Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Savant brain capacity, Savant brain capacity versus 'normal' brain
MoffyUK
post Apr 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32715

The most famous Autistic Savant, Kim Peek recently died. He was apparently able to read two pages of a book simultaneously - one with each eye. And generally remembered 90+% of the content of the books he read. At a rate of about 5 a day, including complete telephone directories, this is a prodigous capacity to absorb information. Other savants are able to play even complex pieces of music note perfect after one hearing, and never forget that music.

The point here is not really so much that they have profound capabilities and capacities, but that the rest of us are by contrast extraordinarily lacking. The brain of a savant might be in some way different in structure to a 'normal' brain, but it has the same basic capacity and capabilities. It is, in my view, more that the rest of us have heavily dampened cerebral abilities. And this is the subject of my question. Quite why are we so mentally handicapped in comarison to autistic savants, even though they are generally deemed to be the defective amongst us?

My theory is that the stability that a low functioning - 'normal' brain - brings has evolved for it's ability to socially conform. And certainly savants are often socially handicapped to a large degree. To a lesser degree, intellectual geniuses often struggle to equate with their lesser able fellow man, and this is a high price they pay for their mental 'advantage'.

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joshep.sheena03
post May 04, 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 32739

Savant brain has more capable than normal brain.But don't have any idea about this because if both the brains have simillar functionalities and capabilites then how it would be possible that his brain was more capable than others?
+Quote Post
entheoside
post Jul 04, 2017, 01:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 37822

QUOTE(MoffyUK @ Apr 22, 2010, 05:17 AM) *

The most famous Autistic Savant, Kim Peek recently died. He was apparently able to read two pages of a book simultaneously - one with each eye. And generally remembered 90+% of the content of the books he read. At a rate of about 5 a day, including complete telephone directories, this is a prodigous capacity to absorb information. Other savants are able to play even complex pieces of music note perfect after one hearing, and never forget that music.

The point here is not really so much that they have profound capabilities and capacities, but that the rest of us are by contrast extraordinarily lacking. The brain of a savant might be in some way different in structure to a 'normal' brain, but it has the same basic capacity and capabilities. It is, in my view, more that the rest of us have heavily dampened cerebral abilities. And this is the subject of my question. Quite why are we so mentally handicapped in comarison to autistic savants, even though they are generally deemed to be the defective amongst us?

My theory is that the stability that a low functioning - 'normal' brain - brings has evolved for it's ability to socially conform. And certainly savants are often socially handicapped to a large degree. To a lesser degree, intellectual geniuses often struggle to equate with their lesser able fellow man, and this is a high price they pay for their mental 'advantage'.

Thoughts?

Your theory seems plausible! and if it were to be true, why is that individuals behave that way?
Would we rather be a apart of the "Group"/"Tribe" then risk being ostracized? the need for Oxytocin/love? Is the status quo a race of addicts?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles