BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Language and Consciousness, How do they relate?
pooFox
post Oct 21, 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34633

Hi, I'm new here and couldn't find any threads on this specifically. I've been over at the Reaper Forums for a long time, but there are only a few willing to engage in deep thought and so I thought I'd look around for a more receptive crowd.

It seems to me that language is the key factor in the way we perceive reality. I get a lot of resistance to that idea and I'm not sure why. Isn't it what separates the self-awareness we generally term consciousness from the more sentient (non-reflective) consciousness of animals (and possibly all other forms of life)?

I suppose I find it troubling since the media constantly seeks to manipulate us through Pavlovian word/feeling associations. Our political leaders also manipulate us with repetitive, hollow memes. And people seem uncomfortable with looking at it. More to the point, looking at where their own thoughts actually originate.

I'd hate to have this go straight into the murky Conspiracy Forest, but what do people here think?

I'd also like to discuss ways to repair the rift between mysticism/occultism and science. Is this a good forum for that? No specifically occult sections, but those are generally not found on science forums...you know, because of the rift.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shaikh Raisuddin
post May 24, 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 37696

QUOTE(pooFox @ Oct 21, 2012, 11:52 PM) *

Hi, I'm new here and couldn't find any threads on this specifically. I've been over at the Reaper Forums for a long time, but there are only a few willing to engage in deep thought and so I thought I'd look around for a more receptive crowd.

It seems to me that language is the key factor in the way we perceive reality. I get a lot of resistance to that idea and I'm not sure why. Isn't it what separates the self-awareness we generally term consciousness from the more sentient (non-reflective) consciousness of animals (and possibly all other forms of life)?

I suppose I find it troubling since the media constantly seeks to manipulate us through Pavlovian word/feeling associations. Our political leaders also manipulate us with repetitive, hollow memes. And people seem uncomfortable with looking at it. More to the point, looking at where their own thoughts actually originate.

I'd hate to have this go straight into the murky Conspiracy Forest, but what do people here think?

I'd also like to discuss ways to repair the rift between mysticism/occultism and science. Is this a good forum for that? No specifically occult sections, but those are generally not found on science forums...you know, because of the rift.

I agree with you that language is the key factor in the way we perceive reality.

look for me on linkedin dot com or search "Consciousness is Simple and Easy" tp know importance of language
+Quote Post
Johny
post Jun 10, 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 37716

Tashi Delek,

I have read your interesting discussion.
There is one question I have:
What is the difference between mind and consciousness?

All the best
Kama
+Quote Post
Mr Kaffeine
post May 22, 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 38208

Language is how we interpret reality.

The more language we have, the more rise we have over what we experience and how we experience it.

Picture this, every morning you meditate on all the words that bring love, joy, happiness, flourishment to your life. Then, throughout your day you will actively and selectively focus on moments which bring this about. On the other hand, if all you do is surround yourself with crappy people such as drug addicts, negative people, then you actively open your attention span to only these things.

Our days incorporate all aspects of life, but it is how we interpret these events that make us who we are.

Language offers us a way to understand meaning, the emotion, and life in each of these moments.

What came first, chicken or egg?

What came first, consciousness or language to interpret the vast conscious?

Good luck with life and try not to be the third-person observer who sees both sides, neutral. Live free, and happy.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post May 23, 2016, 07:18 AM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

QUOTE(Mr Kaffeine @ May 23, 2016, 03:14 AM) *

Language is how we interpret reality.
Are you speaking of the expression of thought or the power of words as they apply to each individual.

The more language we have, the more rise we have over what we experience and how we experience it.

Experiences are always changing. Can you, (in words) define language above and beyond the use of words as they apply to thought and experience, and as they relate to cognition.

Picture this, every morning you meditate on all the words that bring love, joy, happiness, flourishment to your life. Then, throughout your day you will actively and selectively focus on moments which bring this about. On the other hand, if all you do is surround yourself with crappy people such as drug addicts, negative people, then you actively open your attention span to only these things.

So you are implying that external circumstances have power over experience. Your intention to seek the good within all things is and can be victimized by the nature of outward circumstances which are universally empowered with either good or evil.

Our days incorporate all aspects of life, but it is how we interpret these events that make us who we are.

But you are saying that when we surround ourselves with something that has been given negative aspects that they can overpower what we interpret. Meaning that interpretation is dependent upon the environment and what is in that environment. Then... who or what we are is defined by what we do, not what is inside of us, and it is not us who define us but others. So we are at the mercy of democratic interpretation as to our worth within the universe.

In the post regarding religion and Sin you go on about salvation. IF we are defined by our actions and our actions are sinful and who we are, then by default our nature is unnatural and beyond saving. Who we are is not potential but simply the outward actions of what we do and what we are determined to be by those who judge.
Basically we are born in sin and without the judgment of others and their direction as to who we can be or should be are mindless and without direction.

You seem to run on a loop that is contradicting and without intelligent thought.. or said in another way, your language seems religious based and handed down from one mindless person to another.

Language offers us a way to understand meaning, the emotion, and life in each of these moments.

I think cognition leads to the expression of experience thru the ability to communicate, using language that has meaning to those who are communicating.

What came first, chicken or egg?
One does not exist without the other, ergo they had to exist within the same time and space.

What came first, consciousness or language to interpret the vast conscious?

Define consciousness and language, so that what you are talking about is actually understood by the limits of consciousness of another. Then redefine consciousness and language as it is understood to another so that it is understood by the limits of your consciousness. Or define consciousness as it is universally understood by consciousness that fits into language that is understood by all.

Good luck with life and try not to be the third-person observer who sees both sides, neutral. Live free, and happy.

Try to live consciously so that whatever you try to impose upon others as their highest good, does not disappoint you as you project your reality and language upon the universe and it doesn't appear to meet or match your projections.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 10:48 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles