+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jan 12, 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

Interesting concept!
And no doubt the total would be greater than the parts.

I've never come across any written material even close to achieving a mathematical model, but I had a bash several years ago to draw a flow chart which attempted to show the processes and linkages involved in at least some of the brains processes (or functions).
It ended up as a big picture, was incomplete, probably too simplistic and erroneous and became so complicated that I could not understand it!
Needless to say, I shelved the idea.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Jan 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #3

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4768

If I remember correctly there is a project in Switzerland which aims to create an artificial intelligence with the same capacity as a human brain.

The reason why they have not done so already is because the costs associated with doing so are enormous but by 2010 the price will be affordable. So in the future, we could expect to see very powerful forms of artificial intelligence.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post May 22, 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Aspiring

Member No.: 22853

I think this might be the closest we've gone to creating a mathematical model of the brain. Creating a artificial brain through a supercomputer.
seedmagazine . com / news / 2008 / 03 / out_of_the_blue . php?page=all&p=y

+Quote Post
Bryce Lewis
post Jul 02, 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 25211

i dunno about that.

1) we don't understand the brain fully enough to even begin mapping out what inputs would amount to a certain behavioral changes

2) The idea is still being tossed around that the brain is a quantum mechanical object, that we can think of and evaluate unlimited amounts of concepts in the same instant.

3) to create an artificial brain equivalent to the human brain based on current technology, we'd probably have to use optic cables and microchips with electrons traveling in narrow valleys. I read a while back that we hit a barrier when it comes to how small to make these "electron highways" because the size of the electron creates spillover after a certain point. it limits the size of a microchip to only so small and only capable of processing a certain amount of information. Plus, processors as we know must make one calculation based on the previous one, and we are unsure if this accurately resembles the processes of the brain
+Quote Post
fmdays
post Aug 05, 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 26985

brand-new member here... not allowed to post urls yet, so can't link to this, but funny, just saw this the other day. I'm sure you can find the actual article easily enough if you are interested.

"In an effort to promote the application of mathematics to medical treatment, researchers in the University of Pittsburgh's Department of Mathematics will undertake a $2.5 million project to create models of how the brain and immune system function and change over time in response to certain illnesses, infections, and treatment. The models are intended to help doctors better understand and predict the possible short- and long-term responses of their patient's body to treatment."

+Quote Post
BrainStim
post Sep 02, 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 18263

I'm not quite sure what you mean by mathematical model but researchers are working on computer simulations and neuromorphic chips to model the brain.

One researcher has already done a computer simulation of the brain. This is different than the blue brain simulation.

human brain simulation

Large-Scale Model of Mammalian Thalamocortical Systems

On October 27, 2005 I finished simulation of a model that has the size of the human brain. The model has 100,000,000,000 neurons (hundred billion or 10^11) and almost 1,000,000,000,000,000 (one quadrillion or 10^15) synapses. It represents 300x300 mm^2 of mammalian thalamo-cortical surface, specific, non-specific, and reticular thalamic nuclei, and spiking neurons with firing properties corresponding to those recorded in the mammalian brain.

The US military is attempting to create a cat level intelligence in a neuromorphic chip.

See this website for more info.

The HRL team's ultimate goal is to build a low-power, compact electronic chip combining a novel analog circuit design and a neuroscience-inspired architecture that can address a wide range of cognitive abilities--perception, planning, decision making, and motor control.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles