> Extinction and the Dread of Insignificance
coberst
post Jun 23, 2008, 07:40 AM
Post #1

Demi-God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 11167

Extinction and the Dread of Insignificance

Becker compares three great thinkers Otto Rank, Wilhelm Reich, and Carl Jung to conclude that the three provide us nothing with which to connect their conclusions except that they dissented from Freud. However, there is agreement on the answer to the fundamental question, “What causes evil in human affairs?”

This agreement is also the agreement in all of the human sciences; “man wants above all to endure and prosper, to achieve immortality in some way”.

Wo/man wants, above all, to reject the knowledge of mortality; s/he does so by seeking to assure immortality in some way. Mortality is connected to our animal nature and thereby wo/man reaches for some way of being transcendent of that nature. As our mental capacity increased we rejected other animals with a vengeance because these other animals “embodied what man feared most, a nameless and faceless death.

Our fears are buried deeply within our unconsciousness by repression, that great discovery of the science of psychoanalysis. This repression “is achieved by the symbolic engineering of culture, which everywhere serves men as an antidote to terror by giving them a new and durable life beyond that of the body”.

I have recently finished reading “The Art of War” an article in the March 12, 2007 edition of “Time” by Lev Grossman. The article is about a, largely computer generated, movie regarding a war in ancient Greece. The movie’s title is “The 300 Spartans” and Zack Snyder is the director. The movie is, except for the human actors, a virtual world created by digital movie techniques. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...95241-2,00.html

“Snyder is one of a small, hypertechnical fringe of directors who are exploring a new way to make movies by discarding props, sets, extras and real-life locations and replacing them with their computer-generated equivalents.”

“With so much computer-generated make-believe going on, the actor’s physicality is the movie’s only link to the real world…every frame was manipulated and color-shifted to create an intense, thunderstorm palette…The result is a gorgeous, dreamlike movie that’s almost perfect. Every frame is neat and composed, like an oil painting, not a hair or a grain of sand out of place. All noise and dissonance have been digitally eliminated. Maybe that’s the only way to make a war movie right now, or at least, the only way to make a war movie that’s not an antiwar movie…That’s why it’s a piece of mythology. It’s what we would hope for. “300” is a vision of war as ennobling and morally unambiguous and spectacularly good-looking.”

That’s one hell of a special effect. And this movie is, I find, an insight into the meaning of “evil in human affairs”. We are all directors of our individual and our community’s virtual reality.

I suspect we have repressed such conscious thoughts about mortality that we are inclined to dispatch with a shrug any talk of such matters; do you ever consciously seek to “achieve immortality in some way”?

Quotes from “Escape from Evil”—Ernest Becker

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Jun 23, 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

I suspect we have repressed such conscious thoughts about mortality that we are inclined to dispatch with a shrug any talk of such matters; do you ever consciously seek to “achieve immortality in some way”?

IF one can learn to understand the nature of reality and the obvious fact that nothing of appearance lasts forever, immortality can be found in a more substantial form or formlessness.
If you could immortalize the flesh would it be the current body and face that you would immortalize?
If you had mastery over form would you immortalize a certain idea, shape or gender?

Here's a logical question: If you can't hold a thought about something or anything forever, why would you believe that you could become immortal?
It does seem logical that you should be able to come up with an idea and stamp it out into a form that would last but there is nothing on earth that is impervious to wear and to change.

Vanity and ego is often the inspiration to immortality rather than self awareness of the infinite within change.
But the reflection of change is the constant, and we change our minds sometimes more often that we change our clothes.

By the way evil is an illusion..a state of mind, not the inspiration that created the universe.
+Quote Post
coberst
post Jun 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Demi-God

Member No.: 11167

Joesus

I do not think any rational person thinks that they can live forever. But it appears that most people would like to have some impact on posterity.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Jun 23, 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

I do not think any rational person thinks that they can live forever. But it appears that most people would like to have some impact on posterity.

It's a really nice idea. I think the signatories of the U.S. Constitution felt the same way even tho they suffered for their dedication and commitment. Its too bad the people who helped destroy them still live today.
Yet I don't agree with you. There may be a few who would like to have an impact on societal standards for the benefit of future generations, but I think the majority are too busy worrying about whether they are going to be inconvenienced, to really work for the good of others.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 04:10 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles