Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> gabapentin as a nootropic?, use of gabapentin in multigram dosages
terrencemckenna
post Jul 11, 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33436

hi. ijust recently stumbled upon this site during a new found obsessive preoccupation with cognitive enhancement. it appears I
have arrived! anywho, a little about me: i am a 27 year old recovering addict...yet my obsession with maintaining a cognitive edge
persists. I am currently prescribed to nuvigil 250 mg 1800 mg of gabapentin and 300 mg of wellbutrin daily. I was prescribed 60mg of aderall daily but was taking waaaay too muxh more than that. anyway....i have noted on erowid that gabapentin is listed as a smart drug....i was wondering if anyone could inform me as to how......now it is a structural analog to GABA...a similarity it shares with the racetams....however it does not bind to any gaba related receptors.i have noted a mild psychedelic effect at doses over 1g (i have taken it at rec doses like I said.Im an addict.) as well as a paradoxical stimulating effect especially when combined with redb it is prescribed for a million reasons including anxiety and mood stabilization. has anyone had similar experiences? is there some mechanism (ie cerebral vasodilation) that would classify gp as a smart drug?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CurtisW
post Sep 13, 2016, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 38348

QUOTE(terrencemckenna @ Jul 11, 2011, 07:56 AM) *

hi. ijust recently stumbled upon this site during a new found obsessive preoccupation with cognitive enhancement. it appears I
have arrived! anywho, a little about me: i am a 27 year old recovering addict...yet my obsession with maintaining a cognitive edge
persists. I am currently prescribed to nuvigil 250 mg 1800 mg of gabapentin and 300 mg of wellbutrin daily. I was prescribed 60mg of aderall daily but was taking waaaay too muxh more than that. anyway....i have noted on erowid that gabapentin is listed as a smart drug....i was wondering if anyone could inform me as to how......now it is a structural analog to GABA...a similarity it shares with the racetams....however it does not bind to any gaba related receptors.i have noted a mild psychedelic effect at doses over 1g (i have taken it at rec doses like I said.Im an addict.) as well as a paradoxical stimulating effect especially when combined with redb it is prescribed for a million reasons including anxiety and mood stabilization. has anyone had similar experiences? is there some mechanism (ie cerebral vasodilation) that would classify gp as a smart drug?

Your post is quite old but I just stumbled upon it and wish to address your question.

Research has determined that Gabapentin enhances neurogenesis.

In an abstract of the study, "Gabapentin Enhances Neurogenesis in E14 Rat Embryonic Neocortex Stem Cells," researchers state:

“Gabapentin (16 µg/ml) exposure significantly increased the number and percentage of MAP2 immunopositive neurons with no significant alterations in nestin or GFAP immunopositivity in neural or glial progenitors. The enhanced number of neurons by therapeutic doses of gabapentin via augmentation of the neuronal differentiation in neural stem cells may participate to the therapeutic properties of gabapentin in the treatment of mood disorder.”

In another study gabapentin, as a neuropharmacologic agent, displayed effects of neuroplasticity, neurorecovery and repair in patients recovering from concussion It was used to manage several aspects of post concussion symptoms – headache, pain, poor sleep, and neurobehavioral features such as moodiness, irritability and anxiety.

So, yes, gabapentin would be considered a nootropic due to it's ability to effect neurogenesis, neuroplasticity, neurorecovery and repair of brain neurons and synapses. 

However, I have also read research stating that gabapentin antagonizes thrombospondin binding to α2δ-1 and inhibits excitatory synapse formation. This study does not seem to jive with the above-mentioned studies. Then again it may be that while one of the medicine's effects is inhibiting neuronal hyperactivity in excitatory synapse (involved in pain sensations), that gabapentin enhances neurogenesis in other neurons and synapses.

One study reported:
“Several psychoactive drugs, including antidepressants, can modulate adult neurogenesis. Here we show for the first time that the α2δ ligands Gabapentin [1-(aminomethyl)cyclohexaneacetic acid] . . . can produce concentration-dependent increases in the numbers of newborn mature and immature neurons generated in vitro from adult hippocampal neural progenitor cells and, in parallel, a decrease in the number of undifferentiated precursor cells.”

In another study:
“We found that PGB [related chemically to gabapentin]decreases neuronal excitability and accelerates maturation of adult-born granule cells influencing the network's plasticity.”

In yet another study:
“These results suggest that diabetes causes glial and neuronal injury, possibly as a result of elevated oxidative stress, and that gabapentin protects neurons and glial cells.” 

Gabapentin enhances neurogenesis and therefore it appears that it should be considered a nootropic.

I attempted to post links to these studies but the forum blocked me from doing so until I make additional posts. The above studies can be found at NCIB PubMed dot com.

At any rate, I hope you have found some help with your addictions. I highly suggest Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous. I myself am in remission from the disease of addiction. It is a deadly disease. If I can help in any way I will surely do so.
+Quote Post
romanze7
post Dec 02, 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 38432

Gabapentin enhances neurogenesis and therefore it appears that it should be considered a nootropic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles