BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sense of Time, How can the sense of time be altered?? Can it be speeded up?
Yoder
post Jan 19, 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #1

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 31895

Just out of curiosity, are there any known nootropics, supplements, drugs, or foods that are known to speed up the sense of time in humans??
I know marijuana can slow the sense of time in some people, just curious as to if and what can speed it up.
Has this subject been studied much?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yoder
post Jan 19, 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Aspiring

...besides the obvious like marijuana, LSD, mushrooms, etc..

Also if anybody has any good reference/info about the sense of time in the brain or other relative info (like about the basal ganglia's relation to time sense) please hook me up!

Thanks!
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Jan 19, 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 4768

Sense of time has to do with information processing, the more unfamiliar and new information your brain has to process or the more bored it is, the slower time goes. Also in fight or flight time moves more slowly as your brain is processing every minute variation to determine the best course of action.

Mainly if your really enjoying something and very involved in it you dont notice the passage of time. Seems to be connected to emotional states.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jan 20, 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Jan 20, 2010, 04:23 AM) *

Sense of time has to do with information processing, the more unfamiliar and new information your brain has to process or the more bored it is, the slower time goes. Also in fight or flight time moves more slowly as your brain is processing every minute variation to determine the best course of action.

Mainly if your really enjoying something and very involved in it you dont notice the passage of time. Seems to be connected to emotional states.
Or, as they say, "Time flies when you're having fun."

Be careful though with pharmacological manipulations as they can lead to loss of conscious time and minutes lost are irretrievable minutes of your life. But then again, unconsciousness can bring dreams where time works somewhat differently. Maybe sleep then could be the best tool to manipulate time.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Jan 20, 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Jan 20, 2010, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Jan 20, 2010, 04:23 AM) *

Or, as they say, "Time flies when you're having fun."

Be careful though with pharmacological manipulations as they can lead to loss of conscious time and minutes lost are irretrievable minutes of your life. But then again, unconsciousness can bring dreams where time works somewhat differently. Maybe sleep then could be the best tool to manipulate time.

Also sex, drugs and rock-and-roll! All of them are good consciousness distractors, which in turn speed up time. But, be carefull what you ask for. I just don't see why you'd want to speed up time usnless, maybe, you're doing time!
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jan 20, 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

I, too, don't see why you'd want to speed up the passage of time. If you're bored, you can read something interesting. Psycho-active drugs can be loosely divided into the opposite categories of consciousness-diminishers and consciousness-enhancers. Generally, the consciousness diminishers (such as alcohol, barbiturates, and opiates) make time go by faster, with the opposite being true of the consciousness enhancers such as cannabis and LSD.

If you want 10 years to go by in a flash, start taking heroin. See The Naked Lunch by William Burroughs.
+Quote Post
Yoder
post Jan 20, 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Aspiring

Not really wanting to speed it up.. Just curious as to if it's possible and what would trigger it.
Although there probably would be a market for it if you could make a short-term pill. Hell, I would probably take it if it helped me get through a boring day of work or a wedding.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Jan 20, 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #8

Supreme God

"...if you’re in love then time doesn’t exist. If you’re having a good time, it flies. If you’re having deadlines then you start to think, “I’m running out of time.” If you’re bored you say, “Time is dragging.” If you’re in a very anxious situation, then time takes forever. Time is the way we measure our experience. In the deeper domains where there is unity consciousness, time doesn’t exist. Time is the movement of thought. It separates the observer from the observed when in the deepest reality, the observer and the observed, the seer and the scenery, the lover and the beloved… they’re all the same consciousness..."

Deepak Chopra, MD

http://www.pr.com/article/1084
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jan 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(code buttons @ Jan 20, 2010, 06:34 PM) *
I just don't see why you'd want to speed up time usnless, maybe, you're doing time!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Yoder
post Jan 20, 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #10

Aspiring

QUOTE(code buttons @ Jan 20, 2010, 02:28 PM) *

"...if you’re in love then time doesn’t exist. If you’re having a good time, it flies. If you’re having deadlines then you start to think, “I’m running out of time.” If you’re bored you say, “Time is dragging.” If you’re in a very anxious situation, then time takes forever. Time is the way we measure our experience. In the deeper domains where there is unity consciousness, time doesn’t exist. Time is the movement of thought. It separates the observer from the observed when in the deepest reality, the observer and the observed, the seer and the scenery, the lover and the beloved… they’re all the same consciousness..."

Deepak Chopra, MD

http://www.pr.com/article/1084

Nice!
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jan 21, 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #11

God

Member No.: 25755

roofies!
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jan 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #12

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Consciousness is good and more is better, so down with downers!
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Jan 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #13

Supreme God

QUOTE(Phi @ Jan 21, 2010, 12:15 PM) *

roofies!

Or reefers!
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jan 22, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #14

God

or both?!
+Quote Post
monicasharma
post Mar 21, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 32507

“Moderation is the center wherein all philosophies, both human and divine, meet.”
+Quote Post
Phi
post Mar 22, 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #16

God

ok, dmt vs roofies...
+Quote Post
Phi
post Mar 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #17

God

ok, drugs vs control of mind states through practice
+Quote Post
Wiily
post Nov 08, 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 33197

QUOTE(Yoder @ Jan 19, 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Just out of curiosity, are there any known nootropics, supplements, drugs, or foods that are known to speed up the sense of time in humans??
I know marijuana can slow the sense of time in some people, just curious as to if and what can speed it up.
Has this subject been studied much?

I agree with you Yoder. It has been proven that marijuana slows down time. My neighbor has tested it and he said it about this effect. But I really don't know what kind of nootropics, supplements, drugs, or foods that speeds up the sense of time. Maybe a stimulant drug which makes heartbeat faster which make the sense of time faster..??
+Quote Post
Phi
post Nov 10, 2010, 02:00 AM
Post #19

God

Keeping busy with meeting deadlines works pretty well
+Quote Post
Madness
post Jun 03, 2013, 03:43 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 35147

Time Warped: Unlocking the Mysteries of Time Perception - Claudia Hammond is a decent immersion point.
+Quote Post
evita123
post Jan 12, 2014, 04:46 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 35194

I'd assume that it would have something to do with concentration because when you're focused on something time goes faster.. Hm.
+Quote Post
AstroLad02
post Oct 31, 2014, 04:35 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 37404

Who would hear me conjecture my theories on time-dilation.

In which the perceiving of time being anything but, remains impossible for the perceptive one, who knows nothing other-than their own perspective.

To see beyond the sensory? That's impossible. To feel. That's more like it. How do we think we see? How do we see? If it's what you can perceive, is there more to it than the processing of electrical impulses? And if so. The feeling of and perception of time could only be noticeable in the instance of change. Being the speed and mode of thought on which our brains operate.

The parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system, which both excite and relax our physical bodies may play a role in the dilation of time-sense.

The memory related to sensory stimulation is scientifically noted to remain in our consciousness for only a split second.

This is how I feel dreams are perceived, and is what permits such phenomenon to feel so strange at times.

What I think we might be discussing. Would be the internal equivalent of the Doppler-Effect. Why?

When you fixate on a moving object, it becomes clear. Within reasonable speeds. However, fixate on a distant object and the moving object becomes a motion-blur.

How about reading? How are you so sure you read what I wrote as it was written? Read it again.
+Quote Post
Jacobie
post Nov 11, 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 38419

Meditation?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 04:55 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles