Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sleep Talking, My unique experience.
Kyle Caster
post Aug 25, 2012, 02:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34464

Through the highest extent of the Google search, I have looked as far into the subject as the Internet would take me, and I feel there is much more on the subject than is readily covered. I have only an interest in cognitive science, no formal background. I was hoping for some direction, as I am extremely curious for more details.

Here are my circumstances.

My girlfriend talks in her sleep. I have never seen or read about anything like this. It is not just random words, strings of thought or insights to dreams - this would more closely resemble a second personality. She is exclusively interactive, Everything said is in response to something I say first. To begin talking, I must first "activate" her into conversation mode. Most easily, I simply ask her "Why not??" until I get a reaction. A facial twitch at first, but finally she'll begin to say it back. And we're in.

From there, it's a series of commands and responses. If there is no "pre-programmed" response for what I say, she will attempt to repeat the word. Other words and phrases trigger specific responses. When I ask her "how many?" for example, she will always answer "it's three". I had taught her this months ago. She has a number of memorized responses and associations. She knows "hey hey!" to be associated with Krusty the Clown. There are dozens of these.

The most noteworthy part of this is the memory. While we can talk for over an hour, she recalls nothing as soon as she wakes up. But when she's back asleep, she still remembers the things she learned. She is almost completely consistent - a response is almost guaranteed to be the same next time I say the same thing, even months later. I can ask generic questions to her to draw from what she knows. I can repeatedly as her "what is it?", for example, and at random, she will cycle through words and responses from past sessions - even some that were only said once 6 months ago. But never anything she hasn't directly said while in this mode of sleep talking.

Recently, she developed a sense of humor, consisting of silly sounding words. If I say "rice krispies" she will begin to laugh and say "oh my god!". Other words like "Moe Sizlac", "squished 'squito", or even "casserole" have the same effect. The same reaction occurs when she Thinks of one of these words without them having ever been said.

I could write a book about my girlfriend's sleep talking, so I hope I was concise enough. I just find it odd that I've never heard of any of this. I'm wondering if this can be explained, or if this is highly abnormal and should be looked into. What are your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Aug 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

Hello Kyle,

First of all, welcome to this fabulous site.

I read your post the day you posted it and found your information very difficult to believe.
I also searched the web and quickly realised that 'sleep talking' is totally different to 'sleep communication', which is what you have experienced!

You may like to try a search for 'sleep communication' (or something similar) yourself.

I have no experience in this area, but do consider that you and partner should seek medical advice because sleep talking alone can be a symptom of some experiences which ideally need resolution.

One interesting website is http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/34760.htm

Good luck in learning more.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles