BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why I think non-idiopathic brain growth MIGHT be possible post-adolescence, Why I think non-idiopathic brain growth MIGHT be possible post-adolescence
Mythos
post Apr 08, 2017, 04:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 38577

To start off with I'm merely a longtime follower of neuroscience research, and I have no formal education in anything relating to neurology. So don't take what I write here too seriously, however if someone would point out the reasons why I'm wrong and not just accuse me of being lunatic, that would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the reasons for why I believe non-idiopathic brain volume increase could maybe be possible post teenage years:

1. The sutures are much more rigid in the adult skull, so the reason why we see so little (if any) growth during this time may simply be because of dimensional limitations.

2. Brain growth is directly linked with prenatal exposure to circulating sex hormones.

3. Circulating hormones have a direct effect on adult brain structure.

4. In a small study, changes in brain volume was found for both FtM and MtF transexuals undergoing hormone therapy for 4 months.

More volume change was found for MtF than FtM and I speculate this is because of the two following reasons:
a ) Skull dimensions limiting growth.
b ) Gain in volume should be expected to be slower than loss in volume, and is more limited by things like bodily nutrients being available aswell as other health reasons.

5. Intracranial Hypertension is present in acromegaly patients. Height is correlated with brain volume, and height is directly correlated with human growth hormone levels. We also know that the brain has HGH receptors and these could possibly have an effect on the overall brain volume.

6. Testosterone Replacement Therapy has now been linked to brain damage in caucasian males. This is a long shot (actually, this whole post is), but could this brain damage arise from the brain growing, but because of dimensional limitations this growth results in brain damage, similar to how infants with untreated Craniosynostosis get brain damage (this is much much more severe, of course), but to a different degree?

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haohao
post Apr 09, 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #2

Awakening

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 38120

Hello Mythos! Welcome to this forum for the academical discussion. I'm not a Professor, and hope I could provide some suggestive opinions.

1. If the MtF means male to female, FtM means female to male, HGH means human Growth Hormone, then in my opinion, the smilar-normal-state brain volume increase is possible for any time of a person and the brain volume change might happen in any time for one person. Our volume of our brains is not limited to the physical dimentions of our brain structures but actually accord with them. The real factors deciding our brain volume are the interactions of our cells and the surrounding environment. One evidence is that a child could have bigger volume than an average level of his or her age. As to the post-teenagers, the real factors deciding our brain volumes are stil the interactions of our cells and the surrounding environment, and just in some circumstances, the physical dimentions of our brain structures may work in some way. Therefoe, “Height is correlated with brain volume”, but the height is not the key factor related with the brain volume change. If you want to research the factors deciding the brain volume, then you might need the researching outcomes of the neuro-signaling transmission subsystem of the brain functioning.

2. The brain volume might not be directed with the human Intelligence. The brain functioning of our brains is important. That's why I have pulished my theories on the Internet.

3. "Experience is one way to show your interest and span for the research, which has no direct links with the innovation and best practices. In my opinion, the continuing ability-based performance with interest is the key and the related recognition is important. I thought the essence of the education was the life-long learning and improvements, in which the so-called formal and regular education should be changed into the intensive and flexible learning aiming for the ability-based performances. To be a real intelligence neuroscientist or cognitive neuroscientist, you might need specialized ability-based performance and fund-included web-platform instead of a doctoral degree or post-doctoral medical background, or some professional training certificates or qualifications. "Learning and improving oneself is a life-long course. To be earnest, degrees and diplomas or occupational certificates or qualifications, even the web courses are totally not necessary to the research, even in the future. Internet, specialized e-contents and the interest for the research, including the practicing and webforum, is necessary." from one poster in this forum.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles