Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ADHD, Autism and Attention, Controlling attention
dutch84
post Jul 21, 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #1

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 5115

Well, I'm one of those people who believes that that ADHD is not a real disease. I think it's all about what a person wants to pay attention to.

With that being said, how much control can you have over what a person pays attention to?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Jul 21, 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

Where does the Autism part come in?
+Quote Post
dutch84
post Jul 22, 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Aspiring

Autism?

Oh...

I guess that was part of a thought I was having that I wasn't able to fully articulate in my question. I honestly don't remember.
+Quote Post
purerealm
post Nov 17, 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6044

they seem to be related in several ways add and autism.

i'm not sure what the answer to your question is but i've noticed that my ability to concentrate has significantly diminished over the years. my reading comprehension can actually be recorded in seconds now (my motivation comes in sporadic short bursts). in the past i could multitask in terms of concentration (reading and listening at the asme time) but i guess i hyperfocus now. i'm not sure why it could be TV, but I have a suspicion that it's because i've overworked my brain in ways it wasn't meant for, somehow leading to this deperformance

my short term memory is terrible and i have problems socializing due to word recall
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Nov 21, 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #5

God

Member No.: 5681

QUOTE(dutch84 @ Jul 22, 2006, 12:29 AM) *

Well, I'm one of those people who believes that that ADHD is not a real disease. I think it's all about what a person wants to pay attention to.

With that being said, how much control can you have over what a person pays attention to?

I believe ADHD is a real disease, and I wonder why you do not in all honesty. But having said that, I don't think its a disease where you either have it or not, but more a sliding scale where some kids/people are more attentive than others. I have a nephew who can't sit still or concentrate at all, always asks stupid questions that he knows the answer too, all for attention. Children tend to give more attention and sensible thought after waking or just before sleep, in my opinion.

I guess in todays world, sugar and TV play a huge part in kids lack of concentration.
+Quote Post
dutch84
post Dec 21, 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #6

Aspiring

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Nov 21, 2006, 05:53 AM) *

I believe ADHD is a real disease, and I wonder why you do not in all honesty. But having said that, I don't think its a disease where you either have it or not, but more a sliding scale where some kids/people are more attentive than others. I have a nephew who can't sit still or concentrate at all, always asks stupid questions that he knows the answer too, all for attention. Children tend to give more attention and sensible thought after waking or just before sleep, in my opinion.

I guess in todays world, sugar and TV play a huge part in kids lack of concentration.

OK, well, how do drugs that treat ADD work, anyway? What do they make you focus your attention on?
+Quote Post
buckyboom101
post Mar 03, 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 34960

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Nov 21, 2006, 08:53 AM) *

well yes it's a real disease, but living with it for my entire life so far its more of natures way to equal out the brain because ive notice with me and other people with it our attention to something is very sporadic and short term memory is iffy, but our long term memory makes up for that by a long shot
+Quote Post
neurologic
post Nov 26, 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 36564

QUOTE(dutch84 @ Dec 21, 2007, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Nov 21, 2006, 05:53 AM) *

OK, well, how do drugs that treat ADD work, anyway? What do they make you focus your attention on?

I think drugs like Ritalin and other stimulants drugs used in treating ADHD help improve attention by minimizing hyperactivity in various brain areas.The effect these drugs i presume, is localized to the frontal and executive function areas of the brain and somewhat in the hipocampus. Also to add you this discussion, i also believe that ADHD is not a disease but that changed after realizing that the brains of people with neurological diseases like Autism or mania fire AP's which cannot be localized to a specific target. I thought it could be possible that ADHD could be caused various ingested chemicals, radiation and injuries which cause a permanent or temporal over-activity in the brain as seen in ADHD.

+Quote Post
pgd
post Dec 03, 2017, 07:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 39429

ADHD is a little like Temporal Lobe Epilepsy except stimulants work for ADHD to temporarily reduce ADHD symptoms vs stimulants which can raise the seizure threshold for some of those with epilepsy. When you think ADHD, think neurology. X-ref: Educational books by Walter C. Alvarez, Jack Dreyfus, etc. Also, take a look at brain concussions/sensory overload (flooding), Impact test, sports concussions, etc.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles