Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Ching(Book of Changes)
Golden Turtle
post Jan 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 16670

Does anyone else study the I Ching? I am just starting to. It is said to be one of the oldest and wisest books to come out of China, and has been highly influential in the writing of Sun Tzu's- The Art of War, and many other Taoist classics. Confucious was supposed to have said"If there was one thing I would have done differently in my life; I would have studied the I Ching more."

Any insights?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jan 30, 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 5681

Only that the number 8 is revered in the East and the I-Ching is 64 unique hexagrams. The patterns are made of full and broken lines, and each hexagram has a meaning in regards to changes in time. Terrence McKenna built a whole theory and software application which showed that time was fractal and that this was essentially what the I-Ching was about. He was shown to have made some errors in his calculations, and he welcomed being wrong because that gave him the ability to refine his idea. Although way out there, his ideas are still quite engaging.

As for the I-Ching, I think wanting to find mystery and some 'secret' that only you have managed to decode, is partly the reason for a lot of the crazy ideas floating around. I'd love to know more about it though, I've not studied it directly.
+Quote Post
Golden Turtle
post Feb 02, 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #3

Here is a pretty good overview at wikapedia

Maybe Confucious didn't say that after all.
+Quote Post
Golden Turtle
post Feb 19, 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Jan 30, 2008, 12:41 AM) *

As for the I-Ching, I think wanting to find mystery and some 'secret' that only you have managed to decode, is partly the reason for a lot of the crazy ideas floating around. I'd love to know more about it though, I've not studied it directly.

Most likely, but I think I Ching is mostly offered as a map, or guide instead of a key. A guide that may show you the way to secrets about yourself in the changing times. A way to respond more appropriately to changes inside, and outside yourself. That's my current perception.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

How about a method, similar to a divining rod that resonates to a prominent condition.
My Teacher loved the I Ching and used it to verify his intuitive insights to probable realities.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Feb 26, 2008, 03:00 AM
Post #6

God

I'd like to hear more about it if possible Joe. Its an interesting concept, and one that the late Terrence McKenna put a lot weight upon, to the point of creating his own disproven theory on the fractal nature of time based on the I-Ching.

To me though it seems more like a philosophy and symbology system, with a drive to connect to the raw psyche of the individual, just like the Tarot it seems its simply a self-reflection tool.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Supreme God

If the vibratory nature of the manifest universe can be listened to, or if one could tune into it, then one could by intuition connect to certain repetitive frequency changes and constants.
Similar to the way scientists predict weather by systems of measure that relate to variables in air temp, pressure and humidity, psychic resonance can be tuned to sensitize ones self to the fluctuations in the vibrational changes in surrounding matter. It has currents of direction and fluctuations in desire and emotional content.
The I Ching is based on a Science of Universal cause and effect, change and its constants.
The school of thought is that intention and action create waves of vibrational frequencies that have an effect on surrounding structures of molecular design. In other words nothing happens by accident but rather everything happens by design and is a result of conscious choice.
Conscious in this case meaning intelligent forces, but not always are these forces conscious in the awareness of human sensory perception because the senses are often trained to perceive a more gross level of reality based on measuring devices that are created from gross levels of understanding.

There is a question that is posed over and over in the Yoga Vasishta: If a crow lands on a coconut tree and a coconut falls, did the crow dislodge the coconut from the tree or did the crow land at the exact moment when the coconut had ripened and in its predestined nature dislodge itself from the tree?
Spiritual sciences maintain that there is a relationship between consciousness or intelligence and the creation and maintenance of creation as well as change and destruction. In Eastern philosophy these forces are called the Gunas, Sattva, Tamas and Rajas. They are represented by the yin and the yang.
The symbol contains the darker area which represents Tamas guna or the forces of destruction. The lighter area represents Sattva guna, the forces of creation. Note that both have a small dot in the field of potential, a small amount of Tamas in Sattva and a small amount of Sattva in Tamas, this is because in duality or the field of the manifest there is always some of the opposite within the design of anything that is not an absolute. The circle and the line between the two fields of potential represents Rajas, the intelligent action or consciousness in activity, or God, or Love, the force of nature which bind creation and destruction together to create and support a manifestation of thought and desire. The circle around the forces represent the manifestation of thought into matter and the tension (the line between the two fields of potential) moves the two fields of potential into activity creating movement or change.
These gunas and fields of potential are also represented in the Aum/Amen symbol The three gunas are the points to the left of what looks like a backwards E, where they meet to the right they create the manifest which flows outward and the line with the dot above represent consciousness or the seat of God in the absolute.
In Western spiritual sciences these forces are represented by the cross. The vertical staff represents the male or stable presence of God in support of all things, the horizontal bar represents the feminine or the manifestation of creation, and the center where they meet the bindhu point where the absolute or the unmanifest potential meets conscious activity and the manifest.

Eastern and Western astrologers measure cosmic forces in the surrounding universe by using planetary alignment, constellations, place and time of birth for the predictions of the prevailing winds in an individuals path of evolution.

The I Ching taps into the prevailing winds of change with a method of spiritually and scientifically deduced methods of recognition to predict probable realities, based on repeatable recognized patterns within the manifest universe.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Feb 27, 2008, 05:53 AM
Post #8

God

The I Ching taps into the prevailing winds of change with a method of spiritually and scientifically deduced methods of recognition to predict probable realities, based on repeatable recognized patterns within the manifest universe.
I agree thats what it does, but how can it be called scientific? The significance and time window of a 'reading' is left entirely to the enterpreter.

I also believe the cross to be a bastardised version of the Ankh, as do many others. After all the Christian religion migrated straight out of Egyptian rule, and biologically our origins are from African descendants. What do you think on this matter? It makes historical sense.

What I was actually asking was how your teacher used the I-Ching in his teachings and to understand his own spiritual beliefs?
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #9

Supreme God

He used it in conjunction with his intuitive senses and the science of Yoga.

I think there are many ways to symbolize the forces of nature, I don't think anyone needs to claim the perfect symbol or that any perspective of the same intelligence is greater when directly tapped into the nature of reality.

You think we are descendants of African Origin. I think civilization has risen and fallen many times on this planet and the origin of humanity precedes the birth of this planet.
Some say Egyptians were ignorant peasants until the survivors of Atlantis arrived with their science and religion.
I also think there are civilizations that exist on other planets in other galaxies and that they too symbolize the intelligent forces of nature in their own way.
I also think that man will continue to discover themselves and their relationship to the natural intelligence that abides in the nature of relative matter and human will, and by their own cognitive abilities symbolize their experiences in writings and discourses.
As a child discovers the world that has existed and has been experienced by the parent, it is the parents duty to lead the child to their own experience rather than to force the beliefs and symbols of their own experience onto the child. Wisdom exists to lead one beyond limitations rather than to impose the limitations and restrictions of ones own personal reality. As such few can lead another beyond their own limitations, if they insist the child accept their way and beliefs.

Personally I don't believe any one person or groups of civilized persons has a greater ability to recognize the intelligent forces of nature, tho I do know from my own experience that some utilize their abilities better than others.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Feb 28, 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #10

God

You think we are descendants of African Origin. I think civilization has risen and fallen many times on this planet and the origin of humanity precedes the birth of this planet.
This is an easily defended stance on the topic, but I'll go ahead anyway smile.gif If the origin of humanity precedes our life on this planet, then did we just happen to bring all the animals with us on a 'space ark'? If not and we arrived in our current forms then what happened to the higher primates - did they devolve rather than us evolve? Maybe your views are more geared towards panspermia and the Earth being seeded by a comet/asteroid. If this is your belief then I 'd like to point out that only mushroom spores can spread through space for aeons without any trouble.
Some say Egyptians were ignorant peasants until the survivors of Atlantis arrived with their science and religion.
Some also say that Egypt and Americas had no contact at all, despite cocaine (south american export) being found in the Pharoahs. The civilisations of South America, particularly Peru, were equally impressive and organised at the same time the Egyptian civilisation arose. Same story in China/India, no Atlanteans required.
I also think there are civilizations that exist on other planets in other galaxies and that they too symbolize the intelligent forces of nature in their own way.
I agree, and I only hope that we can meet and become friends rather than trying to eradicate each other like a pest. The seed of life is everywhere, I don't have any doubts that the line we draw around 'life' is a mental construct because the same process is going on everywhere and it arises from materials we currently classify as non-living.

Do you think that life on a similar planet would resemble life here?
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Feb 28, 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #11

Supreme God

If the origin of humanity precedes our life on this planet, then did we just happen to bring all the animals with us on a 'space ark'?
I hear they can clone animals these days, I wonder how long they can keep DNA before it goes bad..
If not and we arrived in our current forms then what happened to the higher primates - did they devolve rather than us evolve?
It would appear from fossils that have been found that there were certain species of animals that don't exist anymore.
I wonder if its possible that life forms have existed without leaving any trace of their existence, or any trace that is observable by current technology and conscious development. I also wonder if its possible for humans to devolve. If there were to be a crisis or war that wiped out much of the human race and its technology, would man be able to survive without tools he had become dependent on. Would man rediscover what was lost in knowledge and technology and would it develop in exactly the same way.?

Some also say that Egypt and Americas had no contact at all, despite cocaine (south american export) being found in the Pharoahs. The civilisations of South America, particularly Peru, were equally impressive and organised at the same time the Egyptian civilisation arose. Same story in China/India, no Atlanteans required.

Some say survivors of Atlantis are responsible for the impressive civilizations in Peru, China and India.

Do you think that life on a similar planet would resemble life here?

I think it could but I also think that the intelligence of the universe has a sense of humor and of balance. I doubt it would be exactly the same. I think it can be envisioned as being whatever you can imagine, possibly even beyond the imagination of some, and as many ideas as one could design there can be just as many probable realities as could be imagined.
+Quote Post
Zizius
post Aug 23, 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 26494

I will now throw a hexagram to further tap into the intuitive knowledge regarding BrainMeta.com conversations, and the topic of the I Ching using Brian Browne Walkers translation.

_____9
_____7
__ __8 Wind
_____7
__ __8
_____7 Fire

CHIA JEN/ THE FAMILY(THE CLAN)

A healthy family, a healthy country, a healthy world-all grow outward from a single superior person.

The hexagram Chia Jen concerns the proper foundations of human communities. The I Ching teaches that all clans must have a superior person at their center if they are to prosper and succeed. Therefore, in order to improve our family, company, nation, or world community, we must begin by improving ourselves.
If you observe healthy families you will always see present in them three qualities: love, faithfulness, and correctness. When we truly love others, we are naturally kind, gentle and patient with them. When we are faithful to others, we place proper principles and conduct above temporary influences like anger, desire, or greed. And when we practice correctness, we spiritually nourish ourselves and all those around us. When all three qualities are cultivated, a healthy clan springs into being.
The difference between paying lip service to these ideals and practicing them is profound. If you advocate high ideals and actions to others but do not embody them yourself, your influence will disintegrate for lack of a proper foundation. Therefore, in order to inspire superior qualities in others, you must first instill them in yourself.
Concentrate not on influencing others or external events but upon strengthening your inner devotion to proper principles. When modesty, acceptance, equanimity, and gentleness become deeply ingrained in your character, they will flow steadily outward from you. Soon you will find yourself enmeshed in a web of healthy relationships, and in this there is good fortune.

Line 6. If you are resolutely correct in thought as well as action, there will be good fortune. The power of inner truth and goodness draws others and the Creative to our side.

__ __Changes
_____7
__ __8 Water
_____7
__ __8
_____7 Fire

CHI CHI/ AFTER COMPLETION

Good fortune unfolds for those who remain on guard against inferior influences.

This hexagram indicates that the movement from chaos to order is complete. The time is extremely favorable and you are likely to enjoy much success as long as you heed the warning of Chi Chi: remain on guard against inferior thoughts, attitudes, and actions, both in yourself and in others.
We arrive in the path of beneficial situations by following the path of correct conduct. When we have achieved success or are close to it, it is in our nature to want to relax and allow the ego to bask in glory. If you resort to this sort of carelessness now you will undo all that you have worked to build. It is important not to become indifferent to spiritual details at this time: if a thought or action even borders on incorrectness, discard it and return to the path of the sage immediately. One minute we dip our toes in incorrectness, the next we are swimming in it, and the next we drown. Therefore it is wiser to simply keep our toes dry in the first place.
You are also counseled to remain alert to the inferior influences of others. You can only prevent misfortunes by anticipating them in advance, and this is achieved through watchfulness.
The image of Chi Chi is that of a kettle of water boiling over a fire. There is great power here, but it is lost if one allows the water to boil over or evaporate through carelessness and indifference. Alertness and conscientious adherence to what is correct are called for if you wish to prolong your good fortune now.

The second hexagram is read to further illuminate the first.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles