Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Education in Neuroscience
Treshan
post Mar 05, 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4923

This is my first question/topic here. I'm actually posting this here since I thought that probably most people involved in neuroscience might be also doing something related in their studies or career. And also because this is the only place that I found so far where I can ask this. smile.gif

I am finishing highschool and I'm also considering to study the wide field of neurosciences in university, especially in research. Formally, I know that many faculties can lead to neuroscientific research: Biochemistry, Medicine, Psychology, even Philosophy etc. but I'm also aware that there are new undergraduate courses named Neuroscience itself, which consist of really interesting programmes from a variety of fields (Neuroinformatics, Cognitive Science, etc. and everything with the prefix "Neuro-").

Unluckily, I found this kind of specific undergraduate courses only in the USA and UK, and unluckily, I am too late to apply to university in those countries (most application deadlines were in January).
I live in Europe (Italy) and our universities don't offer specific undergrad courses such as Neuroscience. Thus, I would like to ask what you could suggest me to study, in order to enter the world of the brain.

The specific areas of research that appeal me for now are Neuroprosthetics, but I also have an interest for the connection between neuroscience and philosophical/theological issues, which are often subject of debate also on this forum, as I notice ^^ Daniel Dennett for example is a philosopher of science, but I'd like to know what else could lead me to the field other than the "abstract" subjects.

A topic like neuroprosthetics would usually require something like biotechnology, I guess, but I'm not very sure about it. I don't think I would survive medical education, probably because that would mean plenty of years before entering real neuroscience. What about biochemical/biomedical engineering?

I would also really, really appreciate if you know any university in the world (where I can still apply this year) that offers courses similar to those I mentioned above (e.g. Neuroscience in UK/USA) - I'd be ready to study in Italian, English, German and French.

I know, this topic almost assumes the tone of a guidance counseling request, but I just want to know the opinions of neuroscience experts. smile.gif

Thanks a lot in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Mar 05, 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #2

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

US News and World Report may be useful:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rank...index_brief.php
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=us+ne...G=Google+Search

My advice is not to focus solely on neuroscience at too young age. That's what graduate school is for.

And if you make it there, most of the philosophizing you'll be doing will probably be over a couple of beers with coworkers/friends.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 04:43 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles