4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Addiction, To anything
Lindsay
post Aug 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #31

God

Group: Basic Member
From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

QUOTE(Phi @ Aug 10, 2008, 11:31 PM) *

Glad to be an idiot with you, lindsay
Phi, fellow "idiot" thanks! for your brave attitude.

BTW, as one who loves challenges, I have the following questions:
Where do we go from here?
Are you enjoying the cat-and-mouse game?
And, how many readers are familiar with Echardt Tolle's writings?

I like what he writes.
=================
How do you feel?
IMO, there is a lot of "gobbledegook" going on out there, which I do not enjoy.

BTW 2, I invite, and I welcome, PM's from, anyone, really interested in developing the full potential of this forum?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 11, 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #32

God

Member No.: 25755

I'd prefer honest input rather than a chase.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 11, 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #33

God

Lindsay, delete some PMs or somethin
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 11, 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #34

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

QUOTE(Phi @ Aug 11, 2008, 02:11 PM) *

I'd prefer honest input rather than a chase.
Question: What do you mean by "honest input"? and "chase"?
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #35

God

Sticking to a topic and answering questions rather than proving oneself better than another
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 11, 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #36

God

QUOTE(Phi @ Aug 11, 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Sticking to a topic and answering questions rather than proving oneself better than another
In other words: Having a good dialogue, right?

If so, I heartily agree.

I am here to explore and dialogue about topics, not to prove that I have THE truth--which I do not, I only know what I know, period.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 11, 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #37

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

I am here to explore and dialogue about topics, not to prove that I have THE truth--which I do not, I only know what I know, period.

Well if yer interested in knowing about what you know and not pushing away anything new, then dialogue would have to include exploring whether what you know is real and worth knowing. If you learn something new and it makes better sense than the beliefs that aren't continually expanding your experience of yourself, you would have to make room for a higher/greater truth.
If you don't know THE truth then you're either open to know or not.. If you don't believe there is a truth that is universal, then the best you could do is toot the horn for personal identification and ideals.

If you aren't open to self examination then dialogue tends to dry up, and become incessantly repetitious.

Exploration takes guts, and a broad imagination. And a conscious awareness that isn't reactive and self absorbed in standing guard over ones self image with paranoid delusions.

But then addictions do create some strange drama in some folks.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Aug 12, 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #38

God

Member No.: 5681

QUOTE(Joesus)
Addicts have been known to steal from others, lie to others and even take a life to maintain their addiction to what they, (as you would like) have affection for..
To play devils advocate, Love is even more of a prime suspect for damaging social behaviour! When we fall in love we will do anything to be with that person, damaging our supporting relationships with family and friends because we believe those relationships strong enough to survive without our input. When we're completely engrossed in a new love, its likely that we will completely withdraw from other relationships to focus on the one. When we're rejected it can often lead to self harm, either directly or through depression and reduced eating habits or physically cutting or burning oneself. If we're scourned, cheated or morally destroyed by a relationship, the outcome can be assault, rape or even murder!
And this is the force that makes the world go around!

So when I compare apples to oranges, as I have with addiction and love, don't be fooled in the outward appearance... both apples and oranges are fruit with seeds.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Aug 12, 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #39

God

QUOTE(Joesus)
If you aren't open to self examination then dialogue tends to dry up, and become incessantly repetitious.

Exploration takes guts, and a broad imagination. And a conscious awareness that isn't reactive and self absorbed in standing guard over ones self image with paranoid delusions.

I believe its your attitude and repetitiveness of false sagehood that kills conversation. You have some good ideas and understand the concepts behind the terms, but the aire of authority you give off and the way your posts are structured and often derogatory and detrimental to this forum. Why can't you share without preaching?
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 12, 2008, 07:04 AM
Post #40

God

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Aug 12, 2008, 12:12 AM) *

... Why can't you share without preaching?
And all the people said, aloud: "AMEN!!!!! smile.gif

BTW, as most of you know, I was a professional preacher--now retired (since 1994). I loved my vocation, which I found to be more fun than work. I always tried to avoid preaching at , or down to, people. I spoke to them about the value of constructive thinking and encouraged them to explore news ways of looking at life.

This led me to develop a lecture and discussion program under the general heading, PNEUMATOLOGY-- the study of, or science about, the SPIRIT. To the best of my ability I made a conscious effort to avoid talking down to people and telling them what to think.

If any poster or reader, here, every catches me preaching at you, please let me know openly, or by PM. I will immediately edit, or remove, the offending post. Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 12, 2008, 07:27 AM
Post #41

God

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Aug 12, 2008, 12:04 AM) *

To play devils advocate, Love is even more of a prime suspect for damaging social behaviour! ... If we're scourned, cheated or morally destroyed by a relationship, the outcome can be assault, rape or even murder! ... And this is the force that makes the world go around! ...
At the risk of being repetitive, I have questions: Are you satisfied with the way modern English defines 'love'? My dictionary speaks of it as "a strong or passionate affection for a person of the opposite sex" Surely this is a limited kind of love, isn't it?
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 12, 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #42

Supreme God

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Aug 12, 2008, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Joesus)
Addicts have been known to steal from others, lie to others and even take a life to maintain their addiction to what they, (as you would like) have affection for..
To play devils advocate, Love is even more of a prime suspect for damaging social behaviour! When we fall in love we will do anything to be with that person, damaging our supporting relationships with family and friends because we believe those relationships strong enough to survive without our input. When we're completely engrossed in a new love, its likely that we will completely withdraw from other relationships to focus on the one. When we're rejected it can often lead to self harm, either directly or through depression and reduced eating habits or physically cutting or burning oneself. If we're scourned, cheated or morally destroyed by a relationship, the outcome can be assault, rape or even murder!
And this is the force that makes the world go around!

So when I compare apples to oranges, as I have with addiction and love, don't be fooled in the outward appearance... both apples and oranges are fruit with seeds.

The love you describe may seem like the love that makes the world go 'round, but it is only an addiction that fills the senses of one who has little self esteem and love for themselves. It is not the love that expands conscious awareness and breathes life into the universe. In fact the addiction to need contracts the world into a very small space. Obviously if one is not supporting a relationship with family and friends it is not a love that moves outward, uplifting themselves or anyone else.
Generally speaking the feeling of falling in love is followed by a sense of euphoria where everything seems perfect. The world is beautiful, you are happy, you have nothing but joy to give to the one you have affection for and that also includes friends and family.
If one has very low self esteem and little love for themselves they will try and absorb or take love from another. They will become dependent on the persons continual giving to fill the empty space inside of them, often becoming jealous and making unreasonable demands upon them.

If one is full of love and giving love the experience is that you get back more love.

In the story of the Mahabharata War, Krisna is describing the bliss of creationism that is the love of God in everything as he dances in the street amongst families that are fighting and killing each other singing "God, God, God.."
As the good reverend stated God is love, and it is that love of God that makes the world go 'round.

Emotional love is ruled by the senses and if one loses their object of affection, they may remember the love they had but do they still love and if they do, what is it that they love? Is it the spirit that still lives on or the dead carcass that lay rotting in the grave or the urn that sets upon the mantle?
What emotional love leads to is the eventual realization that we have within ourselves love that expands when it comes from an unbounded source inside us and as it is moved into creation. As we exude the expansiveness of the unbounded source we touch that in everyone else. Some absorb it and others push it away...
What people want is fulfillment, everlasting and permanent fulfillment.
Addictions that draw the senses from their relationships with others is the opposite of the love that expands and creates, in fact the love that draws one inward and away from family and friends destroys rather than creates.

It's always good to be intelligent about our choices.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 12, 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #43

Supreme God

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Aug 12, 2008, 08:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Joesus)

I believe its your attitude and repetitiveness of false sagehood that kills conversation. You have some good ideas and understand the concepts behind the terms, but the aire of authority you give off and the way your posts are structured and often derogatory and detrimental to this forum. Why can't you share without preaching?

Why not see it another way. You do have that capability.
One chooses to see what they want to see, unless they are self absorbed or addicted to some form of sensory input.

Psychologically speaking, in any egoic waking state relationship, there are 4 people involved. You and the other person, and then the person you see in the other person and the person that the other sees in you.
When engaging in a relationship whether it be casual or intense, if one hasn't the objectivity to listen to the other because they are absorbed in what they see in the other, there can be no understanding or communication, only projection, often with a wall between the person projecting and the other.
What people react to in these types of relationships is what they don't want in themselves or better put what lives waiting inside of themselves.
Everything that is projected upon the other is what is slowly eating away at the individual inside.

This is more easily understood when we realize that it is not the other who climbs inside of us and flips the switches to emotional reaction but the person having the reaction that either consciously or unconsciously makes the choice to react to something they see in the other.

True dialogue is not possible if you are invested in how the other looks, acts, or engages you in conversation. If you are closed to the input of the other you limit conversation to what you want to control.

Unfortunately this is the state of the world. Countries go to war just to defend their point of view and without really getting to know the other and theirs. People get into their cars filled with judgments and prejudices and at the least little bit of provocation like someone cutting in front of them, they slam their hands on the steering wheel honking the horn and cursing the other out for adding to the frustration that is boiling inside of them.

We choose to make the world what it is and if we want to see something other than ugliness we must find it.

But in order to find it we must learn to let go of that which doesn't serve us in the illusions we create from the darkness that lives inside.

When a person becomes whole instead of fragmented they realize that they are completely in charge of how they see the world. If two whole persons come together in a relationship that is not deluded by the ego, such as an enlightened relationship, there is no projecting upon the other only the awareness of ones Self Speaking to ones Self, or God to God if you will. This is the relationship that makes no demands and allows complete freedom of expression.
The only thing that prevents this is the ego when it projects worse case scenarios and the belief that some thing or someone, is taking something, or will take something away from them, and so barriers of defensiveness and reactive behavior stifles any dialogue and understanding.

I guess I could also say in this case that when someone believes that someone could force something upon them, they believe it is possible that someone could talk down to them, but that is still an idea that there is something inside of them that can be threatened such as their control. But it is only the weakness of the ego that feels threatened because it builds its identification of self on weak foundations of belief. IF anyone or anything disturbs the illusions of self absorption the world becomes seemingly out of control or chaotic and the reaction is usually to regain control.

By the way, I never Preach!
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #44

God

"I never PREACH"! ???

Give me a Break!!! Very amusing!!! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 12, 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #45

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

He doesn't. Can you cite an example? It's a perception problem. What one sees as preaching, another sees as assertions.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #46

Supreme God

Intelligence has its advantages...
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #47

Supreme God

I preach, and nobody complains. I say things like "you should". For example, everyone should boycott the televising of the Olympics in China. Watching the Olympics lends credibility to a tyrannical regime.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 12, 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #48

Supreme God

I think Enki complained once... happy.gif
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 12, 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #49

God

QUOTE(Rick @ Aug 12, 2008, 02:56 PM) *

He doesn't. Can you cite an example? It's a perception problem. What one sees as preaching, another sees as assertions.
OK, Rick. Are you serious? If so, let's dialogue about this. We can do so here, or in a separate thread...whatever. This could be an interesting exercise, eh?

MY TWO-VOLUME DICTIONARY-- WORLD BOOK-- DEFINES
==============================================
Assert.
It means to state positively; declare firmly. To insist on, a right, claim, etc.; defend maintain.

Me? I have no problem when people, like you Rick, make assertions. As long as they are interesting and all posters have the same opportunity.

When you say, "He doesn't." Is this an assertion by you? Or is it a preachment?
IMO, this is an assertion.

Preach.
It means to speak publicly on a religious subject. To give earnest advice, usually in a meddling or tiresome way.

IMO, tiresome, meddling and repetitive preaching can be awful!
=================================================

BTW 1, who gets to judge what is, or is not, tiresome? Is, or is not, a religious subject? smile.gif

BTW 2, it was TL , not I, who first spoke of "preaching".

Rick, BTW 3, the following, which, IMO, is a tiresome and badly constructed paragraph, mentions God. Does this make it an "assertion"? Or is it "preaching? smile.gif

RICK YOU ASKED FOR AN EXAMPLE. Here it is: " When a person becomes whole instead of fragmented they realize that they are completely in charge of how they see the world. If two whole persons come together in a relationship that is not deluded by the ego, such as an enlightened relationship, there is no projecting upon the other only the awareness of ones Self Speaking to ones Self, or God to God if you will. This is the relationship that makes no demands and allows complete freedom of expression.
The only thing that prevents this is the ego when it projects worse case scenarios and the belief that some thing or someone, is taking something, or will take something away from them, and so barriers of defensiveness and reactive behavior stifles any dialogue and understanding."

In my opinion, the above is badly constructed "preaching".

However, as a preacher, who am I to judge? smile.gif

Others may want to assert otherwise. I am not afraid of being out voted. Or even, wrong! However, I do not enjoy being should upon and bored to death by badly worded and constructed preachments.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Aug 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #50

Supreme God

Member No.: 3202

It has been said that a person may be smart but also not smart at the same time. Or, a person may be smart at one thing while not being so smart at other things.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 12, 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #51

Supreme God

I get no pleasure dialoguing with posters---who post things I do not understand.

The most obvious realization here, would be that a claim is being made to the effect that someone is doing something, and that it is not from knowledge but from the reaction of incomprehension.

To simply disguise ones own inequity with an accusation toward the trigger that sparks the reaction is like shooting the messenger without ever getting the message.
Also, to label anyone who speaks of spirituality as a preacher is stereotyping.

It still comes down to perceptions of reality. Face it Rev. You don't like me. I can handle that, but the excuses you make for having the feelings are personal not universal. You are preaching universal definitions to make them fit to the scenario and your judgment.
Why should I, or anyone else give your two volume world dictionary the authority to define someone?

Would you let those two volumes define you? dry.gif

OK, Rick. Are you serious? If so, let's dialogue about this. We can do so here, or in a separate thread...whatever.

Lets not assume this is an issue for everyone else just because it is for you.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 13, 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #52

God

Self-gratification
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Aug 13, 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #53

God

QUOTE(Joesus)

This seems to say that we don't have the guts to explore your sermon and our own inadequacies. Then you go on talking about people who don't have those guts being self absorbed, paranoid delusional and then finish with 'addictions do create some strange drama in some folks'. This final statement has nothing to do with your post, but seems to attack those that have had addictions and spoken on it in this thread.

Don't say only Lindsay has a problem with Joesus, because it clearly upsets quite a few posters and we all had this discussion last year.

Joe: Name one thing you've taken as interesting and/or changed your view from anyone here on Brainmeta. If you've not taken a single piece of information into your self, then you are also self-absorbed with personal delusions - or simply know-it-all.

Back on topic: Love, regardless if selfless or animalistic, is still about entities gravitating towards each other. True love can often cause negative emotions, simply look at all the songs ever written and see that a massive proportion of them are love songs - often about the negative aspects too (loneliness, jealousy, love-sickness etc). I'd much rather feel pure love instead of the tainted lust/love that we often feel, but I don't think the love I'm speaking of is the same as your spiritual love. That love is not of biology and we are unable to feel it because that means we're using our senses. I think we can't begin to imagine pure love.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 13, 2008, 05:06 AM
Post #54

God

Delusion is the key word
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 13, 2008, 05:07 AM
Post #55

God

Although a very prosperous delusion. I think I'll start a new topic
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 13, 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #56

Supreme God

QUOTE(Joesus @ Aug 12, 2008, 04:08 PM) *

I think Enki complained once... happy.gif

He did? I don't think I payed much attention to it.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 13, 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #57

Supreme God

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Aug 12, 2008, 06:58 PM) *
RICK YOU ASKED FOR AN EXAMPLE. Here it is: " When a person becomes whole instead of fragmented they realize that they are completely in charge of how they see the world. If two whole persons come together in a relationship that is not deluded by the ego, such as an enlightened relationship, there is no projecting upon the other only the awareness of ones Self Speaking to ones Self, or God to God if you will. This is the relationship that makes no demands and allows complete freedom of expression.
The only thing that prevents this is the ego when it projects worse case scenarios and the belief that some thing or someone, is taking something, or will take something away from them, and so barriers of defensiveness and reactive behavior stifles any dialogue and understanding."

In my opinion, the above is badly constructed "preaching".

The quote above seems to me to be a decription of a state of affairs, i.e., "When a persons becomes whole instead of fragmented..." The fact that he is describing spiritual matters doesn't make his assertions or descriptions preaching. Preaching is advising someone on what he ought to do.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 13, 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #58

Supreme God

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Aug 13, 2008, 05:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Joesus)

This seems to say that we don't have the guts to explore your sermon and our own inadequacies. ...

Joesus talks in generalities yet you assume he's talking about you. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 13, 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #59

God

I think its pretty obvious that the shoe was designed to fit one person
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 13, 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #60

Supreme God

I think its pretty obvious that the shoe was designed to fit one person
If a fisherman uses a lure is he targeting a special fish or is he just fishing?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 04:00 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles