> Where did love come from?
coberst
post May 20, 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #1

Demi-God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 11167

Where did love come from?

Plato judged that the basis of love is centered upon the mutual struggle for truth. I claim that the emotion of love in humans is evolved from the mother infant relationship in early mammals.

Occasionally when reading I run across a phrase or sentence or paragraph, which really rings a bell for me. The bell may be recognition of the compatibility of the point to my own conclusions or perhaps the point caused an epiphany, or other reasons. When I encounter such a point I often copy it and store it in a file for later analysis. One such point is as follows: “Platonic idea that the giving and receiving of knowledge, the active formation of another’s character, or the more passive growth under another’s guidance, is the truest and strongest foundation of love”.

My analysis of this sentence led me down a long trail over an extended period of time to an understanding of the meaning of the statement and to an agreement with the meaning of that statement.

When studying philosophy I had read some of Plato’s work and had a slight remembrance of one of his Dialogues in which he dealt with the subject of love. After some study of the particular Dialogue in question and some further study of Plato’s general philosophy I realized what was meant by the point made in the sentence I had saved.

Quickie from Wiki: “Plato constructed the Symposium as a story within a story within a story. This architecture creates the space for Plato to build his philosophy of knowledge. The speech of Socrates points out that the highest purpose of Love is to become a Philosopher, or Lover of Wisdom.”

I often watch the Discovery Channel on TV. As you probably know this channel often has a great documentary on animal life. Their audio/visual presentations give the viewer wonderful insights into the life of animals. Often the animals in question are large mammals such as lions, gorillas, monkeys, etc.

Plato wrote, “An unexamined life is not worth living”. I find this a bit hyperbolic but nevertheless agree with the general point. Socrates also argued that the giving and receiving of knowledge, the active formation of another’s character, or the more passive growth under another’s guidance, is the truest and strongest foundation of love. Plato/Socrates judged that the basis of love is centered upon the mutual struggle for truth.

I would not attempt to explain why Plato’s Idealistic philosophy leads to this conclusion but I think one can find justification for this point of view by considering the nature of the parent to progeny relationship. Considering the nature of evolution one might easily discover that the origin of love could be observed in the obvious relationship of present day mammals. The educational relationship between the animal mother and their progeny are evident to the most casual observer.

Evolutionary Psychology is based on the theory that all human psychological traits, such as love, must be traceable to our evolutionary ancestors. The source of love in humans is evolved from the mother infant relationship in early mammals (perhaps).

What do you judge to be the primordial animal source (assuming an acceptance of the validity of Darwin’s theory of natural selection) for the emotion of love in humans?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joesus
post May 20, 2009, 07:35 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

QUOTE(coberst @ May 20, 2009, 12:36 PM) *

Where did love come from?
What do you judge to be the primordial animal source (assuming an acceptance of the validity of Darwin’s theory of natural selection) for the emotion of love in humans?

The source of primordial matter. Its inherent like the genes passed from father to son.
+Quote Post
coberst
post May 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Demi-God

Member No.: 11167

I suspect that like all of natural selection that the better the bond between the nurturing mother and the infant the more likely the survival of the infant and thus those mutations that helped this bonding became part of the gene pool.
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 22, 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

So all things important to survival survive.
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post May 22, 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #5

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

from the future
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 22, 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #6

Supreme God

That's really a science-fictiony possibility, isn't it?
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 22, 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(Rick @ May 22, 2009, 08:22 PM) *

So all things important to survival survive.
I'm not sure that this is a very useful statement. What I do know is that many evolutionary biologists consider that many traits in organisms are evolutionarily sterile. Indeed some organisms have been and maybe others will be evolutionary dead ends. So love might be a worthless trait in evolutionary terms. We just don't know yet, but we shouldn't necessarily consider it valuable. Let me give you an example of why this might be. Whilst self-fertilization may be an evolutionary dead end because it may result in the loss of genetic diversity and consequently preclude adaptation to changing environments, then love might (but not necessarily) lead to the restriction of the number of mating partners and thus to the reduced genetic diversity of an individual's offspring. I'll leave it for you to imagine the reasons why love might cause this latter effect for something to do over a boring weekend.

Peace and Love ...
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 26, 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #8

Supreme God

Consciousness might be another feature of life that is headed for an evolutionary dead end.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post May 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(Rick @ May 26, 2009, 08:48 AM) *

Consciousness might be another feature of life that is headed for an evolutionary dead end.

What at the bases for this argument?
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 26, 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #10

Supreme God

QUOTE(code buttons @ May 26, 2009, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Rick @ May 26, 2009, 08:48 AM) *

What at the bases for this argument?

This is Timothy Leary's point (The Politics of Ecstasy) about the value of consciousness. We tend to take it for granted, but it's the only way we enjoy anything or even know we're alive. People assume that consciousness is a necessary feature of the mind, forgetting that most of the mind is always unconscious. The computer and the anthill are two examples of complex organization but completely without consciousness. Leary thought that consciousness is an experiment by nature, and one that we shouldn't take for granted. He said, in effect, that consciousness is good and that more is better. Hence, his advocacy of consciousness expanding drugs.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 09:12 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles