BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cannabis and Anxiety, Can it be eliminated?
cblackwell44
post Dec 30, 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 31823

It is well-known that Cannabis can cause severe anxiety/panic/paranoia to the point of preventing use for some people. Has anyone explored the idea of using nootropics/entheogens to eliminate that anxiety that can, sometimes, accompany a high?

I know someone who would love to use MJ again (occasionally) but can't due to intense anxiety...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slackjawyokel
post Dec 30, 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 31750

QUOTE(cblackwell44 @ Dec 30, 2008, 01:42 AM) *

It is well-known that Cannabis can cause severe anxiety/panic/paranoia to the point of preventing use for some people. Has anyone explored the idea of using nootropics/entheogens to eliminate that anxiety that can, sometimes, accompany a high?

I know someone who would love to use MJ again (occasionally) but can't due to intense anxiety...

There is more than one strain of marijuana, and logically, they produce different effects.
Strains that are predominantly sativa tend to be more racy and energetic, but can also cause feelings of anxiety.
The predominantly Indica strains are much more relaxing of both body and mind.
However, unless you have a great source, or are located in a state like California where you can buy medical grade at a clinic, it's hard to know what you are getting, or how it was grown.

+Quote Post
cblackwell44
post Dec 30, 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Thanks, but Sativa strains also tend to be more stimulating mentally and are far greater for expanding consciousness than stoning Indica blends (which can also cause anxiety).

The goal is to find a supplement that will eliminate the anxiety caused by marijuana in general.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Dec 31, 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #4

God

Member No.: 5681

I think the source of the anxiety needs to be addressed. I had a similar problem, but the anxiety was caused by a medical condition causing chest pain. This anxiety wouldn't shift no matter what type of cannabis was smoked. So I'd suggest you speak to your friend and go from there. It may be he's paranoid about you as a friend, or doesnt feel right in his own skin, or a myriad of other options.
+Quote Post
slackjawyokel
post Dec 31, 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 31750

taking something else so you can take marijuana ?
makes no sense to me.

however, I will point out that its easy to "overdose" on good bud-
and that can cause feelings of anxiety.
One or two puffs is all its takes medicinally speaking.

one more note :
in my experience, people who feel anxious on MJ
are those who have a problem being genuine.

oh and good luck to your "friend"
+Quote Post
cblackwell44
post Dec 31, 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #6

I agree that anxiety is an issue that, in order to be ultimately resolved, must be addressed at the root of its cause.

However, the relationship between Cannabis and Anxiety is, to me, deceptive at best. Brain scans of people under the influence have shown similar brain activity to Schizophrenics, and may at times exhibit signs mild/moderate psychosis.

Again, there must be a way, through the use of a separate substance, to eliminate that the tendency toward paranoia that MJ can cause.

For example, it has come to my attention that Dilantin, a commonly prescribed anti-convulsive, can effectively remove paranoia and anxiety from a high.

(I'd post the source but it won't let me. However, type in Totse Dilantin into google to see that article).
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jan 03, 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #7

God

I think that trying to remove the anxiety at higher levels of intoxication of cannabis is like trying to remove double vision from alcohol...
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Jan 14, 2009, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Aspiring

Member No.: 22853

You get anxiety while tripping or after the drug wears off?
I used to get CRAZY anxiety if I smoked for a few days in a row non stop and then suddenly stopped.
But I learned that it was certain attitudes that contributed to the anxiety.
Everytime I did just about anything, eat, sleep, fap, watch a movie, listen to a song, I would think, man how much better this would be if I took another hit. Slowly, I didn't want to do much but smoke weed. This gave me a dependence to the drug, and when I stopped, my heart rate was 120 for a good 3-5 days and I couldn't eat or sleep, and I felt like I was constantly being punched in the stomach.

Now, knowing this, I lost all my dependence forming attitudes. Last time I smoked for 3 weeks and I didn't get much anxiety/withdrawals at all after cessation. I was sleeping by the first night.
Doxylamine succinate/diphenhydramine greatly helps with that too for the first few days.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jan 14, 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #9

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Some people get paranoid when they smoke cannabis. They become sensitized to little fears that then seem very large. Heroin users don't like cannabis, I think, for that reason. They like the comfort of the opiate which can soothe those fears. William Burroughs (noted heroin addict) relates an incident in The Naked Lunch in which one character smokes some cannabis, stands up and announces "I've got the fear!", and then runs out of the room.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jan 14, 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #10

God

Member No.: 25755

QUOTE(Rick @ Jan 14, 2009, 07:54 AM) *

Some people get paranoid when they smoke cannabis. They become sensitized to little fears that then seem very large. Heroin users don't like cannabis, I think, for that reason. They like the comfort of the opiate which can soothe those fears. William Burroughs (noted heroin addict) relates an incident in The Naked Lunch in which one character smokes some cannabis, stands up and announces "I've got the fear!", and then runs out of the room.

that's me for sure! lol. Do you know what could cause that since you made that connection that makes sense with me? I don't use heroin, but I did have an opiate addiction for a few years.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jan 14, 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #11

Supreme God

I suppose if you like the other sensitizing effects of cannabis, you can just get used to the tendency toward paranoia, make sure you don't overdose, and always get high in a safe place around friends. For example, don't smoke while out in a car, get pulled over by the cops, and expect to have a quiet peaceful experience.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Jan 14, 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #12

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(Rick @ Jan 14, 2009, 07:54 AM) *

William Burroughs (noted heroin addict) relates an incident in The Naked Lunch in which one character smokes some cannabis, stands up and announces "I've got the fear!", and then runs out of the room.

LOL! I'm not at all surprised! With as fuc*ed up a script as that movie had, I can see where he's coming from!
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jan 14, 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #13

God

What about cbn's being an anti-psychotic? What other reasons could one make a tie with heroin and not liking weed, or any opiate user and THE FEAR?
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jan 15, 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #14

God

My brother died to heroin last year. He drank every day all day, smoked as much as he could get his hands on, and was basically the worst kind of human dreg. He gave up on himself a long long time ago.

But through all this, I'm pretty sure he never bothered wasting his cannabis when he was smacked off his tits. I've seen the results and the person affected by heroin is in no state to talk let alone roll and smoke cannabis.

I'm interested in the whole 'cannabinoids as an anti-psychotic' debate. The people putting out 'public information' when they're absolutely confused on the whole subject should shut their mouths. Cannabis can induce psychosis and disassociative feelings and thoughts. I use this to ponder philosophy, but sometimes feel that its really the start of pscyhosis.

But then I hear that THC is a chemically inverted mirror of some chemical in the brain that deteriorates in alzeimers sufferers. It may well help problems and create others, not much in life is free so I always expect negatives. A similar example is possible side-effects on every medicine sold today. If you read them, you'll often have a little anxiety about the medicine.

Drugs are a tightrope walk, just make sure you've researched the best pole and shoes for the job...
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jan 15, 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #15

Supreme God

QUOTE(code buttons @ Jan 14, 2009, 06:00 PM) *
LOL! I'm not at all surprised! With as fuc*ed up a script as that movie had, I can see where he's coming from!

The movie was quite a bit different from the book. Maybe it was actually better.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jan 16, 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #16

God

I've heard of Naked Lunch, my interest piqued, but I never got around to seeing/reading it. It sounded weird, with heroin and homoerotic free flowing thoughts if I remember rightly. So you guys recommend the movie over the book? (at least from a plotline perspective)
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jan 16, 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #17

Supreme God

Don't look for a plotline. It's pure weirdness. Interesting somewhat, but it will make no sense if you haven't read the book, and then it will make less sense. And don't read the book if homo-erotic scenes are unsettling for you.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jan 16, 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #18

God

I have not read the book but I saw the awful movie(maybe because I didn't understand). But even if i did understand, I don't think I'd like it.

The movie may cause anxieties about why such a horrible movie was made...

Terrible terrible terrible...save your eyes, time, health, anybody, everybody; and don't watch it unless you like your brain cells to take a sh*t on your head.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Jan 16, 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #19

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(Phi @ Jan 16, 2009, 08:46 AM) *

Terrible terrible terrible...save your eyes, time, health, anybody, everybody; and don't watch it unless you like your brain cells to sh*t on your head.

LOL!!! Quite an impression it left on you!!! Here's the trailer to the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-Q07iVQws
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jan 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #20

God

Read the book instead. Check out this steamy metaphor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aM3y3ZRY&feature=related
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles