post Aug 02, 2012, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

Health is Wealth: Prevention, Fitness and Strength

Source: http://www.oftwominds.com/blogaug12/exerciseA8-12.html

by Charles Hugh Smith

Today we start a multi-day series on improving health via prevention, fitness and strength.
Longtime readers know that I consider health (physical and mental) the key attribute of wealth and prosperity. Without health, then what good is your other "wealth"?

Readers also know that I consider "a healthy home-cooked meal a revolutionary act" because the Status Quo encourages chronic disease and ill-health. Why? 1) managing these conditions is immensely and enduringly profitable to the sickcare cartels and 2) weak, sickly, drugged-out citizens are easily manipulated politically and are too overwhelmed by their multiple chronic health issues to actively challenge the Status Quo.

I know that this sounds inflammatory to many of you, but for whatever reason oftwominds.com has attracted a very large readership of physicians, nurses and other caregivers, and the people who work in the trenches of the sickcare system are inevitably supportive of these "inflammatory" summations.

Sickcare is not sustainable financially, and so it will devolve and collapse, along with other unsustainable systems. I expect healthcare to slowly revert to cash-only if you want immediate care, with all other care becoming increasingly unavailable. Therefore prevention will be the key to well-being going forward, not hyper-expensive care that costs $100,000 for a few days of treatment.

In all my diverse reading about the science of human health, a few "obvious" things pop out.

1) Humans have a remarkable ability to prosper on a variety of real foods.
2) Processed foods are associated with "modern" diseases.
3) Chronic inactivity, stress and a diet of processed foods are associated with chronic inflammation.
4) Chronic inflammation is associated with a number of chronic diseases.
5) The only "miracle drug" is regular exercise combined with sleep, which is associated with exercise, good nutrition and stress reduction.
6) The mind and body are one. Mental health and physical health are related.

We cannot stave off all disease, of course, and many of us will need surgery or other major intervention regardless of our diet and fitness levels, but the point is that fitness and a common-sense diet of real, unprocessed foods make up about 2/3 of our "health metric" with genetics and the environment contributing perhaps a third.

The 80/20 rule may apply here (Pareto Distribution): achieving 20% of what's possible may reap 80% of the gain. For example, being able to jog 2 miles may reap 80% of the gain, while running 10 miles yields a diminishing health return and may even damage older runners.

This is of course inexact, but that's the rough proportions.

Increasing strength may provide an example of this: relatively infrequent short-duration intense exercise seems to increase strength and maintain it without daily workouts. In other words, it doesn't take much time to significantly improve one's strength.

Longtime correspondent Steve R. recently shared his own experiences with increasing muscular strength. Here is Steve's report:

Summary
"Over about six weeks, I increased my overall muscular strength by 35%, by doing nothing more than a total of four 12-minute, very-intense workouts.

Background

Over the past couple of years, I have been reading that much of the effort that most people put into exercise is wasted or even counter-productive, because they are missing the key ingredients of intensity and rest. The evidence coming into focus for me was that high intensity interval training (H.I.I.T.) was the quickest, most effective path toward cardiovascular fitness.

Long ago, I had learned that adequate rest is essential for weight training: i.e., never exercising any given muscle group more often than once per week. Recently, I ran across the book Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week (McGuff and Little), which presents a strong case for a 12-minute-only strength training workout, with about 7-10 days of rest between trips to the gym. I know it sounds crazy, but the authors back it up with their knowledge of physiology, their understanding of evolution, tons of studies, and their own clinical experiences (they are both trainers). The results I got are typical of their customers.

The Workout

The workout consists of one 60-90-second set of each of five core exercises (leg press, underhand pulldown, overhead press, seated row, and chest press), moving from machine to machine as quickly as possible (no more than 30 seconds between machines). Each set is performed super-slow (6-10 seconds up; 6-10 seconds down) to prevent momentum cheating, and the weight should be chosen so that you "go to failure" (i.e., at the end of each set, you can't possibly do another rep). Doing the math shows that each set consists of about 5 reps. Only five sets of only five reps, for the entire workout, sounds easy, but trust me, the intensity near the end will kick your butt.

Measuring My Results

I was careful to "compare apples to apples" when determining my gains. In other words, I didn't do fluff workouts early on in order to pad the results. The data show consistent 9% gains between successive 100%-effort workouts. I am very confident that the numbers are correct and that the gains are legitimate.

Simplified Theory

The body adapts to an increased demand put upon it so that it can better meet that demand in the future. The idea is to give it a strong stimulus, followed by plenty of time to let it recover back to baseline, plus a small amount of growth. Experiments show that it takes 7-10 days for optimal growth to occur, much like the time the body needs to heal a cut. Resting less than 7 days thwarts the body's efforts to repair itself, like ripping a scab off before the cut is fully healed, leading to poor results, more injuries, and perhaps chronic stress. My average rest was 11 days."

This was very interesting to me on a number of fronts, and I replied thusly:

"Thank you for sharing your experience--it confirms my own intuitive sense of what works, as I tend to do pushups and sit-ups several times a week with biking and running interspersed throughout the week. I keep track and was surprised that a week between pushups did not really degrade the number I can do in one set (36).
In terms of natural selection, this also makes sense. Hunters would more than likely only need bursts of strength or speed occasionally, and the body would thus maximize to occasional strength-building, as expending calories daily just to maintain muscle mass would be very ‘costly’ in evolutionary terms—why burn valuable calories unless there was a big yield?"

Steve added these comments on the natural-selection context:

"I think you're dead-on with your thoughts on natural selection. That seems to be the consensus among the top exercise people I listen to. Our ancestors probably didn't look like body builders, because like you said, excess muscle is too costly in terms of precious calories. This also dovetails with the emerging theory that traditional "cardio", especially too much, may actually be harmful. There are lots of people on the Amazon review/comment section for Body By Science that say something like, "Aerobics ruined my knees" or similar. It seems that short bursts of high-intensity exercise are the most effective. And I think for most people, distance running is very harmful - especially marathoners."
Thank you, Steve for sharing your experiences. I agree with Steve about "overdoing it." In typical American fashion (or is it human nature as well?), some people get obsessed with diet, fitness, etc. and go to extraordinary lengths, many of which end up being harmful simply because they are excessive.

The "middle path" may be the way to go in terms of fitness and prevention.

To give you a taste of what is possible in fitness as we age, here is a video clip of an 86-year woman performing a parallel-bars routine.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
alisha99
post Aug 20, 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #2

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34366

Well said that health is wealth. You share very good post. I'll definitely share this with my friends.
+Quote Post
aremwellness
post Sep 03, 2012, 05:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 34484

thankx for sharing this informative note smile.gif
+Quote Post
guenevere99
post Sep 21, 2012, 02:14 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 34539

Nice post. Thanks for sharing this post. Healthy living is smart living. If you don't feel healthy then you can not enjoy your life.
+Quote Post
shanewatson384
post Dec 03, 2012, 02:24 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 34598

Our Health Is Wealth: Health Alerts will help you live healthy.
+Quote Post
Anne`s fine
post Dec 04, 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #6

Aspiring

Member No.: 34715

QUOTE(shanewatson384 @ Dec 03, 2012, 06:24 PM) *

Our Health Is Wealth: Health Alerts will help you live healthy.

hi
i`m new member,too
there is no doubt health is wealth.
and i wonder the way you or guys in you country keep healthy.
i`m chinese ,born in China,grow up in china ,educated in china and now work in china。usually,i take rice for 2-3 meals one day,sometimes other food for breakfast.
rice rice rice........
+Quote Post
helinbert
post May 29, 2013, 02:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 35146

The healthy body and its maintenance is basically depends upon the food we eat. The food must contain necessary proteins, carbohydrates and all the nutrients required for our body. Other wise, we have to face many health problems. The fitness and health of the person depends mostly on the condition of the brain and then next to the entire body.The meditation is the best practice for keeping these both healthy and fit. Taking an hour daily for meditation keeps us away from many problems and we will be stable and also healthy.

+Quote Post
matthewebbert
post May 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #8

Aspiring

Member No.: 35004

That's really nice post.. i really like the tips which you have shared of workout.. very good informative article..
+Quote Post
Ruthen
post Jun 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 35187

This article couldn't be more correct. It's all about choices, Make the choice to be healthier by exercising regularly and eating right. Health has no substitute, it is most important thing for human.

Lakewood personal trainer
+Quote Post
matthewebbert
post Jul 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #10

Aspiring

Member No.: 35004

Health is fundamental to Life and leads to the creation of Wealth. A healthy person can work with efficiency to earn wealth. Healthy body is always dependent on the healthy mind. For maintaining good health everybody should always be away from the bad habits.Then only anybody can maintain his health.
+Quote Post
Dexter
post Aug 02, 2013, 03:24 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 35141

Health is wealth because with out of the health we cant properly any work in the life so we should be eating the healthier food for keep good fitness and the health.Some tips here for keep good health like,...
Exercise work
Yoga
Morning walk
Proper sleep
Avoid the smoking...
+Quote Post
Justin Garner
post Jan 07, 2014, 02:39 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 36922

A healthy person can work with efficiency to earn wealth. The man who is not having a good health spends lot of money on medicines and doctors. He is never cheer­ful. Which in itself is a wealth? But we have to take precautions for building up a good health. Healthy body is always dependent on the healthy mind. For maintaining good health we should always be away from the bad habits like smoking, drinking and drug addiction. We should have morning walk regularly, light exercise in fresh air and a stroll after dinner. We should not be jealous of others. We should always take balanced and nutritious diet. One should always develop the habits of cleanliness to keep healthy.
+Quote Post
Halden
post Jan 10, 2014, 03:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 36937

Great link sharing and agree with you that health is wealth and to attain this wealth, engage yourself in regular physical activities and watch what you eat. Break meals in small frequent meals, add fruits and vegetables more in your daily meals and avoid eating late.
Toplevelfit Fitness
+Quote Post
fadric
post Sep 06, 2014, 01:07 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 37344

Some exercises are necessary for losing weight by naturally, if you want to loss weight then you must be try Garcinia cambogia Australia best weight loss pills to get rid from overweight and extra fats.
+Quote Post
Danny
post Nov 04, 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 37421

good post shared thanx
+Quote Post
Danny
post Nov 05, 2014, 12:09 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 37421

thanx for sharing that good post
+Quote Post
alexturner
post Nov 06, 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 37424

hi fadric.
thanks for this valuable information. but really i wanted to know that, is all these tablets are free from side effects ? i just wandering any easy equipment or device by which one can easily reduce the tummy fat by putting less efforts and attention. i will be waiting for reply. if anyone have some idea about it then pls share.
+Quote Post
alexturner
post Nov 09, 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #18

hey fadric.

i had been searching for a home based exercise equipment. then i came to know about from a website about tummy fat reduction exercise tool. that was named as PLANK 360. Please review that and tell me whether it would be a right thing to buy or i have to try some other products.
+Quote Post
Adam Addison
post Nov 10, 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 37432

Yes guys you are right Health is Wealth. People who are fat and want to lose weight without any exercise, then use Green Coffee Beans Australia because it's made up of pure coffee beans and had no any kind of side effect and lose weight within weeks. You can buy it anywhere from Australia.
+Quote Post
alexturner
post Nov 11, 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #20

yes absolutely everyone can make a try, however in my last post i ask a query about PLANK - 360. i concerned with my physician regarding this. he tell me that its a good equipment. i can save my time and use it even at my home. i ordered it and using it from 2 days. it is really awesome means it takes very less efforts to core workout. hope i will reduce my some tummy fat with it. have a look on it and give your reviews.
+Quote Post
Goarge William
post Mar 09, 2015, 03:58 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 37592

If you want to get good health and good mind, then you should take a healthy diet and take some exercises which can give you a healthy body and healthy mind and a healthy mind and body will give you success in your life.
+Quote Post
Jhon Carter
post Apr 02, 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 37630

I am totally agree with this quote that "Health is Wealth". To do anything in our life it is important that we are healthy. A healthy person can do everything in their life.
+Quote Post
asad shah
post Apr 14, 2015, 02:15 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 37646

Health is Wealth try to Eat clean, Sleep well and Do Exercise Daily. It is Necessary for you to stay Healthy.
+Quote Post
oceanwild
post Jul 14, 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 37757

thx for the post. I take supplement every week.
+Quote Post
oceanwild
post Jul 15, 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #25

totally, agreed with that.
+Quote Post
oceanwild
post Jul 15, 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #26

totally, agreed with that. cheers.
+Quote Post
Caroline332
post Jul 26, 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 37668

I do believe in your idea and it's really a joy to read your post. Health is really important and important than everything. Nowadays, people are spending less and less time doing sports, ignoring their health. We will pay for it if we don't take good care of our bodies.
Caroline
wwwdotcreativebiomartdotnet
+Quote Post
rsaad da
post Sep 28, 2015, 02:24 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 37914

Clean and healthy food is necessary to increase the strength of body . Healthy diet is necessary for sound body and sound mind and also should take exercise regularly .
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 04:51 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles