BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is non-locality a necessary property of consciousness?
Allan
post May 05, 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

It seems to me an argument could be made that non-locality is a necessary property of consciousness, based on introspection. Is this a readily accepted proposition?

In physics, the principle of locality is that distant objects cannot have direct influence on one another. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_locality.

As I interpret it, for one "object" to have influence on another they must come into contact. They must be located in the same space and time. On a quantum level, I realize it is more complicated than this.

A computer does not operate based on non-local phenomena. It uses electrical signals to perform logic and memory operations. However these "signals" only effect each other by direct contact. For example, when data element A and data element B are loaded into the ALU to be added. The sum, C, is produced by a number of individual local phenomena (logic gates coming to stable values over time), that are all connected together in a network.

When I introspect, it seems like my awareness is very single pointed. For example, when I look at a red book on my bookshelf: photons are absorbed by my retina; this sends signals down the optical nerve to the visual cortex; the visual cortex produces the mental image including the color red; then maybe I think something about this book (decipher the words written on it, have a memory regarding what it is about)--this is all going on elsewhere in the brain. However, there seems to be one "I" experiencing all of this. Where is it? The visual cortex may produce this mental image, but to whom does it present it? And really this "I" can't be composed of individual local phenomena strung together, mostly separated by space and time. Therefore, there must be a nonlocal connection between all of this, one aspect of which is the "I" that is perceiving it. non-sequitor ? wink.gif

Anyway, I'm not a scientist nor a philosopher, but am interested in the topic.

allan
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 05, 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 3068

QUOTE (Allan @ May 05, 09:05 AM)
It seems to me an argument could be made that non-locality is a necessary property of consciousness, based on introspection. Is this a readily accepted proposition?

Indeed, the non-locality of consciousness is one of its accepted properties. For more information on this and other properties of consciousness, see the Web pages of noted consciousness researcher David Chalmers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post Sep 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

as long as locality is as well
+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 25, 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Oh, where is it?
+Quote Post
scifell
post Oct 03, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5773

QUOTE(Allan @ May 05, 2005, 11:05 AM) *

However, there seems to be one "I" experiencing all of this. Where is it? The visual cortex may produce this mental image, but to whom does it present it? And really this "I" can't be composed of individual local phenomena strung together, mostly separated by space and time. Therefore, there must be a nonlocal connection between all of this, one aspect of which is the "I" that is perceiving it. non-sequitor ? wink.gif

There is no "I" experiencing it. There is only the mental simulation of an "I" that is spatially related to the experienced object via an experienced bodily self- creating the illusion of a "self" being presented with experiences.

Non-locality isn't a property of consciousness. It is a property of the delusion created by trying to introspect your own consciousness.
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post Oct 03, 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #6

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

QUOTE(scifell @ Oct 03, 2006, 04:43 AM) *

There is no "I" experiencing it. There is only the mental simulation of an "I" that is spatially related to the experienced object via an experienced bodily self- creating the illusion of a "self" being presented with experiences.

Non-locality isn't a property of consciousness. It is a property of the delusion created by trying to introspect your own consciousness.

Sounds like a good Buddhist response.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 06:51 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles