Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What’s all that fuss about ego?
waechter418
post Mar 31, 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 37911

…..after all ego (Latin: I) is just a viewpoint, a reference term – which might irritate, when overly used - but so does “you know”
“Egoists, Egocentrics & Egomaniacs” stem probably from the need to project and label something beyond the I – at least it would explain why ego is supposed to be synonymous for self. But what is self? – certainly not I, otherwise psychologists, mystics & gurus couldn’t make so much ado about it.
To me the term self encompasses what I am – including my ignorance about it – which doesn’t bother me, since I am what I do & I do what I am – thus having no problem with my self, and no desire to be someone else, or to go to a monastery to get rid of my self – which in my opinion requires an ego much larger than I can afford.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haohao
post Apr 01, 2016, 02:05 AM
Post #2

Awakening

Member No.: 38120

From the phychological aspect, the Ego or the self is a multi-leveled entity, which is the coexisting combination of the physical body and mind. The ego could be changed or reformed, and could be improved through our interactions with the real world, including our behaviours. From the view of the neuro-researching, Ego or self, even selvs, is activities of neruo-involved activities in the form of the energy flow. The neuros in the brain and the cells of the other part of our body make up our ideas or thinking, even the thinking way.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Apr 01, 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #3

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

The ego (everything goes outward) is in spiritual terms of mystics, the attached identity to the personal experiences, which separates one person from another. Tho individuality does not in itself represent a bad thing, it has its limitations.
For example: when an event takes place within duality and there are several people who witness the event, no two individuals see or experience the same thing regardless of whether they agree on something. This in part is the result of conditioning. The outward going senses which the personality uses to identify the self/I with certain past events, which when conditioned use the outward going senses to perceive reality with the beliefs of the individual, which are inclusive of those past events, color the perception of individuality and reality.
This coloring limits perception.

If ten people see and experience different things, an objective person would enhance the perceptive outcomes by looking into each of the ten perspectives to gauge a larger truth than one single perception. In other words he/she would be objective rather than subjective when investigating an experience. When it comes to the ego, there is my truth and your truth. All truths being relative, there is no absolute truth.

Another perspective: Folks tend to believe they are victim to objects or events. Something happens and they have an experience such as feeling shock or fear and they assume the object or event has altered their perceptibly, when in fact psychologically the individual makes the choice to assume an identity with the event and integrate it into all future events and decisions (coloring objectivity into subjective projection).
An objective individual who has risen above the ego and its conditioning does not let any experience define themselves, whereas the ego assumes the experience helps define themselves (The I am the sum of my experiences kind of identity). The liberated individual realizes they are much more than any experience or any thought feeling and action. They like anyone can have an experience, a thought and or a feeling but they themselves do not take the totality of who they are and condense it to isolate its Self (liberated or enlightened Self) into any one experience, thought or feeling.., or any number of experiences thoughts or feelings.

True objectivity is the outcome of overriding the subjective ego.
In spiritual terms the word Satan is a Latin name for the ego, it's meaning being that the individual has been overcome by association to thoughts, feelings and experience leaving the personality to become enslaved by the past and the beliefs burdened by fear and projection, so that no experience is seen or experienced without subjective reference and distortion. This became the religious evil of today's Church and in itself a personality all its own to be feared by all of its members.

The goal of mystics and the direction the guru takes to liberate the ego burdened disciple is to enlighten the mind and the senses. Tho some believe the guru is forcing the student into expelling his or her individuality and assuming the guru's beliefs, it is quite the opposite. Individuality isn't abandoned, but rather enhanced to allow the individual to see beyond the attachment to conditioning by training the inner senses to balance individuality and its outer conditioned senses.

Most people have no problem with their self, and often feel they can't afford the larger perspective because it will compromise their personality and attachments in pride and opinion. But that is usually a statement that would be similar to someone stating they knew everything about sex before they ever had sex, because they read something about sex. Such statements are not based on experience but rather subjective experiences of making assumptions based on opinions. When a persons opinions can't be countered by argument one assumes the opinion is superior to the actual experience. wacko.gif
+Quote Post
waechter418
post Apr 01, 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 37911

Joesus, i am glad you are still on the path!

how about this one:

We can't get rid of a self that only exists as a point of view....all points of view or interpretations are empty of any thing, the self is always a phantom self since it only exists as a thought, or a point of reference, view.. The self arises in reference to where the attention is, be it on some object, sound, bodily sensation, or thought...all of which are empty. So in essence there is nothing actually here, there is only ever emptiness within which emerges a sense of self fullness which is really empty at it's core.

Everything springs from the silence and returns to the silence. The silence is like a constant presence - it doesn't move, go anywhere, or change, we can call this silence.. awareness or attention, There is no difference between the contents of silent awareness and awareness itself,they are each other one and the same thing, both are empty at the core. When we communicate with another person we are literally talking to nothing.

Attached to a point of reference is the belief there is something here, as in something seen, heard, felt, smelt, tasted, which become known experiences, which in turn spawn a knower. But there is no knower apart from the experience. There is nothing here having the experience of bodily sensations, thoughts, sounds, and objects seen, all empty of an experiencer. There is just 'what is' with or without the interpretation of it.

by "dontaskme"
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Apr 02, 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

QUOTE(waechter418 @ Apr 01, 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Joesus, i am glad you are still on the path!

how about this one:

We can't get rid of a self that only exists as a point of view....
The ego is a necessary construct. But then as you are going to contradict yourself further into your dialogue by saying there is no such thing anyway. You couldn't get rid of something that doesn't exist in the first place.. right? wink.gif

all points of view or interpretations are empty of any thing, the self is always a phantom self since it only exists as a thought, or a point of reference, view..

Relatively speaking, yes and no. Tho there is a technical reality that no thing exists, there is no such thing as nothing.
The self arises in reference to where the attention is, be it on some object, sound, bodily sensation, or thought...all of which are empty.

Not empty of the Self or Consciousness/silence in activity. But then nothing can arise when when nothing can exist as anything or no thing which is in turn empty. huh.gif
So in essence there is nothing actually here, there is only ever emptiness within which emerges a sense of self fullness which is really empty at it's core.
Not empty. Not full. Neti Neti.

Everything springs from the silence and returns to the silence. The silence is like a constant presence - it doesn't move, go anywhere, or change, we can call this silence.. awareness or attention, There is no difference between the contents of silent awareness and awareness itself,they are each other one and the same thing, both are empty at the core. When we communicate with another person we are literally talking to nothing.
If there was nothing, there is no we talking to nothing. You contradict yourself. wink.gif by the way the silence is not empty and it has no core. Ergo whatever rises out of that which is not empty cannot be empty. It has presence! cool.gif

Attached to a point of reference is the belief there is something here, as in something seen, heard, felt, smelt, tasted, which become known experiences, which in turn spawn a knower. But there is no knower apart from the experience. There is nothing here having the experience of bodily sensations, thoughts, sounds, and objects seen, all empty of an experiencer. There is just 'what is' with or without the interpretation of it.

by "dontaskme"

There is a subtle difference to the knower the known and the process of knowing, and.. nothing.
The ego as a construct is the middle ground between the silence, and (as you made reference to), the silence rising into activity and perception of activity. The silence or awareness is both inexplicably present within everything as well as vacant from solid form (according to modern physics being that every atom is 99.999% empty space). It's that .001% that is most interesting.

The ego as a construct (to stay on topic), becomes the master of awareness when ego becomes dominant over awareness, and the knower becomes the known, rather than remaining still and aware that it, (the silence/awareness/Self) is arising into thought and activity to create the relative world (the construct for awareness to reveal itself to its Self/awareness/silence).
Not exactly nothing. Without the relative world, the silence cannot be silence (or exist) and neither can anything come to terms such as "what is".
+Quote Post
haohao
post Apr 02, 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Awakening

Member No.: 38120

The concept-cored multi-leveled entity togehter made one human different from another, maybe one AI from another one. Our mind or ego is never scienced, but all the time working, just with sometimes highly active.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles