BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> God Is In The Magic Mushrooms, Psychedelic drugs could be very good for your mind, heart, soul. Can you believe?
Hey Hey
post Aug 07, 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #1

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 845

http://sfgate.com/columnists/morford/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BatineAcid
post Aug 07, 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5463

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Aug 07, 01:48 PM) *

Interesting article. I personally use Psilocybe sp. mushrooms as a sort of mental, physical, and spiritual cleansing. I never would have thought that I would ever consume the "magic mushrooms" that I had always heard about growing up in a serious manner until the first time I ingested them. As a student of chemistry, my mind was inundated by ideas of how this tryptamine-containing mushroom could possibly have such a profound effect on every aspect of my perception. The clarity of thought, the absolute dissolution of internal barriers, opened up so many new paths of thought. The mushroom experience truly connects one to onself, others, and one's environment. I have never felt as conscious, sober, and awake and appreciated so much as the hours after a psilocybin experience. And like the article states, these same understandings have been consistent throughout at least thousands of years of human ritualist use, not to mention the fact that even animals like mountain goats are known to eat them and proceed for hours to almost dance from rock to rock on the side of hills and mountains. Who knows how long the mammal-mushroom relationship has truely gone on. I believe there are even evolutionary implications of the existence of psilocybin containing mushrooms, including communication encouragement.
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Aug 07, 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

My conclusion, having read the article is that anyone who has 'mind blowing' experiences after taking psylocybin (or any other psychedelic drug) would have the same experience if they took the 'right' antidepressant*.

I make this statement based on my own experience of taking about 15 types of AD's for depression.
Again, I just wish that writers would state just what these 'spiritual' experiences are.
I could easily call some of my experiences 'spiritual', but realise that just because they are amazing, unexpected and surprising does not mean that they are 'spiritual'.
The human brain when not working optimally, but accepted in its performance as the norm (ie., the same as everybody elses experiences in similar circumstances), is presumed to be supercharged when it starts working optimally (ie., the same as everybody elses experiences in similar circumstances).

*everyone reacts differently to different AD's. It requires experimentation to find the right AD per person.
This is not meant to be a critique on psylocybin; it's just a reflection of my own thoughts.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 07, 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Supreme God

agree with all said, rhymer.

strange time - moody blues - same effect.
+Quote Post
BatineAcid
post Aug 07, 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5463

QUOTE(rhymer @ Aug 07, 06:19 PM) *

My conclusion, having read the article is that anyone who has 'mind blowing' experiences after taking psylocybin (or any other psychedelic drug) would have the same experience if they took the 'right' antidepressant*.

I make this statement based on my own experience of taking about 15 types of AD's for depression.
Again, I just wish that writers would state just what these 'spiritual' experiences are.
I could easily call some of my experiences 'spiritual', but realise that just because they are amazing, unexpected and surprising does not mean that they are 'spiritual'.
The human brain when not working optimally, but accepted in its performance as the norm (ie., the same as everybody elses experiences in similar circumstances), is presumed to be supercharged when it starts working optimally (ie., the same as everybody elses experiences in similar circumstances).

*everyone reacts differently to different AD's. It requires experimentation to find the right AD per person.
This is not meant to be a critique on psylocybin; it's just a reflection of my own thoughts.

I disagree completely, based on my experience with anti-depressants. I've tried four different anti-depressants over a period of 5 years. I also think antidepressants are completely irrelevant to the discussion. If you have never tried a tryptamine psychedelic such as psilocybin, like the article said, you will never understand. It is impossible to put into words the spiritual aspect, as it is intrinsic in the effects of the chemical's interaction with your brain. The rapid expansion of thought and completely unique perspective on everything is completely different than the effects of SSRI, SSNRI, and MAOI antidepressants. On top of that, psilocybin only requires one dose, lasting 4 hours, where as antidepressants require continuous dosing, etc, and usually aren't effective for several days or weeks.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Aug 07, 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(BatineAcid @ Aug 07, 03:03 PM) *

I disagree completely...

I agree to disagree completely with Rhymer. If that were the case, why are antidepressants legal? I was too young when I had my LSD experiences to think about anything other than party when I took it. So I never even try to have a spiritual experience. But I can understand how the door of opportunity for such experiences can open wide with LSD. LSD plays with your mind for 10 hours in a way impossible to duplicate or even remotely imitate with any legal man-made chemical compound out there. I've never taken anti-depressents in my life other than Xanax a couple of times for recreational purposes, and on both ocassions the only effect was that I fell asleep very comfortably for 10 hours.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 07, 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Supreme God

QUOTE(BatineAcid @ Aug 08, 12:03 AM) *

On top of that, psilocybin only requires one dose, lasting 4 hours, where as antidepressants require continuous dosing, etc, and usually aren't effective for several days or weeks.

you need to read more on antidepressants, of which there are numerous types, often working on different pathways. yes, usually the antidepressant effect takes weeks to reach an acceptable status, but we aren't talking about the antidepressant effect here ..... are we?

and try ECT (an antidepressant, though not a pharmaceutical in the usual sense), that in most cases has rather an immediate effect!
+Quote Post
egodeath
post Aug 08, 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

The Entheogen Theory of Religion and Ego Death

The entheogen theory of religion holds that the main origin and ongoing wellspring of religion is visionary plants, such as Psilocybe mushrooms, Peyote, Ayahuasca combinations, Salvia divinorum, Cannabis, Opium, Henbane, Datura, Mandrake, Belladonna, ergot, and Amanita mushrooms.

Visionary plants have been commonly used around the world throughout the history of religion and culture (Hofmann, Schultes, & Ratsch 1992), including in the various forms of Western Esotericism (Heinrich 1994). Greek and Christian mythic-religious systems often refer to visionary plants (Ruck, Staples, & Heinrich 2001). Leading mystics throughout the history of various religions have used on-demand, visionary-plant sessions with rationality-oriented mystic-state experiencing (Merkur 2001).

Meditation, shamanic drumming, and liturgical ritual were developed as activities to do in the plant-induced dissociative state, not as methods of inducing the dissociative state in the first place.

http://egodeath.com/EntheogenTheoryOfReligion.htm
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 08, 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #9

Supreme God

QUOTE(egodeath @ Aug 09, 02:34 AM) *

The entheogen theory of religion holds that the main origin and ongoing wellspring of religion is visionary plants, such as Psilocybe mushrooms, Peyote, Ayahuasca combinations, Salvia divinorum, Cannabis, Opium, Henbane, Datura, Mandrake, Belladonna, ergot, and Amanita mushrooms.
http://egodeath.com/EntheogenTheoryOfReligion.htm

That and schizophrenia.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 09, 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #10

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Schizophrenia is distinct from psychedelic ("entheogen") experience, and highly undesirable.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 09, 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #11

Supreme God

QUOTE(Rick @ Aug 09, 07:07 PM) *

Schizophrenia is distinct from psychedelic ("entheogen") experience, and highly undesirable.

Schizophrenics commonly have religious visions, delusions and experiences:

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?D...81&PageID=10054

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=Abstract

Some believe that schizophrenic experiences gave rise to religious beliefs in humans.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Aug 09, 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #12

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Leave it to the medical establishment to associate delusional states with spirituality.

Psychiatrists initially thought that the psychedelics mimiced psychosis (hence the false terms "psychotomimetic" (along with the other false term "hallucinogen")), but that erroneous view has long been debunked. Schizophrenia is distinct from psychedelia, despite some superficial similarities to outside observers.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Sep 19, 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #13

God

Member No.: 5681

Hi, I believe that God really is in Magic Mushrooms, doesn't all religion say that God is everywhere and in everything? Mushrooms are the phallus of the mycelium network underground. Mycelium grows throughout soil and such like a spiders web, an intelligent spiders web. The Sun (light) sexually arouses the mycelium when it breaks though the soil. I say sexually because all you need to do is look at a mushroom and you will see it is a rudimentary phallus, one that carries the spores (seeds). It is a very basic form of life that creates huge super structures like our sky-scrapers, and its only function is to spread its seed.

The change of substrate from earth to air is the cause for the stimulation, and its this breaking through from one substrate to another that has always been seen as sacred. It is the reason that the Lotus is also sacred. That plant grows in the soil, grows up through the water and flowers on the surface. Our scientific achievements are all about rising up through our atmosphere or down through our oceans, it is the same process.

"power plants" were used as a sacrament in almost every religion, and a lot of the most potent hallucinogens, are still used in various organisations with legal protection. Eastern meditation has at its heart the message that everything is one, and all material reality is an illusion. From the dissolving of Ego one can experience the Divine from the piece that is sitting right behind their own eyes. Mushrooms and LSD are known for inducing spiritual states and the feeling that everything is one. Is it just a co-incidence?

Whatever you believe just remember that magic mushrooms are really a huge sky scraping phallus from one of Gods tiny creations. Anything that effects your mind gives you another view of the Divine behind your eyes. There is a lot of evidence that ancient cave art was inspired by these altered states and that religious belief and evolution was pushed along by the spirit within us and everything, including mushrooms and our Sun.

So I believe you ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
cerebral
post Sep 19, 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #14

Overlord

Group: Full Member
Member No.: 957

dude, you live in a phallus-centric universe.

But there's more than phalluses to it.

And LSD is purely synthetic. Has nothing to do with phalluses or mushrooms.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Sep 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #15

God

Actually dude, we all live in a phallus centric universe. Its the creational fire in physics, biology and celestial mechanics. Sex is the duality of force that drives everything, and so I used the sexual aspect because that alters peoples perceptions of a mushroom more dramatically than any other aspect.

LSD is purely synthetic, but the effects are so similar that it can't be ignored.
+Quote Post
Culture
post Sep 19, 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #16

Overlord

Member No.: 4711

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Sep 19, 2006, 08:02 AM) *

Actually dude, we all live in a phallus centric universe. Its the creational fire in physics, biology and celestial mechanics. Sex is the duality of force that drives everything, and so I used the sexual aspect because that alters peoples perceptions of a mushroom more dramatically than any other aspect.

LSD is purely synthetic, but the effects are so similar that it can't be ignored.

See the avatar? :-)

There is a distinct difference between psilocybe and lysergic acid diethylamide.
Simply because substances are hallucinogenic does not make them or the effect similar.

Mesculine too is different from both of these and by far the most psychedelic.

+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Sep 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #17

God

Yeah I recognise the differences, but the effect is the same, an inner "trip" which usually gives new perspective on your environment or yourself. Spirit quests and mystical experiences are no different to shamanic trances in what they entail, understanding, knowledge or a guide is gained. The little piece of a mathematical and psychedelic god is sitting behind your eyelids reading this as we speak is ingesting and reflecting information like a mirror or electrical speakers. We are but reflections of the ultimate reality which is invisible and driving the Universe and time etc. We are forever reflecting all our truths and sounds in the dance of Shiva or physics. The pattern of life is psychedelic and the mathematics of life is the Golden Ratio. The spiral effect it creates is happening on all levels, becoming ever more orderly as chaos theory predicts.

I am unable to comment on mescaline, but I believe the DMT within our own bodies may give the strongest evidence for things such diverse things as religous visions and UFO abductions. I've been looking into the root of religion, mathematics and consciousness for something I've been writing and feel that any substance growing on the planet which causes mystical and spiritual experiences is extremely important. It grew in abundance due to the large mammals on grasslands crapping cowpats everywhere, magic mushrooms favourite substrate.

I heard Terrence Mckenna speak about similar things and he mentioned a chemical in magic mushrooms that improves binocular rivalry - the left and right eye fighting in the brain. I didn't believe it but I managed to find the research online - do you realise how important that an evolutionary advantage it gave to eat these mushrooms? Then the fact that it heightens the observers experience so that bad things are evil, and good things are heavenly means it could have aided our formation of duality in religion. It can also gives full on spiritual experiences and means this little trippy fellow is a part of our history.

Our duality of belief was caused by our evolution in shamanic societies. The belief that everything is one is central to shamanism/animism and this is beginning to come true within the realm of physics where things have to be described by their effects on the environment. Everything becomes a web of the same basic blocks that somehow have formed into variations.

This is some context to why I believe the Magic Mushroom is an important cultural symbol, and why they are all Gods little children smile.gif
+Quote Post
solartrinity
post Jan 02, 2007, 05:49 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 6743

I have to say that taking magic mushrooms has been one of the most intense experiences in my life and the most life changing. I didnt know that what life was all about till i did my first trip. I could see so much more like air particles, new colours out of the spectrum our eyes can normally see, i felt like doors were being opened inside my brain allowing me to think and percieve in so many ways i never thought possible. I felt an understanding of life and the universe and everything and everything made sense for the trip on mushrooms i seemed to have the intellegence and ability to comprehend and understand why we are here and what life was i found out who i was and that not only am i me but i am also everything. I could feel as if i was everyone and everything all at the same time and percieved myself in everything and everyone all at the same time like I had tapped into universal consiousness and felt such a strong oneness as if i saw god, not as a person but as a united harmonic feeling of oneness of everything.

I was able to percieve at the world as if it was all made up of different vibrations of energy and made up of a never ending pattern that was like patterns similar to fractals. I could feel earth energy and aware that I was existing on a large living and breathing planet which had feelings and emitted a vibe of harmony and balance.

After taking mushrooms I saw life in a completely different way as if i had been born into a new world of understanding and perception. I looked at other people as if they were so blind to existance and followed thier planned out lives as the law and society dictated, the job, marriage, mortgage, cornflakes for brekfast, wash the car on sunday and relax on the 3 piece suite.

I felt like I had been given a glimpse of something so special and that my life wasnt to be rich and have the best of everything but to find peace and truth within my soul.

I have to say that drugs and mind altering substances are looked upon so wrongly in society and as a bad life threatening addiction. All i can say is why have the goverments banned them and made them illegal? Maybe its because they know we will see through the sh*t they are feeding us and change the world. You only have to read the rediculous criminal justice bill to see how scared they really are about any togetherness of people, loud music with rythmic beats and possession and taking of illicit substances. Music is also a way of finding yourself and also of tuning into enlightenment, rythmic beats have existed for years as a togetherness and celebration of harmony and life, how much further will society go till we realise?
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jan 02, 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #19

God

Trips open doors, sometimes to places you never wish to go again. But when you do come back, you are so grateful for the life you are given that it is worth the risk.

I think you only have to look at our mating and courting habits to see animal behaviour and modern shamanism. Dance and trance music, beer and sex, they're not at all related... /sarcasm Beer was a good drug to get us all drunk and have more kids, something that was required in prehistory. This isn't the case now, we're pushing the Earth to its population limits as it is.

Now we are entering areas in science that require us to think outside of our normal conscious perceptions. New ideas are always outside the realms of the norm, and with string theory and nano technology coming into fruition, we will require large leaps of science via even larger leaps of imagination, to pull off the really good tricks. Whats amusing is trying to figure out how many people of high standing were involved in the 60's movement, and how many are still being influenced - or even more amusing is the people who refuse to do any psychedelics because the thought police said its wrong.

We require a larger selection of psychoactives than beer and toxic cigarettes. Legal or not, when people see and experience the damage caused from beer and cigarettes, they automatically feel let down by those in authority and curious of the alternatives.

In a world that allows people to kick the hell out of each other in Ultimate Fighting, or put paralysing botox in their own faces in the ultimate expression of vanity, it is ridiculous that people aren't allowed to eat what the hell they like. The "drug" problem is not about the drug. Its about prohibition and not having an official ritual associated with these substances.

The mushroom is a brilliant example of a simple organism that sees the light and grows a phallus. Poetry in a cowpat.
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jan 02, 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #20

Supreme God

solartrinity said

"I have to say that taking magic mushrooms has been one of the most intense experiences in my life and the most life changing. I didnt know that what life was all about till i did my first trip. I could see so much more like air particles, new colours out of the spectrum our eyes can normally see, i felt like doors were being opened inside my brain allowing me to think and percieve in so many ways i never thought possible. I felt an understanding of life and the universe and everything and everything made sense for the trip on mushrooms i seemed to have the intellegence and ability to comprehend and understand why we are here and what life was i found out who i was and that not only am i me but i am also everything. I could feel as if i was everyone and everything all at the same time and percieved myself in everything and everyone all at the same time like I had tapped into universal consiousness and felt such a strong oneness as if i saw god, not as a person but as a united harmonic feeling of oneness of everything."

Whilst some people poo-pooed my post about antidepressants, I have to say that when I went onto AD's I could almost have written his words myself!!!
I thought I had died and been reborn into a new world!
Multiple consciousness and air particles would not have been written.
+Quote Post
solartrinity
post Jan 02, 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 6743

QUOTE(rhymer @ Jan 03, 2007, 12:23 AM) *

solartrinity said

"I have to say that taking magic mushrooms has been one of the most intense experiences in my life and the most life changing. I didnt know that what life was all about till i did my first trip. I could see so much more like air particles, new colours out of the spectrum our eyes can normally see, i felt like doors were being opened inside my brain allowing me to think and percieve in so many ways i never thought possible. I felt an understanding of life and the universe and everything and everything made sense for the trip on mushrooms i seemed to have the intellegence and ability to comprehend and understand why we are here and what life was i found out who i was and that not only am i me but i am also everything. I could feel as if i was everyone and everything all at the same time and percieved myself in everything and everyone all at the same time like I had tapped into universal consiousness and felt such a strong oneness as if i saw god, not as a person but as a united harmonic feeling of oneness of everything."

Whilst some people poo-pooed my post about antidepressants, I have to say that when I went onto AD's I could almost have written his words myself!!!

I have been on AD's for years but havent felt as amazing as i have on mushrooms, and im a female btw, not a he wink.gif

Emma
Solartrinity
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jan 02, 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #22

Supreme God

QUOTE(rhymer @ Jan 03, 2007, 12:23 AM) *

solartrinity said

Very important point. I have had similar effects coming off ß-blockers! But of course, an individual's physiology and past/present psychology modulates the effects of any neuropharmaceutical.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jan 02, 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #23

Supreme God

QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Sep 19, 2006, 03:48 PM) *
Hi, I believe that God really is in Magic Mushrooms
Read widely and you will find that mushrooms are members of but one kingdom that has organisms that produce hallucinogens, not least the Planta. And note, the wonderful Morning Glory, for example, has no appearance of a fallus. Rather it is a beautiful flower. So you can keep your Stinkhorns, I prefer the Baby Woodrose (http://babywoodrose.com/).
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jan 03, 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #24

God

Im aware there is more than one type of hallucinogen. Datura, Blue Lotus, many different household flowers containing LSA, poisonous frogs, nutmeg, cactus. I've also tried everything except deliriums like datura, and im friendly to frogs so they're off the menu.

What I mean to say is i feel the concept of "god" is within the mushroom, but not exclusive to the mushroom. smile.gif
+Quote Post
simon
post Jan 10, 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #25

Aspiring

Member No.: 6876

What is this God thing that you write of ?
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Mar 05, 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #26

God

It is the thing that just wrote your post. It is the expression we've all been blessed with.
+Quote Post
webby
post Aug 11, 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 12175

Salvia Divinorum
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Aug 14, 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #28

God

What about it? smile.gif
+Quote Post
atha
post Aug 20, 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #29

Aspiring

Member No.: 12120

Have you read about The Blue Pearl experience of Swami Muktananda ? About Bindu -- Nila Bindu, as the doorway to the Absolute ?
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Aug 20, 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #30

Supreme God

I have tried no hallucinogens (unless someone popped me a pill sometime).
I find reality hard enough to comprehend, but still believe that God can only be found in the Temple (or behind it).
Choose your own area of brain matter that qualifies.

The absolute defined:-

Adjective: absolute
1. Perfect or complete or pure
2. Complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers
3. Not limited by law
4. Expressing finality with no implication of possible change
5. Not capable of being violated or infringed

Noun: absolute
1. Something that is conceived or that exists independently and not in relation to other things; something that does not depend on anything else and is beyond human control; something that is not relative

[WordWeb.info]
+Quote Post

19 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles