member No.: 96

it feels like watching irony before it happens
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #47

Supreme God

How do you mean, Dan?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #48

Supreme God

QUOTE (Rick @ May 17, 03:40 PM)
Neural speed is orders of magnitude slower than light speed. Don't deal in illusions.

I was thinking about this while pumping iron, and I starting thinking about the illusions that we all employ as an objective fact of life. The way you dress, the colour of your shirt, the way you talk, the words you speak, the innontations that you deliver with and without speech, the cut of your hair, the stare of an eye, a gestur, a motion etc. at every level. Illusions employed as a tool of interaction between the subjective internal neural network to the external objective we-like world. Of course genetics plays a role and the community does as well, to an extent, however we do have the freedom of choice, in most liberated countries of this planet.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 17, 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #49

Supreme God

I think that the notion of simultaneous conscious thoughts could be a serious topic for study to seek ways of achieving it and then enhancing it.

....and

I absolutetly fabulously agree.
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 18, 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #50

Supreme God

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 17, 05:51 PM)
... the illusions that we all employ as an objective fact of life. The way you dress, the colour of your shirt, the way you talk, the words you speak, the innontations that you deliver with and without speech, the cut of your hair, the stare of an eye, a gestur, a motion etc. at every level.

Some images are illusory by intention, some by accident, and some are true.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #51

Supreme God

Definetely right there Rick, we can't control every aspect of what others perceive of us.

Having lived in many different locals across Canada, I've come to realize that every community emphasizes different values across the board.

Although you are perceived as such in one place, you are perceived differently in another. It's quite fascinating actually.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 19, 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #52

Supreme God

How about simultaneous thinking between you and your doppelgangers in other parallel universes?
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 19, 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #53

Supreme God

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 19, 03:56 AM)
How about simultaneous thinking between you and your doppelgangers in other parallel universes?

There are no other parallel universes. If we could communicate with or observe one, it would be part of this one by definition. If we can't communicate with or observe one, there is no way to demonstrate it exists, and therefore isn't worth talking about.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 20, 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #54

Supreme God

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa...EA5809EC5880000

Well, they're not just a staple of science fiction! Other universes are a direct implication of cosmological observations.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 20, 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #55

Supreme God

The most pop. cosmological model today predicts that you have a twin in a galaxy about 10^10^28 meters from here.

The hubble volume is now about 4x10^26 meters away.

The universes of your doppelgangers are speres of the same size centered on their planets.

Each universe is merely a small part of a larger multiverse.

Fronteirs of physics have gradually expanded to incorporate ever more abstract (and once metaphysical) concepts such as a round Earth, invisible electromagnetic feilds, curved space, and black holes, and over the last several years the concept of a multiverse has joined this list.

It is grounded in well-tested theories such as relativity and quantum mechanics, and fulfills both of the basic criteria of an empirical science: it makes predictions, and it can be falsified.

scientists have discussed as many as four distinct types of parallel universes. The question is not whether the multiverse exists but rather how many levels it has.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 22, 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #56

Supreme God

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 18, 01:16 AM)
And why would you want to insult the whole USA for points/comments raised by one citizen? Again I am embarrased that USAism has shown its ugly head.

You, too do, make me chuckle to myself heartely Hey Hey.

Typical Brit, so hot tempered and quick for a fight. I had a lot of British buddies out in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so I'm speaking of experience. Although, these ones did drink quite alot and consumed alot of drugs, but that don't sound very British-like does it, withe a sovergn Queen and all? (phucking hooligans, especially when soccer is involved, eh Hey?)

Such a stereotype, eh? Espescially out of an eskimo, from the great white north living in an igloo.

Canada, the true north strong and free, eh!

But wait, now I'm pulling an Enki!

Weird!

Hey Hey, I am starting to believe that you have something against Canadians?

Hey, Your Queen Elizabeth is arriving here next week, and am I ever excited, wink wink

Saskatchewan, I do believe. Poor girl, a week in Sask.

P.S.

Don't have a cow man!

What's football?

When did I say I was a Brit?

Not quick off the mark; just notice when isms occur. Also used to treading on undergraduate-like inadequates so that the interesting stuff can restart.

OK, I drink quite a lot. I just like my tea, that's all. And yep, I take four drugs each day.

Queen - I have no interest in historical class systems but I have to admit to admiring Robin Hood.

Igloos are OK for the Ig's. I prefer the warmer weather.

My first PhD student was from New Scotland - big cars and lots of snow. (And no good whiskeys - but I'm prepared to try any you can recommend....and send).

I'm done Don. Did it drinking tea whilst whistling, spinning my chair and thinking about the next poem. Spilt tea on my desk, choked and fell from the chair. I was very dizzy and the poem was crap.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post May 23, 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #57

Supreme God

QUOTE (Rick @ May 18, 02:31 PM)
... the illusions that we all employ as an objective fact of life.  The way you dress, the colour of your shirt, the way you talk, the words you speak, the innontations that you deliver with and without speech, the cut of your hair, the stare of an eye, a gestur, a motion etc. at every level.

....We engage in myriad forms of nonverbal deception, too: we use makeup, hairpieces, cosmetic surgery, clothing and other forms of adornment to disguise our true appearance, and we apply artificial fragrances to misrepresent our body odors. We cry crocodile tears, fake orgasms and flash phony "have a nice day" smiles. Out-and-out verbal lies are just a small part of the vast tapestry of human deceit....
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 25, 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #58

Supreme God

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ May 23, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (Rick @ May 18, 02:31 PM)
... the illusions that we all employ as an objective fact of life.  The way you dress, the colour of your shirt, the way you talk, the words you speak, the innontations that you deliver with and without speech, the cut of your hair, the stare of an eye, a gestur, a motion etc. at every level.

....We engage in myriad forms of nonverbal deception, too: we use makeup, hairpieces, cosmetic surgery, clothing and other forms of adornment to disguise our true appearance, and we apply artificial fragrances to misrepresent our body odors. We cry crocodile tears, fake orgasms and flash phony "have a nice day" smiles. Out-and-out verbal lies are just a small part of the vast tapestry of human deceit....

it's called procreation.

and it's simultaneous (pun intended) with life.
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 25, 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #59

Supreme God

If procreation and life are good, then wouldn't they be better without deception?
+Quote Post
Unknown
post May 25, 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #60

Unregistered

Maybe, but according to this article, we as a collective society engage in it regularly and enjoy it.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles