BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cognitive remediation, need help on cognitive remediation after ptsd .
ikop
post Aug 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34429

Hello.
I am hoping it is the correct place to ask this qustion and somone has some info .
Ptsd =Posttraumatic stress disorder - is a severe anxiety/brain disorder that can develop after after a traumatic event like war, assault, or disaster.
I got it 2 years ago.
not many people know , but ptsd usually "gives" you cognitive dysfunction simmilr to brain injury .
Ussualy the arias are atention , short term and long term memory and much more .

I got it . my main problems are

1) verbal memory - forgeting words - some mild dyslexia .
2)visual and auditory slow processing speed -when i see or hear somthing it takes me(my brain) more time to process the info - makes a lot of difficulties in life.

3) decision makinng problem - not a normal life decision like what to work to choose - or what kind of shampo to buy - but a movement decision deficit - when i am doing normal stuff . like making food ,, typing the keyboard and etc - i need to "say" , kind of command myself mechanicly in order to do stuff.
to press this button with the left hand , or reach for a glass with the right hand and etc. it is very difficult do explain and more difficult do belive me , but the best explantion that i have ( i did brain spect scan) and my neurologist supports it , that i have some problems in an aria called caudate nucleus - which fucntion partly as a decision-making center, mostly when the alternative are ambiguous and the decision is fast.
it turns out that when we do somthing - with our hand for example the process includes many fast decisions.
We even dont think about it , because it is an automatic process that dont need cognitive thiknig - probably this aria "caudae nucleous" suppress the thinking , and choose for us randomaly . if it is not working at all we will be not able to choose between 2 alternatives when there is no preference to one. that what is happeing in
motor movements. (a lots of randomaly decions).

well the spect says my caude nucleus has slow perfusion - hypo perfusion .
and i have some perfusion problems in temporal lobe as well .

mri or ct -says evrthing is "ok " no damge, only the spect found problems (bllod Perfusion in some arias is slow ) that could explain my problems .

well my question is what can be done ?
maybe thrugh brain tarining with some "cognetive remidiation" computer games ?
or more specific exercies that could improve temporal love functioning ?
maybe with some chimicals ? nootropics ?

I have to say that my general intelligence , logic is normal . math is normal , reading is normal .
the problems are "real" not psychological "you must to belive me .
the neurologists i talked with, dont know what can be done to help me .
But i belive (or hope) that the brain can change and get back to normal , maybe not 100% but some improvements are must be possible with some kind of intervention.

if you can help with some advise , it would be good.

thank you .

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Aug 12, 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #2

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

Hi ikop!
Have you already tried any Cognitive-behavioral therapy?
I really think your best bet is to find a Cognitive-behavioral therapist specialized in Ptsd.
+Quote Post
ikop
post Aug 12, 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Jakare @ Aug 12, 2012, 12:34 PM) *

Hi ikop!
Have you already tried any Cognitive-behavioral therapy?
I really think your best bet is to find a Cognitive-behavioral therapist specialized in Ptsd.

yes i tried cbt , and all kind of drugs and therapies , none of them helped
+Quote Post
ikop
post Aug 13, 2012, 05:20 AM
Post #4

Guys !
ireally need some help here .
it can be some nootropics that has the abillity to increse blood flow within the temporal areian of the brain , or some devices , or some brain fitness based on computers software .
The problmes that i cannot expect tne neurologist's opinion that thothing can't be done - because i cannot fonction right now because of those problems .

Here is my spcet resuts .
if it can help you .

i am translationg this from hebrew :

1 perfusion defects at the orbitofrontal cortex -both sides
2 Dorsomedial area defects (foront from right)
3 dorso letheral defect (front form left )
4 medial aspect of the temporal lobe defect
5 temporal lateral from left defect
6 Occipital lobe from rgiht defect .
7) hypo perfsuion defect in the caude nucleous from left .

mri and ct , sayus all ok...

cortisol levels are the the highest point of "acceptable limits ".

maybe this info would give you some idias what can be done to normazlize or even improve somthing.

thanks in regards.
+Quote Post
ikop
post Aug 31, 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #5

Iam not asking for cure, only some advide anthing.
please.
this shit is ruing my life.
notropics , exercise, computor games of barain taring , anything . justnot lughing please. i am despirate for some cahnge .
it i 2.5 year of isoltaio .
practical advide plz (not cbt or psychologal . ) and try to base it one some sciantific thoughs .

thanks
+Quote Post
mban
post Sep 01, 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 33929

QUOTE(ikop @ Aug 31, 2012, 09:46 PM) *

Iam not asking for cure, only some advide anthing.
please.
this shit is ruing my life.
notropics , exercise, computor games of barain taring , anything . justnot lughing please. i am despirate for some cahnge .
it i 2.5 year of isoltaio .
practical advide plz (not cbt or psychologal . ) and try to base it one some sciantific thoughs .

thanks

Hi ikop,

I will go through some things that you can do in each category:

Behavioral: Best to do CBT, or see a psychologist if at all possible.. If this is not available, there is a current treatment that has come out in the past while involving eye movement during recollection of the traumatic memories. Here is a link to Wiki on the process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_...nd_reprocessing
You can then download this program to do the EMDR at home: http://download.cnet.com/EMDR-Aid/3000-2129_4-10863922.html

Lifestyle: Exercise until sweating a good amount at least 3 times per week. What I would suggest is doing 1 hour of cardio combined with weight training 3 times per week. Exercise stresses your cells temporarily (good thing) and makes them more resistant to daily stressors and life events. It also boosts levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and nerve growth factor (NGF) which help in the survival of new neurons in the memory center of the brain (hippocampus). When you have increased cell survival here, it helps in the formation of new memories (which may compete with the traumatic memory).

Supplements: You will want to take supplements that help with overall brain/body health. Take all in morning:
A good multivitamin
100mg Coenzyme Q10
200-300 mg curcumin (or take a couple grams of turmeric a day)
500mg acetyl l carnitine
50mg resveratrol
2g creatine
500mg beta-alanine
150mg alpha lipoic acid
3-5 grams fish oils (3-5 capsules)
10mg elemental lithium (take 2 lithium orotate tablets each night; each is 125mg of lithium orotate, providing 5mg lithium each). This level of lithium is far below clinical doses (which are greater than 100mg of elemental lithium).
500mg of eleuthero in the morning, 500mg at lunch. Helps to deal with the elevated cortisol levels.
50-150mg L-theanine up to 2 times per day - Increases GABA, serotonin, and dopamine levels in the brain (relaxing effect).

Try that out first and if that does not work I have more extreme suggestions that you can try. With these, it may take up to a month or more to see large results.

Cheers,
Mban
+Quote Post
ikop
post Sep 02, 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #7

what migh be the extreme suggestions
+Quote Post
mban
post Sep 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(ikop @ Sep 02, 2012, 03:29 AM) *

I forgot to mention: Take an 8 hour timed release melatonin supplement at night before bed to help with sleep. Don't take more than 1mg per night. The timed release part is important. Melatonin that is not timed release leaves the blood stream too quickly. 300 mcg or 600mcg work fine, don't need higher dose than that (3mg is too much).

More extreme suggestions (don't take any of the following in combination):

SSRI - Escitalopram has been shown to have fewer side effects and better success rates than many of the other SSRI's.

If SSRI's don't work, you could try Phenelzine, but it has many possible adverse reactions and you have to watch your diet more strictly.

Nootropic: You could potentially try up to 40 mg of Noopept per day (20mg morning, 20mg afternoon). This would help with boosting BDNF and NGF levels which may help. Problem is that noopept is largely untested for long term use toxicity.

ALWAYS CONSULT A DOCTOR WHEN CONSIDERING SSRIs OR MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS(e.g. PHENELZINE)

+Quote Post
ikop
post Sep 02, 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #9

i will be happy to speack with you in private and learn from you .
how this can be done ? msn facebook ? if you agree.

i did tms, tstastorone , used only one hand for a mont hyperbaric oxygen , well those methods did not worked.
but i belive there must be somthing that can help , just need to find it .
it been 2.5 years od isolation for me . i am willing to try more and more, and as lonf as nedeeded.
+Quote Post
ikop
post Sep 02, 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(mban @ Sep 02, 2012, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ikop @ Sep 02, 2012, 03:29 AM) *

I forgot to mention: Take an 8 hour timed release melatonin supplement at night before bed to help with sleep. Don't take more than 1mg per night. The timed release part is important. Melatonin that is not timed release leaves the blood stream too quickly. 300 mcg or 600mcg work fine, don't need higher dose than that (3mg is too much).

More extreme suggestions (don't take any of the following in combination):

SSRI - Escitalopram has been shown to have fewer side effects and better success rates than many of the other SSRI's.

If SSRI's don't work, you could try Phenelzine, but it has many possible adverse reactions and you have to watch your diet more strictly.

Nootropic: You could potentially try up to 40 mg of Noopept per day (20mg morning, 20mg afternoon). This would help with boosting BDNF and NGF levels which may help. Problem is that noopept is largely untested for long term use toxicity.

ALWAYS CONSULT A DOCTOR WHEN CONSIDERING SSRIs OR MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS(e.g. PHENELZINE)

i have for now only melatonin 2 mg - it helps a little . usually i sleep 4 hours (before ptsd i slept 8 ) - yesterday i took 2 mg tablet and slept 6
will it be ok to take 3 mg or 4 ?
the other supplements i cannot afford it yet (financial prblems)
+Quote Post
mban
post Sep 02, 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #11

It's best to take 1mg or less. With timed release, 1mg should be plenty to last through 8 hours of sleep.

Here is a good example of one that works for 8 hours and is cheap: http://www.iherb.com/Natrol-Melatonin-TR-T...0-Tablets/41639

If you are short on money, I would suggest getting the lithium orotate and omega-3 oil first before getting into all of the rest:
Lithium:
http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Docto...lets/22628/?p=1
Omega-3:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Omega-3-Car...00-Softgels/323

Combined total of the lithium, omega-3 and time release melatonin from iHerb is just over $26 and will last you 3 months.
+Quote Post
ikop
post Sep 03, 2012, 05:05 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(mban @ Sep 03, 2012, 09:43 AM) *

It's best to take 1mg or less. With timed release, 1mg should be plenty to last through 8 hours of sleep.

Here is a good example of one that works for 8 hours and is cheap: http://www.iherb.com/Natrol-Melatonin-TR-T...0-Tablets/41639

If you are short on money, I would suggest getting the lithium orotate and omega-3 oil first before getting into all of the rest:
Lithium:
http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Docto...lets/22628/?p=1
Omega-3:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Omega-3-Car...00-Softgels/323

Combined total of the lithium, omega-3 and time release melatonin from iHerb is just over $26 and will last you 3 months.

i sent you private msg
did you get it ?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 04:16 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles