Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Addiction, To anything
Phi
post Aug 02, 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #1

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 25755

Anybody care to share some of their experiences of addictions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boots
post Aug 02, 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Awakening

Member No.: 24437

Oxygen...Water

Can't get enough of 'em! wink.gif

i get stuck on thoughts a lot too.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 02, 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #3

God

QUOTE(boots @ Aug 02, 2008, 03:19 PM) *

Oxygen...Water

Can't get enough of 'em! wink.gif

i get stuck on thoughts a lot too.

Yeah, counseling never really helped me deal with those.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 06, 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #4

God

Come on you addicts.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 06, 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

I guess sex kind of falls into the same category of food and water, doesn't it? Also sleep.

If I like to read science fiction, does that mean I'm addicted? I don't think so. It's just a preference in reading material. I read other stuff too.

Whatever happened to the slogan "sex, drugs, and rock and roll"?

Playing chess can become addictive if you do it enough.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Aug 06, 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 3202

.... could you define 'addiction' for me?
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 06, 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #7

Supreme God

Sure. Desire to repetitively perform a particular behavior so strong that it overrides free will!
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 06, 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #8

God

I was shooting for the vague genre of addiction, something that one could joke about without really being serious. Or you could say something serious..
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 07, 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #9

Supreme God

Go ahead. Shoot away.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Aug 07, 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #10

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

QUOTE(Rick @ Aug 06, 2008, 07:06 PM) *
Sure. Desire to repetitively perform a particular behavior so strong that it overrides free will!

I would question if those had considerable free will to begin with.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Aug 07, 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #11

Supreme God

.... I wonder can one be addicted to numbers, colour, geometry, letters!?
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 07, 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Supreme God

Why not?
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 07, 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #13

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

QUOTE(Phi @ Aug 06, 2008, 05:01 PM) *

I was shooting for the vague genre of addiction, something that one could joke about without really being serious. Or you could say something serious..
Addict. One who is slave or devotee to a habit.
IMO, some habits can be destructive; some can be constructive.

Something serious and constructive? I am addicted to life...and being holistic about it.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 07, 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #14

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

A holistic slave.. mellow.gif
Fortunately God loves stupid people too.. dry.gif
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Aug 07, 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #15

God

Member No.: 5681

That was a little uncalled for Joesus! Some of humanity are addicted to the illusion of grandeur when putting others down via forums, or pretending to be a sage in the hope that others are fooled.

I've been addicted to many things in my life (sex, drugs, online games) but I've also burned with passion and enthusiasm for a topic so much, that I'll digest everything I can on the topic every waking moment. This then leads to me having a certain expertise in areas (3D modelling/animation, poker, just recently playing guitar). People in my life are certainly effected by any time consuming addiction I have, both negatively (selfish with time) and positively (holidays from poker winnings and sing songs on a guitar). Isn't it better to be absolutely addicted to something your learning to maximise the speed of that learning?

Addiction is simply a scale of affection for something: Hate-Dislike-No Preference-Like-Love. Its a categorisation on the higher 'Love' end of the scale. Often addiction is used when talking about actual body chemistry changes like drugs etc. How many of us have taken our kids for therapy because of their TV or sugar addiction? Pretty much none I bet.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Aug 08, 2008, 03:35 AM
Post #16

Supreme God

.... well put! For the next couple of weeks I;ll more than likely become addicted to Beijing, China.... go(ld) canada go(ld)!
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 08, 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Supreme God

That was a little uncalled for Joesus!

That is an opinion and you are certainly entitled. It may also be an addiction to a form of attachment to the illusion of the random creation of the universe that is out of our control, and the idea that humans are victims rather than creators.
Some of humanity are addicted to the illusion of grandeur when putting others down via forums, or pretending to be a sage in the hope that others are fooled.

No one is put down unless they choose to see themselves as put down. Lets not make victims out of people less we choose to become victims ourselves
I see truth of being as an ability to rise above the immersion of ones self in the delusions of absorption. Often when a few stand in the light of Truth, the majority who still cannot realize their own potential will stay where they are because they fear to rise above their current condition and find a need to defend it. So it is easier to make excuses, create labels for themselves and criticize the truth because it threatens the nature of their choice when making self comparisons.
Men have been crucified for living outside the lemming ("herd") mentality, and once upon a time the masses elected to bind the speaker of truth in favor of setting free a murderer and a thief. Its all about perspectives. We make our relative truths from personal points of reference.
I've been addicted to many things in my life (sex, drugs, online games) but I've also burned with passion and enthusiasm for a topic so much, that I'll digest everything I can on the topic every waking moment.

Are you saying you believe you had no other choice?
Isn't it better to be absolutely addicted to something your learning to maximise the speed of that learning?

Addictions blind one to the self awareness of the world around them. Often a drug addict will forgo food, clean clothes, bathing, sensibility in preventing common diseases from afflicting the body, any other human and their condition of being or choice, all in favor of supplementing the need for what one believes they have no control or choice. Addicts have been known to steal from others, lie to others and even take a life to maintain their addiction to what they, (as you would like) have affection for.. wink.gif

Addiction is simply a scale of affection for something:

That is a rather broad statement. Have you ever really asked a crack or heroin addict what their degree of affection was to being addicted to their drug. I suppose if you include the love/hate relationship of emotions, being that hatred is just twisted love you could say that addicts truly love themselves and their drugs. Which is why they slowly poison themselves to death. tongue.gif
Its a categorisation on the higher 'Love' end of the scale.

Personally I have a different view of human capability and the reality of creator and creation.
Higher love involves uniting physically and spiritually with all of humanity in its highest aspect of being.
Being self absorbed in your own ideas of personal reality actually prevents that from happening rather than expanding ones self into the reality of being the creator or being involved in the creation of the universe. Self absorption can seem like you are the center of the universe but in all actuality that universe is very small when the center of the universe doesn't understand or rejects anything foreign or invasive, or uncalled for..

Playing the guitar or poker can seem to an individual the road to expanding ones self and all of humanity beyond its limitations, but then if that were true we should all be playing poker and the guitar... Truth should be universal should it not?
How many of us have taken our kids for therapy because of their TV or sugar addiction? Pretty much none I bet.

Why would you when therapy implies that a person could actually be a part of their own life rather than a victim to it. Therapy would mean that the child could make changes within themselves to rearrange thought patterns that would lead to a more objective point of view of themselves and the ability one has to take control of their life.
Addiction then to a therapist would be more of a deluded state of being, unless it is treated like a condition that must be managed like disease.
Doctors these days are becoming more and more aware of the fact that most disease is a state of mind created by stress. Which would bring us back to the therapeutic approach of treating the cause rather than the symptoms.

Philosophy of the sciences and of spirituality seek to understand the nature of reality because the belief that the universe is a random occurrence and that evolution of man is not separate from our own control and participation drives some to go beyond laying down and saying there is nothing I can do or there is no value in what I do that can change myself or the world.

Lets be honest. Addiction is more of an excuse when applied to ones choices in life because it loosely hides ones self from the comparisons one makes when they measure themselves against others and judge them based on personal ideals.
By saying, "I am addicted to my way of life" implies there is no other way I could do it,"my life has me by the balls," rather than "this is the way I choose to be, and if I so chose I could do something completely different because I have that ability within me."
By saying addiction is a degree of affection, is I suppose a polite way to change the word to suit your needs, a manipulation of words, semantics.

So then in your world we will take the word addiction (so there is no misunderstanding) and inject into Webster's dictionary, the definition: a degree of affection.

I'll then use the Term "God loves stupid people too" to indicate that the universe does not ignore the addictions of ignorance in free will and choice, to recognize the reality that we participate and affect the way we experience ourselves and others. That we are in effect the masters of our creation rather than the victims to it. The potential for becoming great and doing great things is not limited to the illusions that we have no control over how we live our lives.

There, now everyone can be happy.... cool.gif
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Aug 08, 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #18

Supreme God

WOW.... someone decided to get serious!
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 08, 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #19

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Aug 07, 2008, 11:11 PM) *

That was a little uncalled for Joesus! Some of humanity are addicted to the illusion of grandeur when putting others down via forums, or pretending to be a sage in the hope that others are fooled....
Good points TL. I am stupid enough to be of the opinion that there is no "God" who "loves"--what ever that means--everybody. If there is, "He" must be extremely shy, or afraid of us. Maybe like me, He is just stupid. smile.gif

BTW, I am not an eh?theist. Therefore, I am also stupid enough to have the opinion that GOD is Love. Love in not just an emotion. It is, IMO, the human and spiritual ability --using philosophy, science and art--to bring Goodness, Order and Design out of chaos.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 08, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #20

Supreme God

I am stupid enough to be of the opinion that there is no "God" who "loves"--what ever that means--everybody.
That comes with the territory of not knowing God and projecting what God is according to personal belief, or being of an opinion rather than being of God. The "whatever that means" is only an elusive temporary condition that exists when you separate personal ideas from all of creation so that you fail to find the same divine nature that you could see in others and in yourself.

Jn 8:18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

Jn 10:30 I and my Father are one.

If there is, "He" must be extremely shy, or afraid of us. Maybe like me, He is just stupid.

Now now, don't project your own beliefs in deficiencies into idols of illusion. God is not separate from creation nor is God the ego who believes in human limitations or human inventions of infinity. God is Love, and that image of love is imbued in all parts of creation and that includes everybody. It is only when one rises above the vague philosophies and sciences of theory and ignorance of God that God becomes more than a belief.

Love in not just an emotion. It is, IMO, the human and spiritual ability --using philosophy, science and art--to bring Goodness, Order and Design out of chaos.
That would be human reasoning, to take something, and make it into something else thru personal opinion...., it is also called illusion, invention, creativity or creation. Truth is universal and always outlasts relative truths and personal opinion.
Love is Truth of reality and being, and all illusions of misperception of that Truth and being, are supported by Truth in the form of free will and choice, to see clearly or to twist truth into illusion.
If life is random chaos one can only by appearances rearrange it or believe random chaos is something different.
It is more than likely that perfection is perceived as chaos, and ego deludes itself by building castles of sand to create the belief in order and design, in and amongst any belief in the universe as chaos.
The ego then exhausts itself in the effort to protect those sand castles against the looming evils that still exist in the chaos that is the determination of human limitation.
Sand Castles created by the ego are often laid on foundations of belief, or life is seemingly Given Order and Design to chaos which exists in and around human triumphs in reasoning.

Life is changing always to the ego because it cannot make a permanent sand castle. Human triumphs and beliefs change like the weather, but like a loving parent the universe always outlasts the limitations of ego until the ego dissolves back into perfect order.

God loves stupid people too.... smile.gif
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 09, 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #21

God

Stupid sounds like a judgment.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 09, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #22

God

I'm addicted to my endorphins...
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 10, 2008, 07:24 AM
Post #23

Supreme God

QUOTE(Phi @ Aug 10, 2008, 07:55 AM) *

To most, yes it does, but then most people never rise above judgment to hear and experience anything other than judgment. They would rather harbor that reality deep inside and hide from it. And if they can repress the judgments and fears often enough the become addicted to something that they can use to keep the body and mind occupied so they don't have to be reminded of what they are afraid of, and what they don't want to experience when the rules they make to try and force others to act according to their wishes are broken.

Wanna see some definitions of stupid? ohmy.gif

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang. excellent; terrific.
–noun
7. Informal. a stupid person.

[Origin: 1535–45; < L stupidus = stup(ére) to be numb or stunned + -idus -id4]

People are often distracted from the original intentions of words by their reaction or internal judgments.

Addictions to personal limitations is what inspires humans to become enlightened. When they are tired of delusion they rise above it.

Because they can.... huh.gif

God loves Stupid/numb/addicted people too.... cool.gif
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #24

God

Who has fears being stupid? I can't relate to that
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #25

God

QUOTE(Phi @ Aug 09, 2008, 11:55 PM) *

Phi, have you ever heard of Newspeak, and Gobbdegook?

Basic principles of Newspeak
=======================
To remove synonyms and antonyms.

The basic idea behind Newspeak is to remove all shades of meaning from language, leaving simple dichotomies (pleasure and pain, happiness and sadness, good thoughts and thoughtcrimes) which reinforce the total dominance of the State.

Similarly, Newspeak root words served as both nouns and verbs, which allowed further reduction in the total number of words; for example, "think" served as both noun and verb, so the word "thought" was not required and could be abolished.
Also:
Gobbledygook
============
Gobbledygook or gobbledegook (sometimes shortened to gobbledegoo) is an English term used to describe nonsensical language, sound that resembles language but has no meaning, or unintelligible encrypted text. It is also used to refer to official or pretentious language.

In this sense, gobbledygook is a hurdle of communication at best, a means of imposing power at worst, and not to be confused with bullshit or treknobabble.

The term was coined on March 30, 1944 by Maury Maverick, chairman of the United States Smaller War Plants Corporation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobbledygook
This interesting:

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
===========================
"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" is a sentence composed by Noam Chomsky in 1957 as an example of a sentence whose grammar is correct but whose meaning is nonsensical. An example of a category mistake, it was used to show inadequacy of the then-popular probabilistic models of grammar, and the need for more structured models.
I don't know about you, but I get no pleasure dialoguing with posters--and I do not mean you--who post things I do not understand. If that makes me stupid, so be it!
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Aug 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #26

God

MORE ABOUT ADDICTIONS
=======================
BTW, as I understand it, we tend to get addicted to the things which help us to feel good; this which give us pleasure in the NOW--that is, in the present moment. For example, we can become addicted to alcohol--and I love beer, and wine ( I hope, in moderation)--and other drugs because they help us have fun, NOW! The same is true for sex.

With this in mind, currently, I am making the effort to become addicted to living in the NOW, with, or without the props, period.
===============================
Have you heard about the life and work of Eckhart Tolle?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

HERE IS A BIT ABOUT HIS BIOGRAPHY, EDITED
Born Ulrich Tolle in Dortmund, Germany, Eckhart Tolle lived with his father in Spain from about age 13 to 19, approximately between the years 1961 and 1967, after which he moved to England.

He had no formal education between age 13 and 22, refusing to go to school because of its "hostile environment"; but he pursued his own "particular interests".

Later, Tolle graduated from the University of London and completed research at Cambridge University, having studied literature, languages and philosophy. At the age of 29, Tolle experienced what he calls an "inner transformation", after suffering long periods of suicidal depression. Since 1996, he has lived in Vancouver, Canada.

My daughter, Catherine King, an artist, who lives with her artist-husband, lives on floating house on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
=========================================================
Tolle's non-fiction bestseller, The Power of Now, emphasizes the importance of being aware of the present moment as a way of not being caught up in thoughts of the tears of the past and the fears of the future.

His later book, A New Earth, further explores the structure of the human ego and how this acts to distract people from their present experience of the world.

BEWARE OF THE EGO
It is the feeding of the human ego that is thought to be the source of inner and outer conflict. Only in examining one's ego may people begin to see beyond it and obtain a sense of spiritual enlightening, or a new outlook on reality.

BEING IN THE NOW--THE PRESENT
In his view, the present is the gateway to a heightened sense of peace. He states that "being in the now" brings about an awareness that is beyond the mind, an awareness which helps in transcending the ego. Here, the ego means here the false identification with forms and labels:
body,
mind,
thoughts,
memories,
social roles,

The life-story, opinions, emotions,
material possessions, names, nationality,
religion, likes and dislikes, desires, fears etc.

If one is present, one recognizes oneself as the space of consciousness in which the thought or impulse arises.

One doesn’t lose the self in thought, nor does one become the impulse. Being present is being the space, rather than what happens.

THE BODY AND THE MIND ARE TOOLS
He says that the mind is to be used as a tool, but not let the mind use the person.

In his view, the "pain-body" is the emotional component of ego; it is created by the cumulation of suppressed emotions, the suffering of non-acceptance of what is. The size of "the pain-body" differs from person to person; it originates in the person’s past conditioning, usually the early childhood.

ARE YOU AWARE YET?
He says that our true "identity" is the underlying sense of: I Am, which is consciousness itself. Awareness of Being is self-realization and true happiness. He states that we people are very important, because we are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold.

BEWARE OF WANT THINGS
In his view, all wanting implies that the future is more desirable than the present. As long as you want something, you are seeking to reach some point in the future that promises fulfillment. Thereby you are making the present moment as well as the other persons into a means to an end. You don't need future or future lives to find yourself, and you need to add nothing to you to find yourself.

BEWARE OF HOW WE HAVE DISTORTED JESUS' TEACHINGS
He believes that the New Testament contains deep spiritual truth, as well as distortions, which are due to a misunderstanding of Jesus’ teaching. He teaches that when you are present, you access your inner knowing and you will sense what is true and what was added on, or distorted.

LOVE COMES WHEN
In his view, love comes into existence when you know who you are in your essence and then recognize the “other” as yourself. It is the end of the delusion of separation, which is created by excessive reliance on thinking.

LIFE IS A PROCESS
In his view, this shift in consciousness, for most people, is not a single event, but a process, a gradual dis-identification from thoughts and emotions through the arising of awareness.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #27

Supreme God

I don't know about you, but I get no pleasure dialoguing with posters--and I do not mean you--who post things I do not understand. If that makes me stupid, so be it!

You can't dialogue when you don't understand what is being said. You can't respond intelligently to anything you don't understand. To try would be...well you know...
You could pass judgment and call what you don't understand something derogatory, or make an assumption towards what you don't understand, but again that would be...well you know....

Interesting you posted information regarding Eckart Tolle. So do you actually understand what he is saying about ego? And if you do, do you find any truth to it or do you agree with it?
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 10, 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #28

God

Self-elitism has nothing to do with consciousness
+Quote Post
Phi
post Aug 10, 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #29

God

Glad to be an idiot with you lindsay
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 11, 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #30

Supreme God

Self-elitism has nothing to do with consciousness

No it doesn't. No one ever said it did.

But that is not the issue is it. It is more a case of pointing fingers either at ones self or at another and identifying with a state of being and a state of mind.
We are all responsible for how we perceive the world. Conscious individuals see and experience the world flowing outward from within. Unconscious individuals see themselves standing amongst the experiences as they come at them from oblivion.

Conscious people do not live from judgment where as unconscious individuals store programs of self identity and paste them onto the objects of experience in judgment that is not thru conscious awareness but reaction to stored internal programming.

Unconscious individuals find strength in groups of same interest, where as conscious individuals don't rely on the group to maintain their life force or to make them feel good about themselves. To the group or herd mentality an individual with self assurance often becomes an elitist, because it threatens the need to maintain the herd mentality because of the fear that exists to stand alone without the love of others to feel worthy.

Glad to be an idiot with you lindsay

Conscious individuals recognize the strength of consciousness in those who do not see it in themselves.
Unconscious individuals base their strength on the dynamics of what remains after experience and action rather than the potential that exists in everything now, thereby creating systems of self measure which strip the individual from worth until the individual is judged and tried according to the system of measure.
Consciousness is not an addiction, it is free flowing and without boundaries.
Addictions are boundaries of habit and delusion attached to the ego.

We choose to identify ourselves and others according to the foundations of our own beliefs...

Invariably beliefs change. Some hang onto them longer than others, but that is a reflection of "conscious" choice, or the lack of it.

Why you and Lindsay would identify yourselves as "idiot" or "stupid" is an individual choice. Not one that I would make for you or for myself.
I like to make reference to the obvious, which would be when something or someone of great potential fails to express anything other than remnants of the past and fail to live in the present or the now. By living in a world of self created measure based on past beliefs their world is not created new but is waiting to catch up to their judgments before it becomes validated as real.
Everything becomes subject to scrutiny rather than embraced and enjoyed.

There is no elitism in freedom, unless you judge freedom and condemn it because of your own choice to maintain the shackles of judgment, fear and repression.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 04:40 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles