Kaloa
post Oct 02, 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Awakening

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33114

Okay, so the following constitutes what I feel I must do:

I. Go to Colorado, and go to college.
II... Actually, that's all I know. Beyond that I am fairly unsure about alot. I only know that I am, and always have been interested in doing something good in this life. If it takes the form of one of the following; I would be more than happy, as they have held in me great interest, but no real outlet for satisfactory expression: philosophy, Buddhism/Taoism, neuroscience, lucid dreaming and sleep, Yoga, Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Wing Chun, cosmology, phyics, medical sciences and anything to do with the nature of existence/consciousness/truth/reality, and anything to do with helping the world towards greater self-realization/development/expression.

The problem is that I do not quite understand how to determine what is the best way that I can do this, and besides the seemingly inherent sprig of depression that comes from my innability to follow through with things intelligently, combined with having no current means of income, and a lack of direction, beyond the above subjects; I feel that I have only my will to shoot with, and it is getting stronger, but I still do not quite seem to get it over any signifacant fences toward anything concrete. I am confident that I will succeed, and am getting alot better at dealing with my depression and shortcommings, however that does not negate their existence, and their reason for being there in the first place, and I have come to conclude that they are trying to tell me that, "Yes, you are stupid and lazy in some areas that are critical to understanding.", and "No, you are not aiming very efficiently either!" I guess I feel somewhat foggy in vision and lacking in ability/skill/whatever when it comes to attaining my goals is what I'm trying to say. At the same time, I know that I must do and will do anything and everything to achieve my goals that I can. How best can I do this though? I feel it will hardly even amount to much at my current rate of progress.

The things I am doing to improve my chances at success: looking for a job, continue looking for stuff online and reading books that inspire me in some of the above directions, and asking you fine people for any advice you might have to give. I do not know exactly where my aptitudes would lie strongest, but I havn't found anything for aptitude tests online, and I havn't checked my local colleges(I assume they charge if they do have them/I have no money now) but I'm going to check that out. I'm weak in math, so-so in reading comprehension, ok at wrighting, history-not very good, but I want to learn more about myself and the world; as much as I can. I need to somehow define, or find a better way to improve my chances at achieving my overall goals. I know that I will probably have to establish residency in CO before I can go to a college there, but in the mean time I would like to prepare for, and know in advance whatever field/fields, and colleges/universities would be best, for me, to get into. Any advice, considerations or help of any kind you might be able to offer would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Wei Kaloa
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Phi
post Oct 03, 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 25755

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/teachme.html
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 04, 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #3

Awakening

Really? That did not help as much as maybe you thought it might, but thanks anyway. Now I've seen the frog thing.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Oct 04, 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #4

God

you're welcome. So I figured I was once in a similar place to what you described and thought u could use a laugh

I would suggest taking a variety of courses when you're able to start(some you might think you're familiar with and some that might be interesting but you don't know). It took me a while to find a fitting field.

I would suggest starting with one thing at a time and try kicking ass at it [(maybe the easy things first(something you're most motivated for) or maybe the hardest)].

Go out and find your people. I'm sure there are plenty out there who are in your shoes. Not only will it be helpful in the form of guidance and opening doors, but you have the opportunity to change others lives and learn even more about yourself. I have a firm stance that the best gift one can give to themselves is the gift of giving for respect of the rule. The moment I was able to be consistent with that and truly know it, life got a hell of a lot easier.

+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 04, 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #5

Awakening

Thanks. That's really good advice. What do you mean by rule? I'd like to know.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Oct 05, 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #6

God

with respect to the rule - not for the sake of ones advantage
with respect to the rule - how would you treat you?
+Quote Post
aethor
post Oct 05, 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 32629

That is still confusing.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Oct 05, 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #8

God

the first one is what your underlying intentions would be per action

not that im some kind of guru or something, I just believe in it
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 05, 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #9

God

Member No.: 5877

The Golden Rule "how would you treat you?" is practical in intent; however, I find it better to treat people how you think they would want to be treated.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Oct 05, 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #10

God

agreed...for some reason that's how I've always viewed that
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 06, 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #11

God

Oh and Kaloa, you seem to share many of my same interests. You may want to check out Bastyr as a possability for school (in the Seattle area). If your heart is set on being in CO, I am certain you can find many rewarding paths which fit your interests.

Most important I believe, is to find a career that you find personally fulfilling. The best way I have found to do so, is to volunteer. This way you get to test out many different options, and gain access to individuals in the field to pick their brains. On top of that, you gain personal references, experience, and have an excellent resume builder.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 06, 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #12

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 06, 2010, 11:18 AM) *

Oh and Kaloa, you seem to share many of my same interests. You may want to check out Bastyr as a possability for school (in the Seattle area). If your heart is set on being in CO, I am certain you can find many rewarding paths which fit your interests.

Most important I believe, is to find a career that you find personally fulfilling. The best way I have found to do so, is to volunteer. This way you get to test out many different options, and gain access to individuals in the field to pick their brains. On top of that, you gain personal references, experience, and have an excellent resume builder.

Seems like a good college. Acupuncture and TCM are interesting to me too. I am fairly set on Colorado though. Thank you for the encouragement. How do you volunteer for things like neuroscience and cosmology? I don't quite understand what you mean, or how to go about it.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 06, 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #13

God

Any school will have some sort of neuroscience program, and you can get involved with research quite easily, regardless of attendance. As far as cosmology goes, you can definitely find some good astrophysics type research; however, unless you are a badass with math, I advise against it lol.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 07, 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #14

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 06, 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Any school will have some sort of neuroscience program, and you can get involved with research quite easily, regardless of attendance. As far as cosmology goes, you can definitely find some good astrophysics type research; however, unless you are a badass with math, I advise against it lol.

I see! lol! I am definitely not a bad ass at math. I may shy away from that one, unless I mysteriously unlock my brain's mathematic genius region. Thanks! What about in neuroscience? Do you need to be very good in math to do good in it?
+Quote Post
aethor
post Oct 07, 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 32629

What about teaching yourself to be better at math from what you learn on the neuroscience course. I know that there is some way to unlock your brain to more effective methods of thinking. I have been struggeling with insomnia for the last one and a half year. I also have OCD, ADHD, depression and TMJ-pain. And sometimes when I have been lying in my bed for almost two hours, I get up to read, and experience this calm state of mind, which makes me such a good and focused reader. Still, I don't know how to reach the state on purpose, even though it happened to me three times. But I know for sure that I can somehow make myself a much better learner. Dh, I'm being way to obvious now.
Forgot to mention that I'm in a similar position as you - reading your topic post.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 07, 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #16

Awakening

QUOTE(aethor @ Oct 07, 2010, 11:33 AM) *

What about teaching yourself to be better at math from what you learn on the neuroscience course. I know that there is some way to unlock your brain to more effective methods of thinking. I have been struggeling with insomnia for the last one and a half year. I also have OCD, ADHD, depression and TMJ-pain. And sometimes when I have been lying in my bed for almost two hours, I get up to read, and experience this calm state of mind, which makes me such a good and focused reader. Still, I don't know how to reach the state on purpose, even though it happened to me three times. But I know for sure that I can somehow make myself a much better learner. Dh, I'm being way to obvious now.
Forgot to mention that I'm in a similar position as you - reading your topic post.

biggrin.gif...Yeah; I mean I really like what math is and how logical it is, but I can't seem, yet, to turn that key and open that hatch. Maybe because you are not getting enough sleep; your REM mechanism gets activated, and allows you for more creative absorbtion when you read. I have often thought that lucid dreams hold great potential for unlocking creative learning potentials. I'm not quite adept at it enough though to stay and find out. I usually get short spurts of lucididy. Perhaps you might try meditating before, and as you go into bed(if you don't allready) and try directing your efforts towards a more sleep friendly activities before bed. I don't know what that would be for you though. For me, I do okay with just meditating before hand...I totally agree though. I think there is a way into those areas that we just havn't reached yet. Thanks so much for the encouragement!
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 07, 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #17

God

Neuroscience ranges in intensity. You can major in psychology and keep things pretty basic, or go all the way to psychiatry. It is just a matter of how in depth you want to learn the subject. I suggest you pick up a copy of The Owners Manual To The Brain, and give it a read and see if psychology interests you. It is basically just taking the shit hardcore scientists have learned and applying it.

BTW if you haven't yet taken calculus, do not be turned off from math quite yet. I SUCKED at math up until I got in calculus and it actually became a relevant useful tool rather than some stupid rules. Multivariable calculus is to date one of the coolest classes I have ever taken, and this is coming from someone who has always hated math.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 08, 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #18

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 07, 2010, 05:16 PM) *

Neuroscience ranges in intensity. You can major in psychology and keep things pretty basic, or go all the way to psychiatry. It is just a matter of how in depth you want to learn the subject. I suggest you pick up a copy of The Owners Manual To The Brain, and give it a read and see if psychology interests you. It is basically just taking the shit hardcore scientists have learned and applying it.

BTW if you haven't yet taken calculus, do not be turned off from math quite yet. I SUCKED at math up until I got in calculus and it actually became a relevant useful tool rather than some stupid rules. Multivariable calculus is to date one of the coolest classes I have ever taken, and this is coming from someone who has always hated math.

Thank you for that. Actually I have the third addition of that book. I really enjoy reading it. That's very encouraging to me because I wasn't too sure about that part. I was making the assumption in my mind that neuroscince was an all or nothing kind of thing for only the super-intelligent...I thought most all of math classes taught in college would likely be a re-hashing of the difficulties I have had in the past. It's good to hear that about someone else who diddn't like math.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 08, 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #19

Awakening

I have heard it said that western phsychology is not as wise compared with Buddhism, which I have heard--been called 'A Psychology of Desires'. I don't know. I'm not above one or the other, but I have done more reading into Buddhism than western phsychology, and it seems to share a very similar basis: that of the mind. While they both seem to have their place in this world; I am not sure how they interrelate with neuroscience-- on the more scientific level. I will have to do some more reading.

I am currently reading a book entitled, 'Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying, with the Dalai Lama', which is a resultant work of a conference held once a year between the Dalai Lama, and some devoted scientists in their fields, and who are open minded enough to swap notes with a 'religious' leader on the nature of reality. I thought that was interesting concept. I have only just begun reading it.

It's definitely good to know that neuroscience in not necessarily a field reserved for the mathematicals, or the cevants, because it's very interesting to me.

Thanks again Flex!
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 09, 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #20

God

Quite the contrary actually lol. The crazy mathemetician type tend to be the ones who go into biomedical engineering, or something of that sort, and actually make MRIs etc. while the lay folk such as myself, use the crazy inventions but don't really have to know shit about how they work, and do give a statistician a bunch of data to do some statistics with, thus bypassing nearly all math smile.gif
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 10, 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #21

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 09, 2010, 01:53 PM) *

Quite the contrary actually lol. The crazy mathemetician type tend to be the ones who go into biomedical engineering, or something of that sort, and actually make MRIs etc. while the lay folk such as myself, use the crazy inventions but don't really have to know shit about how they work, and do give a statistician a bunch of data to do some statistics with, thus bypassing nearly all math smile.gif

Sweet! lol! So, I take it you have a degree in neuroscience then, or are currently in the field?

This is all great news to me I have to say. It's not that I don't like a challenge, but it's nice to know that if I fail at becoming a cevant that I can still learn in a field I like, and perhaps become successful in it. This is great!

+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 10, 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #22

God

Well my actual major is biochemistry; however, I do a lot of work with Dr. Ashford of the Stanford VA with his PTSD patients, and Alzheimer's research. If you are passionate and interested, you will get to where you want to be. No need to get discouraged.

A side note, if you are looking for education (to be educed--inspired) school is probably not the place. Schooling and education are two very different entities. Education and perserverence in my opinion are always more important and vital an asset than schooling.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 10, 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #23

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 10, 2010, 11:17 AM) *

Well my actual major is biochemistry; however, I do a lot of work with Dr. Ashford of the Stanford VA with his PTSD patients, and Alzheimer's research. If you are passionate and interested, you will get to where you want to be. No need to get discouraged.

A side note, if you are looking for education (to be educed--inspired) school is probably not the place. Schooling and education are two very different entities. Education and perserverence in my opinion are always more important and vital an asset than schooling.

I think I get what you mean, but shouldn't the material itself that you learn in college be educing or inspiring enough if it relates to a subject you took out of a continuing desire to learn more about your chosen field, or are the teachers and classes really that boring or innefective? Maybe I don't get it? I guess it may be that the way in which colleges choose to teach are not necessarily the best for many. I don't know. How do you mean?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 10, 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #24

God

Well it would be great were it the case that you actually got to take the classes that you want. I for instance love biochemistry; however, I do not love physical and/or quantum chemistry, yet I had to take them anyways.

Think about high school. Did you enjoy any of the books you were forced to read? Chances are any given novel was so over analyzed that you could not possibly enjoy it. I have found this to be the case with my schooling. My education however, allows me the leeway to consume a much greater variety of information, to broaden the scope of my thoughts, without getting into the nitty gritty, which much of the time is unessential.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 11, 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #25

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 10, 2010, 06:21 PM) *

Well it would be great were it the case that you actually got to take the classes that you want. I for instance love biochemistry; however, I do not love physical and/or quantum chemistry, yet I had to take them anyways.

Think about high school. Did you enjoy any of the books you were forced to read? Chances are any given novel was so over analyzed that you could not possibly enjoy it. I have found this to be the case with my schooling. My education however, allows me the leeway to consume a much greater variety of information, to broaden the scope of my thoughts, without getting into the nitty gritty, which much of the time is unessential.

Definition of education being: Your own personal way of learning that works best for you? Definition of schooling: Learning what other people feel you should learn for your studies and sometimes what you actually want too? Basically? ?

Yeah, I'm definitly familiar with all that jazz, but I thought you got to choose alot more of what you get to learn in college. To what extent, after taking all your general classes, do you have to learn crap that you don't sign up for?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #26

God

Well it depends on your major really. I don't really get to pick any upperdiv electives outside of my major requirements (stuff like quantum chemistry and physical chemistry are what I get to choose from...) because I HAVE to take so many biochem classes to earn my degree (leaving no additional units to mess around with, since there is a unit cap to graduating).

You can however sit in on any classes you like. Actually, you don't even have to be enrolled in the University to do that--saves a lot of money, and doing shit you aren't interested in smile.gif

Oh btw, if you want to explore some classes and see what interests you, you might want to brose around http://bruincast.ucla.edu/ and listen to a bunch of different lectures in a bunch of different field, from the comfort of your own home.
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 11, 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #27

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 11, 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Well it depends on your major really. I don't really get to pick any upperdiv electives outside of my major requirements (stuff like quantum chemistry and physical chemistry are what I get to choose from...) because I HAVE to take so many biochem classes to earn my degree (leaving no additional units to mess around with, since there is a unit cap to graduating).

You can however sit in on any classes you like. Actually, you don't even have to be enrolled in the University to do that--saves a lot of money, and doing shit you aren't interested in smile.gif

Oh btw, if you want to explore some classes and see what interests you, you might want to brose around http://bruincast.ucla.edu/ and listen to a bunch of different lectures in a bunch of different field, from the comfort of your own home.

Woah Woah Woah! Wait a minute! You're telling me that I could just Fonzie my way right into a university, find out the times of classes that interest me, and waltze my happy ass in and have a seat?! No way! Won't I get arrested or something will I? Sounds entirely too good to be true. It is isn't it? If this is true that I can do this with no consequences of any negative kind, then you are my hero today officially!

I registerd for the bruincast web site but it wont let me access it because I am not a student. I was honest... sad.gif... That would be the best if I could find a good online sorce for audio/video courses for free. If bruincast is it; do I have to pretend who I am? That's kind of weak. Maybe I'll do it anyways. I don't want to cause any mischief though, well not too much;}---<
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #28

God

That's odd you shouldn't have to register for anything? If you want to send me a PM, I can give you my access info. Technically you are not allowed to sit through classes, you have to register to "audit" the class, but no one cares or knows anyways. Most of my classes are around 250 people, and the professor doesn't know you unless you make yourself known.

If you go to sit in on classes I suggests that:

1.) you find a class with 100+ people
2.) it is a lower division class (or you might not understand a single things from the lecture depending on subject)
3.) don't sit through quantum mechanics it sucks smile.gif
+Quote Post
Rick
post Oct 12, 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #29

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Lacking direction? Why not just drift?
+Quote Post
Kaloa
post Oct 12, 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #30

Awakening

QUOTE(Flex @ Oct 12, 2010, 08:33 AM) *

That's odd you shouldn't have to register for anything? If you want to send me a PM, I can give you my access info. Technically you are not allowed to sit through classes, you have to register to "audit" the class, but no one cares or knows anyways. Most of my classes are around 250 people, and the professor doesn't know you unless you make yourself known.

If you go to sit in on classes I suggests that:

1.) you find a class with 100+ people
2.) it is a lower division class (or you might not understand a single things from the lecture depending on subject)
3.) don't sit through quantum mechanics it sucks smile.gif

I will try to PM for sure when I have more time. Thanks Flex!

If have to register to audit, then that mean that I have to pay for it; right? So then, as long as I am not too Fonzy, and don't make my presence obvious, then I can most certainly get some free classing?

P.S. I think quantum physics is nonsese anyways. It's too veague, and based on the non-existent possibilities within closed systems that don't interact in any way, shape or form with it's environment, which is basically impossible. So, it's mostly just made up stuff. Right?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 06:02 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles