Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drop the entire poetry section?
Cybert
post Sep 13, 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Awakening

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 5650

I thought this is brain-meta, not psychology-meta. Brain means hard sciences. Math. Physics. Atheism. And most importantly, transhumanism. It means no religion and mysticism. Well, just a suggestion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 13, 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

Ahh! But you’re so wrong there, Cybert! Why do you think that we carry two brain hemispheres? Should we just drop half of our capacity just because at first it appears obscure and unnecessary? Don’t think for a moment that there exists such a thing as an unnecessary corner somewhere in our brain! For it is the brain as a whole that has brought us this far in our evolutionary journey. Just because we don’t understand the role of the mystic in us for a certain purpose, it doesn’t mean it can be disregarded as obsolete. The mystic is a pivotal part of the human experience, and just as important as reason on our quest for the ultimate truth. The poetry forum belongs here just as much as the rest of BM, in my opinion.
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 14, 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #3

Awakening

QUOTE(code buttons @ Sep 14, 2006, 05:12 AM) *

Ahh! But you’re so wrong there, Cybert! Why do you think that we carry two brain hemispheres? Should we just drop half of our capacity just because at first it appears obscure and unnecessary? Don’t think for a moment that there exists such a thing as an unnecessary corner somewhere in our brain! For it is the brain as a whole that has brought us this far in our evolutionary journey. Just because we don’t understand the role of the mystic in us for a certain purpose, it doesn’t mean it can be disregarded as obsolete. The mystic is a pivotal part of the human experience, and just as important as reason on our quest for the ultimate truth. The poetry forum belongs here just as much as the rest of BM, in my opinion.

That's nice. How much money have you donated? I gave $64 already (before paypal tax).
+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 14, 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

The function of the brain is to generate and sustain mind. Therefore, understanding of the mind (psychology) is very important. To build an artifice to generate mind, then mind must be understood as a requirement imposed on the hardware system to support.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Supreme God

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 14, 2006, 07:36 AM) *

That's nice. How much money have you donated? I gave $64 already (before paypal tax).

I'll match your contribution! let's see the reciept and then the address where to send the money to.
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 14, 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Awakening

QUOTE(code buttons @ Sep 14, 2006, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 14, 2006, 07:36 AM) *

I'll match your contribution! let's see the reciept and then the address where to send the money to.

It's right there on the top. "Donate".
+Quote Post
OnlyNow
post Sep 14, 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #7

Overlord

Member No.: 4822

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 13, 2006, 10:01 PM) *

I thought this is brain-meta, not psychology-meta. Brain means hard sciences. Math. Physics. Atheism. And most importantly, transhumanism. It means no religion and mysticism. Well, just a suggestion.

You may already know this, but by clicking "Active Topics" (not "[all]") near the top-middle of your screen, you can lead a virtually poetry-free existence here.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Sep 14, 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 14, 2006, 04:01 AM) *

religion and mysticism doesnotequal poetry

poetry = religion and mysticism + everything else in the universe (of which brain is a small part)

Hey Hey (a scientist [of 30+ years] and a poet [some say])

ps poetry can mean hard sciences too.

pps the need to provide this response means you (Cybert) are not using your brain effectively. try writing some poetry - it gets the synapses active.

ppps if brain means hard sciences only, then perhaps we should require an entrance qualification for membership of BM. can i suggest a science PhD. can you cut it Cybert?
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Sep 14, 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #9

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

Cybert

Why sigh Bert,
have some fun.
Write a poem
'scuse the pun!

You will have read how to avoid poetry (excuse mine please!).
Poetry does allow expression of ideas in a different format, and has its uses (a diversion for some).
The acronym game is also hardly neuroscience, but it too allows for development of lateral thinking which some think enhances our ability to conceive new ideas.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 15, 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #10

Supreme God

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Sep 14, 2006, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 14, 2006, 04:01 AM) *

religion and mysticism doesnotequal poetry

poetry = religion and mysticism + everything else in the universe (of which brain is a small part)

Hey Hey (a scientist [of 30+ years] and a poet [some say])

ps poetry can mean hard sciences too.

pps the need to provide this response means you (Cybert) are not using your brain effectively. try writing some poetry - it gets the synapses active.

ppps if brain means hard sciences only, then perhaps we should require an entrance qualification for membership of BM. can i suggest a science PhD. can you cut it Cybert?

Well said, Hey Hey. Your feelings on poetry are quite impressive. And I say this with the deepest respect and admiration.
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 15, 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #11

Awakening

How many of you have donated? Those who donate should get top priority with regards to feedback.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 15, 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #12

Supreme God

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 15, 2006, 08:11 AM) *

How many of you have donated? Those who donate should get top priority with regards to feedback.

So you just got here and right off the bat you're going to dictate the rules? What are you a proffessional lobbyist? Didn't you just read what Shawn (chief administrator and founder of BrainMeta) had to say about money, donations and the cost to run BM? How ignorant of you to think that money buys you everything (and I'm saying this in the nicest way possible). You should sign up at your local catholic church where they might still sell you a ticket to the resurrection! For your information, BM prides itself in it's independence from the social constrains that money and its trail of corruption brings to the table. Shawn has never asked for money. But if the time comes when it is necessary for BrainMeta to continue function, I'll be glad to be the first one in line to give my last penny to the cause. So, for right now, take your money and shove it where it fits you (and, again I'm saying this in the nicest way possible).
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 15, 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #13

Awakening

QUOTE(code buttons @ Sep 15, 2006, 04:57 PM) *

So you just got here and right off the bat you're going to dictate the rules? What are you a proffessional lobbyist? Didn't you just read what Shawn (chief administrator and founder of BrainMeta) had to say about money, donations and the cost to run BM? How ignorant of you to think that money buys you everything (and I'm saying this in the nicest way possible). You should sign up at your local catholic church where they might still sell you a ticket to the resurrection! For your information, BM prides itself in it's independence from the social constrains that money and its trail of corruption brings to the table. Shawn has never asked for money. But if the time comes when it is necessary for BrainMeta to continue function, I'll be glad to be the first one in line to give my last penny to the cause. So, for right now, take your money and shove it where it fits you (and, again I'm saying this in the nicest way possible).

Relax. I smell testosterone poisoning.
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Sep 15, 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #14

God

Member No.: 4768

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 15, 2006, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(code buttons @ Sep 15, 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Relax. I smell testosterone poisoning.

Cybert money wont buy you anything on BrainMeta, donations are donations, not buying your way up the BM ladder, if you want to donate money, by all means do so, it doesnt change your status on Brain Meta. When you donate youre giving money, you dont buy apart of BrainMeta, this isnt the F**KING NYSE. You have 33 posts and been here for 2 damn days, if anyone should have priority over whose feedback gets more weight itl be those who have been here for years and have thousands of posts. Brain Meta is a meeting of the minds, and deals with both left and right sides of the Brain, what about philosophy? its one of BrainMetas biggest topics and it isnt a hard science either, you should donate money because you want to help out an organization not so you can gloat about it.
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #15

Awakening

Everyone really needs to relax. I was making fun of the money system. Money just makes everyone act funny. I see the entire concept becoming moot in the face of the singularity. I should have zero extra weight--no matter how much money I give. Everything is subject to the master's will (as well as applicable laws of course). I don't know if I even want my donations displayed in the permanent "Donate" link.

All I want is to never have ads (for all people). I subscribe to some sites to remove ads, but I'd much rather the community come together and remove ads for all. I'm sorry if I may have come across as a Tyco or Enron executive.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Sep 15, 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #16

Supreme God

I want to delete this topic and free up some cyberspace for more poetry (Hee, Hee!). Any objections?
+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 16, 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #17

Supreme God

Yes, I object. The arguments for and against poetry and humanities in a brain-mind forum are of historical importance.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Sep 16, 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #18

Supreme God

QUOTE(Rick @ Sep 16, 2006, 04:44 PM) *

Yes, I object. The arguments for and against poetry and humanities in a brain-mind forum are of historical importance.

History might not last forever ...

History is like Chinese whispers ...

There is a lot of history to come ...

A lot of history has gone missing, so history is not really history, more like a mystery ...

You are history (?!*) ...

History cannot be made, it just happened ...

Has rewriting history had its day? ...

This will be put down in history as a non event (?!*) ...

History just seemed to pass me by ...
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 16, 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #19

Supreme God

What is history? I've always wondered. How come Joe didn't make history when he picked-up a glass of wine and then proceeded to drink it up a year ago?
+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 16, 2006, 02:48 PM
Post #20

Supreme God

History is what we choose to remember, a mental construction, as time is. This Web server database (BrainMeta) is a mental prosthesis to help us remember.
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Sep 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #21

God

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Sep 15, 2006, 07:25 PM) *

I want to delete this topic and free up some cyberspace for more poetry (Hee, Hee!). Any objections?

Haha HeyHey some how you can always make me laugh. To go a bit off topic.. I got meself a new laptop and am having lots of fun with it biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Sep 16, 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #22

Supreme God

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Sep 17, 2006, 02:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Sep 15, 2006, 07:25 PM) *

Haha HeyHey some how you can always make me laugh. To go a bit off topic.. I got meself a new laptop and am having lots of fun with it biggrin.gif

I hope it's a MacBook(Pro)!
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Sep 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #23

God

Haha, those r awsome but I had to opt for windows so I could use C# for some programming, macs r supposed to be very reliable or so ive heard.
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 16, 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #24

Awakening

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Sep 17, 2006, 02:31 AM) *

Haha, those r awsome but I had to opt for windows so I could use C# for some programming, macs r supposed to be very reliable or so ive heard.

I believe there is something called GNU.net that replicates most of the .NET environment. Should work on OSX. Oh, and I know I'm going off topic.
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Sep 16, 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #25

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Something I have thought about on and off is branching off from BrainMeta and having a separate, but related, site that is more hardcore; just science and philosophy, mainly centered on expanded consciousness and mind/brain...

The ideas have been incubating for some time. We'll see. It's definitely a possibility.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 16, 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #26

Supreme God

QUOTE(Rick @ Sep 14, 2006, 10:09 AM) *

The function of the brain is to generate and sustain mind. Therefore, understanding of the mind (psychology) is very important. To build an artifice to generate mind, then mind must be understood as a requirement imposed on the hardware system to support.

Quite a task we have ahead of ourselves then, huh? And then when we get there, we gotta start all over again making up a new form of phychology just to understand the female mind. Talk about mission impossible! But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. What really matters here is OnlyNow.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Sep 16, 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #27

Supreme God

QUOTE(Rick @ Sep 16, 2006, 02:48 PM) *

History is what we choose to remember, a mental construction, as time is. This Web server database (BrainMeta) is a mental prosthesis to help us remember.

The beauty of your wisdom lies in its simplicity. Don't mind if I ask you more questions in the future, I hope?
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 16, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #28

Awakening

QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 15, 2006, 04:11 PM) *

Damnit...I needed <sarcasm> tags for this!
+Quote Post
Cybert
post Sep 16, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #29

Awakening

QUOTE(Shawn @ Sep 17, 2006, 03:06 AM) *

Something I have thought about on and off is branching off from BrainMeta and having a separate, but related, site that is more hardcore; just science and philosophy, mainly centered on expanded consciousness and mind/brain...

The ideas have been incubating for some time. We'll see. It's definitely a possibility.

I would be very much for this. The singularity figures into this. I'd love to see a place that's just hardcore enhancement-oriented. Yes, new legs and arms, but more importantly--replacements for areas of the brain. Seems like you could just graft off the "literature & art" and "humor" and maybe "philosophy" section.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 08:14 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles