Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frame Games By Dr. Michael Hall, A Look At Psychology And Neuroscience
maximus242
post Sep 04, 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #1

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 4768

Has anyone read Frame Games (Recently republished as Winning The Inner Game) by Dr. Michael Hall?

Its a fascinating look at psychology that anyone who is into neuroscience will enjoy. He goes into how we structure information on a psychological level, our interpretations, meaning making, etc.

The interesting thing is that it is a model for all perception and psychology. What I find most fascinating about it is how it seems to connect with the neuroscience model. Its hard to explain but the way he has created this "Meta-Model" of psychology is very in tune with theories of how the human brain works.

For example, he talks about the way we feed back information we interpret and make interpretations about our interpretations

I.E. I like chocolate -> liking chocolate is bad because it will make me fat -> feeling bad about liking chocolate is good -> I feel bad about feeling good about feeling bad about liking chocolate because I still want it

And so on.

It creates a psychological complex. The basic core of the book is that our perceptions govern our actions. If you change the set of perceptions or frames you have, then you change the actions.

This is interesting to me because it connects to neuroscience in the way a error correction feedback loop works. Change the stimulus and you change the response.

However what michael hall is saying is that if you change the Frame/Perception, you change the response. This would be interesting to look at how this would work on a neurological level.

For example Stimulus -> Response -> Error Feedback -> Correction ->

Thats the gist of how it is normally

However the strange thing is you can cause dramatic change in response, as opposed to the usual smaller changes via error correction by changing the perception. What I think is happening is its causing the stimulus to go down a different track of neurological responses

For example if you change your perception of chocolate from liking it to being disgusted by it, then I think it goes down a different path of neurological response. Just like how if you change something from being safe to being dangerous.

Example. Child touches cold stove, not dangerous - so then the not dangerous neurology is activated. However if the child then touches a hot stove, an entirely different set of neurology is activated.

So if we change our interpretations of something in the Cerebral cortex, this can then change the set of neurological responses to that thing. The reason for this is The Cerebral cortex is responsible for interpretation, which then causes other areas of the brain to activate. For example The cerebral cortex interprets the stove as dangerous, which then causes the medulla oblongata to be activated and leads out the fight or flight response.

I think this could possibly play a role in changing addiction recovery. I recall one incident Mr. Hall had where a child asked her father to stop smoking, he said he couldn't, to which she replied... "But Daddy I want you to be there when I get M-A-R-R-I-E-D" to which the little girl essentially pulled his heartstrings and he never smoked again.

His perception of the smoking had changed thus activating a different pattern of neurological response. Anyways, what do you think of this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 06:33 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles