> L-Huperzine A, Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor
KoolK3n
post Jun 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #31

Overlord

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33523

QUOTE(Tone @ Jun 10, 2012, 01:26 PM) *

AMPA Antagonist barely exist, Stablon is obscure, and Opioids are practically schedule I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPA_(drug)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-18986
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunifiram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifiram
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rmorgan
post Jul 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 34350

QUOTE(k_swift1 @ Jun 10, 2012, 10:54 AM) *

Originally got my 200 mcg from Cognitive Nutrition however having read some of the threads linked here: Titled - "I would contact the user lifemirage". Im tempted to throw it in the bin. Anyone recommend places to purchase L-Huperzine A?

Is 200mcg safe dosage?

Finally is there any concensus on the safety of Huperzine, particularly in the long term? Alot of the threads I have read (not just here) provide mostly anecdotal evidence. The main issue seems to be the fact that NMDA receptor antagonist (controls memory function) which on the face of it is contradictory to the benefits of Huperzine A unless Im missing something.

Thanks

I would think 200mcg is very safe since I have found studies using up to 800mcg, but I will not use it for more than say 4 consecutive days because Acetylcholine will be building up in the neuro-muscular junctions in your muscles so they'll be getting contracted which is how some toxins kill you by keeping the diaphram contracted so you end-up sofocating......Take it for 4 days, then off for 3 or 2 I think should be a good approach.

I have 200mcg from vitacost coming in and plan on cycling on and off and taking long breaks from it......Anyone try Piracetam?
+Quote Post
LeeCrostM.D.
post Jul 02, 2012, 05:40 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 34248

QUOTE(semi-retarded-individual @ Feb 25, 2012, 10:54 AM) *

I'm somewhat familiar with LifeMirage's position on Hup A because I've been researching this substance extensively... however most of his posts supporting its use are from 2008. LM, has your view on Hup A changed at all? I know you say you've prescribed it to over 5,000 patients over the duration of your career as a MD. Do you still regard it as safe despite the warnings?

A user on Longecity put together a comprehensive post with sources concerning the dangers of Huperzine A use. I would link to it but because my post count is so low, I can't.

Search Longecity for the thread titled "AChEIs (Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors)/Huperzine A Dangers".

LM... are you still advocating its usage now the same way you did in 2008? Any new safety concerns?

Nothing has shown any previous clinical research done on L-Huperzine A is be unsafe. Taking it in very high doses everyday much like many supplements is not advised.

QUOTE(Jakare @ Feb 25, 2012, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(semi-retarded-individual @ Feb 25, 2012, 07:54 PM) *

I'm somewhat familiar with LifeMirage's position on Hup A because I've been researching this substance extensively... however most of his posts supporting its use are from 2008. LM, has your view on Hup A changed at all? I know you say you've prescribed it to over 5,000 patients over the duration of your career as a MD. Do you still regard it as safe despite the warnings?

A user on Longecity put together a comprehensive post with sources concerning the dangers of Huperzine A use. I would link to it but because my post count is so low, I can't.

Search Longecity for the thread titled "AChEIs (Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors)/Huperzine A Dangers".

LM... are you still advocating its usage now the same way you did in 2008? Any new safety concerns?

Itīs been a while since last time LM posted here so I donīt think you are getting an answer, at least a public one.
I am a usual lurker of Longecity and I linked that thread here in BM once at least. AChEIs are some of the most potent nootropics I have tried and because of that I pay them respect. For me they are a tool for special occasions and not a daily or chronic supp.
It would be really interesting to know LM response to your question but for me the dangers are there and are not meant to be ignored.

The only dangers are either for those sensitive to it, taking too high a dosage and/or everyday (generally in higher doses), or people with certain medical conditions in which they should avoid cholinergics.

QUOTE(semi-retarded-individual @ Feb 25, 2012, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Jakare @ Feb 25, 2012, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(semi-retarded-individual @ Feb 25, 2012, 07:54 PM) *

Itīs been a while since last time LM posted here so I donīt think you are getting an answer, at least a public one.
I am a usual lurker of Longecity and I linked that thread here in BM once at least. AChEIs are some of the most potent nootropics I have tried and because of that I pay them respect. For me they are a tool for special occasions and not a daily or chronic supp.
It would be really interesting to know LM response to your question but for me the dangers are there and are not meant to be ignored.

QUOTE(Jakare @ Feb 26, 2012, 03:35 AM) *

I appreciate your response. I think I will proceed with caution but I do intend to experiment with it. I suppose any detrimental effects won't be immediately perceptible.

In such case maybe you would like to know green tea potentiate Hupezine effects:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19622237
And Alcar an hupezine compete to pass the BBB (Ok in rats) so maybe better not together:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22359054

Instead of lurking at Longecity, you should register and contribute!

Well to be honest I do intend to do so some day this year.

I didn't realize LM stopped posting around here. I thought he was a moderator? Isn't he duty-bound to respond to me? happy.gif

LM did some extensive work here but he couldnīt scape the doubts about him or simply got bored and stopped posting. In these years his work has become dusty and outdated but is anyway a good reading for those who want to learn about nootropics and supps.

Yes I'm still a moderator but I've taken a break from my free service to this forum to work on some projects in real time. My experience and knowledge on the subject of nootropics and neurochemical research is quite up to date.

QUOTE(k_swift1 @ Jun 10, 2012, 07:54 AM) *

Originally got my 200 mcg from Cognitive Nutrition however having read some of the threads linked here: Titled - "I would contact the user lifemirage". Im tempted to throw it in the bin. Anyone recommend places to purchase L-Huperzine A?

Is 200mcg safe dosage?

Finally is there any concensus on the safety of Huperzine, particularly in the long term? Alot of the threads I have read (not just here) provide mostly anecdotal evidence. The main issue seems to be the fact that NMDA receptor antagonist (controls memory function) which on the face of it is contradictory to the benefits of Huperzine A unless Im missing something.

Thanks

200 mcg is a safe dosage. People can take up to 800 mcg within a day depending on their neurochemistry. In my experience 100-400 mcg is ideal taken as needed or 3-4 times a week.

It's effects on NDMA is quite mild and is also quite neuroprotective. Similar in some respects to L-Theanine but likely more potent.
+Quote Post
Astralogic
post Jul 08, 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 34354

I was going to buy some L-Huperzine-A and begin supplementing with it but after a small amount of research that's clearly a bad idea.

Is it OK to take one 200mcg pill for a one off effect? Just a few times a year won't hurt or will it?

Thanks
Astralogic

EDIT: Is it safe to take if I am also taking:

A general multivitamin and mineral supplement.
GPC choline
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU
Vitamin K2
Alpha GPC
Vitamin B-12l, 2000Mcg
Chelated Manganese

Edit 2: I just realised I've bought GPC Choline and Alpha GPC. Those are two bottles of the same thing aren't they?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Jul 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #35

God

Member No.: 5877

Ok I challenged LM before and will challenge again--wtf research exactly are you doing? Projects in real time include what? Hup A is crap IMO 800mcg is a ridiculous dose, I have never taken more than 200 mcg myself and never noticed any improvement (maybe the occasional flushed face?)
+Quote Post
xsiv1
post Sep 24, 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 34544

QUOTE(Flex @ Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 AM) *

Ok I challenged LM before and will challenge again--wtf research exactly are you doing? Projects in real time include what? Hup A is crap IMO 800mcg is a ridiculous dose, I have never taken more than 200 mcg myself and never noticed any improvement (maybe the occasional flushed face?)

I'd intend on taking 100-200mcg WITHOUT any choline sources on those particular days that I've chosen to use it. Have you ever tried using it (I'm realizing this is an old post) at 800mcg? I'm just not seeing where it'd be considered dangerous if used sporadically and a person was a physiologically sound candidate for it's use. I'm assuming 800mcg would be given to those people suffering from dementia or some other pathology. I, myself, wouldn't venture over 200mcg on any given day.
+Quote Post
oceanwild
post Jul 15, 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 37757

Huperzine A is one of the alkaloids contained in a plant known as Chinese club moss. Other types of club moss are common in the United States,
+Quote Post
Brain Hacker
post Dec 22, 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 38382

The side effects look pretty bad. Think I might just stick with my natural stacks.
+Quote Post
LeeCrostM.D.
post Dec 04, 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 34248

QUOTE(Flex @ Jul 09, 2012, 09:43 PM) *

Right now neuroregeneration, autism, and spinal cord research.

Some people only respond to higher doses if you obviously have side effects take less but if you don't notice any effects your dose is too low. I notice nothing myself below 400 mcg and many of my patients respond best to 400-600 mcg. Looks like you were under-dosing and didn't even realize it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright Đ BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles